Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpsmithdesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
UK
I'm looking to get an 8 plus on release day in Space Grey, but looking through Apple's website, marketing material and devices given to reviewers in the demo area, there is a very strong presence of iPhone 8 with the white front panel, namely the Gold version.

Do you think that Apple is trying to differentiate the X even more by pushing the white front for the 8/plus and black front for the X?

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
of course. apple products by nature are designed for women so it only makes sense to push the most feminine color

watchthesky

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Canada
i don't think it's that deep tbh, probably just used whatever they had around

that said i'm actually really intrigued by this colour? i'm usually not a fan of gold but i want to see if the rosy/coppery undertones i noticed in the keynote show up in real life

Reactions: Blueline29

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Apple is having trouble with producing the new gold color on the stainless steel frame that goes around the iPhone X.

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm looking to get an 8 plus on release day in Space Grey, but looking through Apple's website, marketing material and devices given to reviewers in the demo area, there is a very strong presence of iPhone 8 with the white front panel, namely the Gold version.

Do you think that Apple is trying to differentiate the X even more by pushing the white front for the 8/plus and black front for the X?

No, I think the gold phone & white bezel shows off the glass front/back better. They even made the comment at the announcement that the new glass makes the phone practically shimmer.

Jet Black was all the rage for the 7 because it was shiny and sleek. Gold is being used for marketing the 8 because it shows better with the glass case.

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
Im guessing its because sales for the regular gold phone were dropping. Considering last year on these forums, not too many people were voting that they were purchasing that color. And the Gold color was pretty available and easily found very early on after pre-order/availability started.

They probably realized that they needed a re-fresh for that color which is why it is different this year. and you always are going to promote heavily your "newest" color / model. Hence why we see the X and the gold 8s. Last year was all about the Jet Black since that was new, now its the new gold color!

I think its an interesting new color! But I I like having the black face to the phone instead of the white, so unfortunately for me, the black color is my only option for the 8 plus!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Answer:
  • Look at which region of the world iPhone sales dropped in 2H'16 and 1H'17.
  • Then ask yourself, which color smartphone is most popular in that region.
  • Finally, note why Apple has appointed Isabel Ge Mahe as its first vice president and managing director of its business in Greater China. No other region has such a dedicated top level executive position.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.