Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2016
I don't know If I'm being paranoic or what, but my 2015 MBP is still losing around 10-15% every night. I have Power Nap and Find my mac off and I've tried everything that I could trying to resolve this . I've been having this issue since I got the laptop last year with el Capitan. I talked to Apple Care and the fix for them was to do a clean install of the OS. And here I am, I did a fresh install of 10.12.4 but still loosing 10-15% every night.

Using the terminal command line: pmset -g log I can see that my mac wakes up every few minutes because of some Wifi scanning, Adress Book sync (?¿), Interactive Push services ( what is this apple )...Searching on the web for people with the same issue, I found various posts and threads in the Apple forums addressing this weird behaviour in sleep mode. Until 2015 MBP, the computer should enter sleep mode, and after 3hours, the computer will wake up and then enter again on DEEP sleep mode.

In this 2 threads : https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...-consumes-10-battery-overnight-with-the-lid-c
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7300625?start=120&tstart=0
you can see how some people found out that some Plist files that manage sleep behaviour are different between 2014 and 2015 MBP. The Plist solution seems to not work with 10.12.5, and it break some things for me when I tried it.

I had a 2012 macbook pro that would loose arround 1-3% every night, and of course will last 30 days in sleep mode, but I don't think my 2015 MBP will last 30 days...

Why Apple ? I don't want my macbook to be a phone, I don't want to receive updates in sleep mode. If I close the lid, I want this beauty to sleep til I open it again.. I'm still waiting for a solution, but Apple seems to not being able to help me.

PD: here you can see the full pmset logs https://www.mediafire.com/?gad67cd7mn133ar

Last edited:

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
Funny, my rMB does the exact same thing. A few days ago it still had about 25% left on the battery when I went to bed, and then when I woke up the next morning, it was in suspended mode and had to be connected to the charger in order for it to wake up. And this is also with Power Nap and other features shut off.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Exact same thing here - significant drop in % charge on waking after sleep, all those sleep-related functions disabled.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Well, this is a but weird, because my laptop doesn't lose 10-15% battery overnight. So I'd say that its a bug?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
A bug that I even have after doing a totally fresh install of the OS ?

If its an OS issue then everyone would have it, my 2013 on the latest OS loses barely 2% overnight.

If everyone had the issue the internet would be lit up with complaints about it, they aren't so you have an atypical although not unknown issue, that's just logical. If you just reinstalled OSX and kept everything on your computer then you'll have kept the issues keeping it awake when it should be sleeping.

I'm sorry we can't psychically have a look around your system and try and sort out the problem for you but managing your own software is your issue why not try the steps here to identify it and change the relevant settings or even delete relevant apps to find out if you can stop the issue.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204760

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2016
If its an OS issue then everyone would have it, my 2013 on the latest OS loses barely 2% overnight.

If everyone had the issue the internet would be lit up with complaints about it, they aren't so you have an atypical although not unknown issue, that's just logical. If you just reinstalled OSX and kept everything on your computer then you'll have kept the issues keeping it awake when it should be sleeping.

I'm sorry we can't psychically have a look around your system and try and sort out the problem for you but managing your own software is your issue why not try the steps here to identify it and change the relevant settings or even delete relevant apps to find out if you can stop the issue.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204760

hey thanks for the answer, I started from scratch, didn't restore anything from Time Machine, I deleted the SSD and install the OS from an USB. Already tried those things suggested by Apple, I got Do not disturb ON and Bluetooth off

blackcypher

macrumors member
May 3, 2017
Curious, is there any evidence of Apple's Powernap feature possibly being involved in the power drain?

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2016
Curious, is there any evidence of Apple's Powernap feature possibly being involved in the power drain?

It has to be something about enhanced notifications and Power Nap of course, maybe someone that knows about the OS could explain us the sleep logs I posted.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I power off my own MacBook Pro every night. Granted, it's only the 2015 model, but doing so guarantees that it doesn't lose much battery strength…! ;)

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
I have a mid-2014 rMBP 15" on latest OS and it doesn't lose any charge overnight in sleep mode (maybe 1-2% occasionally). I have even left it for days in sleep mode and it doesn't lose anywhere near 10-15%; wakes right up when I open the lid too, everything right where I left it.

Has to be something going on to cause that kind of loss... I'd be pissed!

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK

That's not true. There is tonnes of device specific code within the OS. It could be problem relating to one of those - therefore only affecting certain machines/models.

Reactions: Patcell

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2016
I have a mid-2014 rMBP 15" on latest OS and it doesn't lose any charge overnight in sleep mode (maybe 1-2% occasionally). I have even left it for days in sleep mode and it doesn't lose anywhere near 10-15%; wakes right up when I open the lid too, everything right where I left it.

Has to be something going on to cause that kind of loss... I'd be pissed!

That's not true. There is tonnes of device specific code within the OS. It could be problem relating to one of those - therefore only affecting certain machines/models.
As I said before, some people found that they changed the sleep behaviour since 2015 Macbook Pros, and this is the issue, I don't want my Mac to be a phone

Reactions: Patcell

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
its not normal. i kind of lose 1% over night (late 2014 15" MBP and same with 12" Mb)

HatMine

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
C:/
I have a rMBP 2015 and I don't lose any charge at all when I put it in sleep mode. This is with the latest update available (10.12.5). I've owned it since launch and again, never noticed any drop in battery whilst in sleep mode.

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2016
I have a rMBP 2015 and I don't lose any charge at all when I put it in sleep mode. This is with the latest update available (10.12.5). I've owned it since launch and again, never noticed any drop in battery whilst in sleep mode.

Can you please introduce : pmset -g in terminal and post here what it shows ? Also, could you write pmset -g log in terminal after an overnight sleep ? Wanna see the output, thanks you very much!

HatMine

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
C:/
Can you please introduce : pmset -g in terminal and post here what it shows ? Also, could you write pmset -g log in terminal after an overnight sleep ? Wanna see the output, thanks you very much!
System-wide power settings:

Currently in use:

standbydelay 10800
standby 1
halfdim 1
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
powernap 0
gpuswitch 2
disksleep 0
sleep 10
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 3
autopoweroff 1
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 10
tcpkeepalive 1
acwake 0
lidwake 1

This is what I got, feel free to check it out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.