Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pitone78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2021
Hello I need to connect an old Apple Cinema Display 30’’ with macbook pro 2021 anybody know how to connect them? some specific brand adaptor? I used to plug the display in my Macbook pro 2011 through usb+mini display port.

Thanks

pitone78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2021
Thank you Joevt, I have seen there are two option CAC-1510 and CAC-1510 A. Which is the good one?

I also don't understand, it means that I only connect the DVI to the adapter and then the USB C to the MBP?
So I don't need to plug in the USB A as I used to do with Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter I used with MBP 2011.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Thank you Joevt, I have seen there are two option CAC-1510 and CAC-1510 A. Which is the good one?

I also don't understand, it means that I only connect the DVI to the adapter and then the USB C to the MBP?
So I don't need to plug in the USB A as I used to do with Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter I used with MBP 2011.
Correct. DisplayPort does not have enough power for the DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI chip so a USB connection was required for extra power.

The USB-C to Dual Link DVI adapter is already connected to USB so it doesn't need an extra power connection.

As for which one to get, you'll probably need the CAC-1510-A if your Cinema 30" doesn't support HDCP. SwitchResX should be able to get the EDID of the display. The EDID can be examined to determine if it supports HDCP. Whichever you get, if it doesn't work, then you can use Windows (requires a PC or Intel Mac) to run a firmware updater for the adapter to turn it into the other version.

If you already have a Mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter, then you could use that by connecting it to a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter. You also need a USB-A connection using a hub or dock or USB charger or other computer. A hub or dock might have a DisplayPort connector, in that case you need a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter. If it's a USB-C dock instead of a Thunderbolt hub/dock, it might work with a DisplayPort to Dual Link Adapter only up to 1280x800 since the USB-C dock will only have 2 lanes of DisplayPort while the adapter requires four lanes of HBR to support 2560x1600. However, if the USB-C dock contains an MST hub (like the CalDigit SOHO), then the MST hub can convert 2 lanes of HBR3 to 4 lanes of HBR. There exist USB-C docks that only support USB 2.0 (Cable Matters has a examples) - those will allow 4 lanes of DisplayPort. A Thunderbolt 3 or 4 dock or hub will allow two 4-lane DisplayPort connections.

pitone78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2021
Joevt, thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I run SwitchResX and I found that it does not support HDCP. I ordered the CAC-1510-A and it will arrives next week. I will write here if it worked for other user. Thank you!

MiniMaxHouss

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2020
Quebec, Canada
Correct. DisplayPort does not have enough power for the DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI chip so a USB connection was required for extra power.

The USB-C to Dual Link DVI adapter is already connected to USB so it doesn't need an extra power connection.

As for which one to get, you'll probably need the CAC-1510-A if your Cinema 30" doesn't support HDCP. SwitchResX should be able to get the EDID of the display. The EDID can be examined to determine if it supports HDCP. Whichever you get, if it doesn't work, then you can use Windows (requires a PC or Intel Mac) to run a firmware updater for the adapter to turn it into the other version.

If you already have a Mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter, then you could use that by connecting it to a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter. You also need a USB-A connection using a hub or dock or USB charger or other computer. A hub or dock might have a DisplayPort connector, in that case you need a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter. If it's a USB-C dock instead of a Thunderbolt hub/dock, it might work with a DisplayPort to Dual Link Adapter only up to 1280x800 since the USB-C dock will only have 2 lanes of DisplayPort while the adapter requires four lanes of HBR to support 2560x1600. However, if the USB-C dock contains an MST hub (like the CalDigit SOHO), then the MST hub can convert 2 lanes of HBR3 to 4 lanes of HBR. There exist USB-C docks that only support USB 2.0 (Cable Matters has a examples) - those will allow 4 lanes of DisplayPort. A Thunderbolt 3 or 4 dock or hub will allow two 4-lane DisplayPort connections.
Hi joevt ! As you seem to be well informed on the matter, I was wondering if you could help me.

I currently have a 2016 MacBook Pro (with only the USB-C ports), and an Apple Cinema Display 30.

I use this adapter that I plug to the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter, and I have a standard USB to USB-C adapter to power the Mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter. Everything works great.

Will it continue to work with the M1 MacBook Pro ? I don’t understand why there seems to be a big issue with M1 Macs and the Apple Cinema Display 30. It seems that only the CAC-1510 that you mentioned works.

Can you help me clarify this ?

Thanks !

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hi joevt ! As you seem to be well informed on the matter, I was wondering if you could help me.

I currently have a 2016 MacBook Pro (with only the USB-C ports), and an Apple Cinema Display 30.

I use this adapter that I plug to the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter, and I have a standard USB to USB-C adapter to power the Mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter. Everything works great.

Will it continue to work with the M1 MacBook Pro ? I don’t understand why there seems to be a big issue with M1 Macs and the Apple Cinema Display 30. It seems that only the CAC-1510 that you mentioned works.

Can you help me clarify this ?

Thanks !
I have no experience with M1 Macs. I see no reason why any adapter that works for Intel Mac should not also work for M1 Mac.

MiniMaxHouss

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2020
Quebec, Canada
Joevt, thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I run SwitchResX and I found that it does not support HDCP. I ordered the CAC-1510-A and it will arrives next week. I will write here if it worked for other user. Thank you!

Hi ! How did you find if your display supported HDCP with SwitchResX ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.