Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
I'm interested in learning more about the Apple Chicago flagship store history.

1 -- Does anyone know what the area was exactly before the Apple Chicago flagship store was built? I seem to have heard it was an abandoned car park or it was an old shopping centre that was pulled down. I've tried to verify this looking at Google maps but can't seem to find anything.

2 -- Also, how did Apple come to claim that part of Chicago for its store? Did it go through a public process with the local authorities and people?

3 -- Finally, why did Apple decide to open a flagship store there exactly? Why not just a regular Apple store?

Thanks for all the assistance on the historical aspects. It would be great if there was a wiki created for this kind of interesting detail.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I'm interested in learning more about the Apple Chicago flagship store history.

1 -- Does anyone know what the area was exactly before the Apple Chicago flagship store was built? I seem to have heard it was an abandoned car park or it was an old shopping centre that was pulled down. I've tried to verify this looking at Google maps but can't seem to find anything.

2 -- Also, how did Apple come to claim that part of Chicago for its store? Did it go through a public process with the local authorities and people?

3 -- Finally, why did Apple decide to open a flagship store there exactly? Why not just a regular Apple store?

Thanks for all the assistance on the historical aspects. It would be great if there was a wiki created for this kind of interesting detail.
Google Earth's history shows that it was a pedestrian plaza at least as far back as 2000.

chicago.jpg

Reactions: smacrumon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.