Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
Hi airbuspilot,

I believe you can download the printer software from HP's website as they have updated it:

You can also download it from Apple:

Hope one of these works for you.

Regards,
Solouki

P.S. If this doesn't work, you can always unpack the package and edit the version number yourself -- this is what I did, so if you require help just ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: airbuspilot

airbuspilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2022
Hi airbuspilot,

I believe you can download the printer software from HP's website as they have updated it:

Regards,
Solouki

P.S. If this doesn't work, you can always unpack the package and edit the version number yourself -- this is what I did, so if you require help just ask.
Thank you.
Hi airbuspilot,

Regards,
Solouki

Thank you.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The Apple link gets you version 5.1.1 which will install in macOS 12.2.

The one for Monterey at HP seems to be 5.1 and the installer app in the DMG has a 2020 date.

airbuspilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2022
The one I tried was HPPrinterDrivers5.1.dmg. I am hoping this extra "1" as in 5.1.1 will do the trick.
The Apple link gets you version 5.1.1 which will install in macOS 12.2.

The one for Monterey at HP seems to be 5.1 and the installer app in the DMG has a 2020 date.
Thank you so much everyone. I just joined your group after reading you for decades...

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Really!!!, some members went to HP website and got the answers but yet you was not able to? why?

airbuspilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2022
HP could have updated it the day after I downloaded their 5.1. With os 12.2, it will not work. I look forward to this group's links. My printer is currently in another city.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
Hi laptech,

Really!!!, some members went to HP website and got the answers but yet you was not able to? why?

I believe the reason is because before AirPrint was widely available (i.e., before you didn't require a specific driver), Apple used to supply these drivers automatically in earlier macOS versions, but in the latest macOSes Apple hasn't supplied them simply because they were not needed on new printers, but if you have an older printer you may still need to download the drivers. The HP drivers are still the same exact ones as before, but the HP installation package tested if the macOS version was less than 12.0, if so, then it would install. This caused a problem for macOS 12.0.1 since the version check then failed and the drivers would not be installed. I edited the package to change 12.0 to 15.0 so that the drivers could be installed on higher macOS versions. This worked well for my old HP printers.

[Unfortunately, HP didn't immediately update their own driver installation package before macOS 12.0.1 and 12.1 arrived on the scene (unconscionable in my book, but who am I to say), so initially you couldn't download the drivers from HP. They have subsequently updated their driver package however, allowing it to be installed on macOS 12.+.]

Now I believe you can download installation packages from both HP and Apple that will now install under macOS 12.+.

Regards,
Solouki

P.S. If the downloaded installers don't work, it is a very simple single "sed" Terminal command to alter the package so that it will install under macOS 12.+.

Last edited:

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
Ah, I see that there is another thread,

that tells the same story as above.

Solouki

P.S. Take Home Lesson: Search is your friend! (I hadn't searched MacRumors before writing my above explanation in post #11, if I had I wouldn't have needed to write post #11.)

Last edited:

A332

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2022
Joined forum to say thanks for information provided. Yet another Airbus pilot with problem installing the driver via the HP website (Laser Jet P1005). Even today Feb 10 still shows as 5.1 issued Oct 27, 2021 and requiring OS version 12.0 or earlier. The link to the Apple download 5.1.1 did install. Worth noting that the driver date shows as Dec 11, 2020 and that it is not compatible with OS v 12.

Initially no joy as printer identified correctly as connected but document not listed in printer queue. Removed installed P1005 printer in Preferences and reinstalled. All well after computer restart.

(Much appreciate the tech assistance with the driver 5.1.1 link via Apple software!)

If anyone has an idea for a driver for an old ScanSnap S300M portable scanner do advise. It is still of use for some requirements even though there are of course other options using a mobile device.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If anyone has an idea for a driver for an old ScanSnap S300M portable scanner do advise. It is still of use for some requirements even though there are of course other options using a mobile device.
This is semi-old info but did you see this?

A332

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2022
This is semi-old info but did you see this?

Fantastic, thank you. As mentioned at the bottom of the article the V 7.2 software does recognize and function with the old Fujitsu S300M portable scanner although only newer Scansnap models are included in the list of applicable scanners.

Thanks for taking the time to assist!

The move for me to the M1 OS 12+ from OS 10.13 a quantum leap. Will miss being easily able to swap out parts and make upgrades as on the pre 2016 MacBook Pro, but very happy with the 2021 model having OS of this decade.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Here is the video, and Legacy drivers installer pulled from HP FTP server that i used for my HP LaserJet Pro M12... and an older P1102w to get working.

Click show more on the show notes to get the Legacy drivers installer.

airbuspilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2022
What does HP software have to do with Apple?
It's like teaching an old Boeing pilot new French switchology ). Manufacturers always point at each other for driver support... Or in Boeing's case, why is the nose pointing down? Maybe we need a new hardware change...

cherbst

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
1. Download and install Pacifist: https://www.charlessoft.com/

2. Download HP Drivers pack: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888 = will take a while...

3. Mount (double click) the downloaded dmg file.

4. Open Pacifist...(free to use but you need to wait 15 sec if you do not pay for the software).

5. Choose "Open Package" and navigate in Finder to "HP_PrinterSupportManual" and open the file "HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.pkg"

6. Highlight (= click once) the row "HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers Contents".

7. At the top of that window choose Install.

8. And the rest should be as easy to follow!

9, Finally add the printer with the normal procedure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.