Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
just got a mail from apple advertizing the new rebel xt with 8 megapixel and a "Get close to the action and avoid blurry photos with this lens, featuring Image Stabilizer technology. Canon EF 75-300mm $249.95" among other stuff like Aperture and so.

WTF? i thought the rebel xt is outdated and they sell only the 10MP canon now(i'm not sure though). and has the "Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Lens" really image stabilization for $249?

can any canon expert comment?

andi

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
that lens certainly has no IS. I own one. It's a 'mickey mouse' lens... IMO.

as for the XT, they are probably trying to clear stock.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I thought that I read somewhere that Canon might try to sell both the XT and the XTi for a while, although the difference between that and clearing stock may be somewhat semantic.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
Wow, Apple definitely f'ed this ad up. They advertise that the 75-300 as has IS, but it definitely doesn't:
Here's where the link from the email points.
Closest thing that Canon makes is a 70-300 that has IS, but its over $500!

Canon still lists the XT on their site as a current model. Canon will continue to show both for a while--they still show the 20D and that was replaced a while ago by the 30D. For all intents and purposes the XT is still active product...

People are going to be pissed about that lens though!

Here's a screenshot of the email:
Picture 1.png

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i thought so. the really screwed up. if you want to enter the photography market with aperture, iphoto and you macs then credibility and knowledge are important. that ad is "best buy" level quality at best.

apachie2k

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
was NYC...now MIAMI
i was looking to buy the xt, i guess the xti now since its a lot better. i am new to photography and i am trying to learn as much as i can before christmas (when i hopefully get my camera) what is IS???...does it have something to do with stability (guessing from the e-mail) i am prob. going to wait on buying a new lens since i am so new and they are not really that cheap...:mad:

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
IS is canon's Image Stabilization and it is built inot some of their lenses. It can offer the ability to handhold shots and reduce the need for light by a couple of stops. Some cameras build this into the body. Sigma offers it as OS and Nikon offers it as VR.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
ziwi said:
IS is canon's Image Stabilization and it is built inot some of their lenses. It can offer the ability to handhold shots and reduce the need for light by a couple of stops. Some cameras build this into the body. Sigma offers it as OS and Nikon offers it as VR.
thanks, we know what image stabilization is:rolleyes:
what people are getting at is the fact that apple is advertising a non-IS lense as an IS lense, hich is flat out wrong.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
wmmk said:
thanks, we know what image stabilization is:rolleyes:
what people are getting at is the fact that apple is advertising a non-IS lense as an IS lense, hich is flat out wrong.

:rolleyes:

apachie2k said:
what is IS???...does it have something to do with stability (guessing from the e-mail)

Reading is key.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
i can't seem to find and reference of IS on apple's page of that lens... I did word search of IS, image, stabilization.. nothing relevant came up...

did they correct it or something?

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
bearbo said:
i can't seem to find and reference of IS on apple's page of that lens... I did word search of IS, image, stabilization.. nothing relevant came up...

did they correct it or something?

It's not on Apple's website. The ad in question was in an email Apple sent out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.