Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I'm using Apple Card, but there is currently no joint account capability. My spouse has no way of charging to the account. I'd like to be able to track all of our spending in the Wallet app, but a joint accounts is needed in order for it to be completely accurate and to provide a full view of our spending habits.

I can't think of any major credit cards that don't offer this, so I would hope that this feature is forthcoming. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I guess by allowing additional authorized users that would undermine the promise Apple card gives you. It may come to that, but like everything Apple does, they usually start off small first.

Reactions: ruslan120

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
It may come to that, but like everything Apple does, they usually start off small first.

I don’t know about y’all, but I like this.

I work in consulting and we live by this principle. Do it small at first but right.

Reactions: 4sallypat

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I'm using Apple Card, but there is currently no joint account capability. My spouse has no way of charging to the account. I'd like to be able to track all of our spending in the Wallet app, but a joint accounts is needed in order for it to be completely accurate and to provide a full view of our spending habits.

I can't think of any major credit cards that don't offer this, so I would hope that this feature is forthcoming. Thoughts?
I think they will, I don’t see any technical reason they couldn’t add additional authorized users at some point. It’s just not a priority right now, is my guess.

Reactions: ruslan120

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
What I understand is the card is per iCloud account and they currently doesn’t have any plan to allow adding an authorized user.
Well on one of the support pages I read it said something like not currently available (don’t remember the exact wording) which to me implies it will could be available.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Apple Goldman Sachs can't even figure out how to do user IDs properly. Joint accounts?

BWAHAHAHA

Accuracy matters. And place the blame where it lies.
[doublepost=1567087715][/doublepost]Two thoughts...

1. They could do something along the lines of Family Sharing like they did for AppStore and iTunes... create a hierarchical structure to allow multiple cards to be connected together...
  2. If you are totally bent on having multiple users on the account, the only option currently would be to share the iCloud account. I share it between my iPhone, my Watch and my iPad... I could also share it with my wife's iPhone and Watch. It could bring a new set of headaches, but at least you could share the Apple Card. I'm actually a bit surprised no one has commented that they've tried this.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I do share Apple ID between myself and my wife (two iPhones, two iPad Minis and two iMacs) and the Apple Card does show up in the Wallet on her iPhone 8+. But she would like a physical card for those stores that still don't do Apple Pay transactions.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
It almost kinda sorta makes sense, if you conceive of the card as being tied to a specific phone and iCloud account - maybe?

What I find odder and for me much more limiting is not being able to download or export data to financial management software like Mint or Quicken.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
It almost kinda sorta makes sense, if you conceive of the card as being tied to a specific phone and iCloud account - maybe?

What I find odder and for me much more limiting is not being able to download or export data to financial management software like Mint or Quicken.
Like joint accounts/authorized users, I think Apple will add data export in a subsequent iOS release. It’s pretty typical for Apple to introduce a new product with a certain set of high priority, must-have features, while additional, nice-to-have functionality is added at a later time.

Reactions: 4sallypat

cawgijoe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Virginia
Any word on joint account? I passed on the card because my wife and I have joint credit cards and we prefer it that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.