Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Ordered the physical Apple card last week and was told by the Apple Card wallet that the card would be shipped out Tuesday which it did from Compton, CA.

UPS app originally said it would be delivered in one day (today - Wednesday) since it's from Compton to Los Angeles - a mere 10 miles away - that made sense.

Now, I just got an update from UPS where I found the card is now going from CA to KY and then will be delivered tomorrow Thursday (2 days) back to CA.

I am not complaining about the service (2 day air) for the card, but when UPS sends a shipment to a local address (delivery by local truck), they instead have to route it to Kentucky - thousands of miles away!

Is this efficient use of shipping ??
sKytW5.png

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Ordered the physical Apple card last week and was told by the Apple Card wallet that the card would be shipped out Tuesday which it did from Compton, CA.

UPS app originally said it would be delivered in one day (today - Wednesday) since it's from Compton to Los Angeles - a mere 10 miles away - that made sense.

Now, I just got an update from UPS where I found the card is now going from CA to KY and then will be delivered tomorrow Thursday (2 days) back to CA.

I am not complaining about the service (2 day air) for the card, but when UPS sends a shipment to a local address (delivery by local truck), they instead have to route it to Kentucky - thousands of miles away!

Is this efficient use of shipping ??
sKytW5.png

True, they are not that efficient. We witness this every September when the new iPhones launch... but they (usually) get delivered on time. Except when they don't - like the extra day on the Apple Card.

Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
True, they are not that efficient. We witness this every September when the new iPhones launch... but they (usually) get delivered on time. Except when they don't - like the extra day on the Apple Card.
Yup, guess that round about shipping route takes place when it gets shipped 1 or 2 day Air.
If GS was smart, they would have shipped local addresses (zone 1) using UPS Ground.
It would be delivered in 1 day!

Guess GS/Apple has lots of shipping money to spend...

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Mine shipped from CA to KY to OR. It’s pretty normal though, they have a huge hub there.

Also, mine shipped 2nd day air, so 2 days was expected.

Reactions: 4sallypat

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I'd make an educated guess the cards are shipped out of CA in a pallet, then broken down and sorted at UPS' Louisville hub. With thousands (I assume) of cards being shipped at once, this makes sense. Perhaps, as the applications settle to dribs and drabs, they'll start sorting at the Compton UPS center.

(Google "UPS Worldport" to see the scale of things at the UPS hub in Louisville.)

As for "Guess GS/Apple has lots of shipping money to spend..." they almost certainly have negotiated a major discount on UPS shipping charges. Every shipper has some kind of negotiated rate with UPS, unless they're really clueless. Even I, who ship 5 packages a year, get 10% off ground/20% off air, just by having an account with UPS. (Plus, I get free shipping labels and free shipping pouches.)

Reactions: teezy and 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Just received the card in 2 days as promised.
Activated easily as soon as the tracking showed it delivered.
Luckily no signature was required.

Since it made the unnecessary long distance cross country travel, here
she is:
rDKgBj.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.