Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I went to two different Apple Stores yesterday, and neither of them had the Leather Loop in stock (and there was no stock at surrounding stores either.) Is the Leather Loop being discontinued?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah, they have it online. But why would every single Apple Store in a 100-mile radius be out of stock?

Apple makes regular changes to their band selection all the time. There is no set time frame on how long a band may or may not be available. It could also be an indication newer bands will be eventually updated with colors or not at all.

Spyharpy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2003
Bay Area, CA
The charcoal gray and midnight blue are listed as "new" on the website. I really wanted to try one on but no store near me has one in stock nor attached to the display models. I visited another store out of town and they had one in stock but it was sealed and didn't want to break the seal to just take a look at it. The reviews I read came back with it being one of the more comfortable bands to wear. I may just wind up buying one and return it if it's not what I expect it to be.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The black, stone, storm gray, and bright blue leather loops have been discontinued.
[doublepost=1514256336][/doublepost]
The charcoal gray and midnight blue are listed as "new" on the website. I really wanted to try one on but no store near me has one in stock nor attached to the display models. I visited another store out of town and they had one in stock but it was sealed and didn't want to break the seal to just take a look at it. The reviews I read came back with it being one of the more comfortable bands to wear. I may just wind up buying one and return it if it's not what I expect it to be.
I have a midnight blue loop coming this week. I can take a few pics (when I get it) if that would help.

Last edited:

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
For a while now Leather Loops, Link Bracelets, Modern Buckles, and some other bands are not routinely stocked in stores. I would assume this is because they sold so few of them. Which is a shame - they're definitely my favourite bands.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
For a while now Leather Loops, Link Bracelets, Modern Buckles, and some other bands are not routinely stocked in stores. I would assume this is because they sold so few of them. Which is a shame - they're definitely my favourite bands.
Speaking of which, I am on the hunt for a new 42mm White medium leather. Have you seen any around?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Speaking of which, I am on the hunt for a new 42mm White medium leather. Have you seen any around?
I haven't seen any but I got a sealed one from eBay earlier in the year. I believe I have all the Leather Loop bands now with the exception of this season's. Hopefully I'll find those at some point as they're now sold out on the UK store! :)

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Storm Gray was an early color, first year only; that one, and the Bright Blue are my favs.
Anyone know the diff between Storm and the current Charcoal? They look similar to me.
Can't believe they discontinued Black too.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I haven't seen any but I got a sealed one from eBay earlier in the year. I believe I have all the Leather Loop bands now with the exception of this season's. Hopefully I'll find those at some point as they're now sold out on the UK store! :)
Lucky devil. The only ones I am missing are the white and storm gray.

Last edited:

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Storm Gray was an early color, first year only; that one, and the Bright Blue are my favs.
Anyone know the diff between Storm and the current Charcoal? They look similar to me.
Can't believe they discontinued Black too.
I believe Storm Grey was a March 2016 introduction so not quite a first year colour, but in any case another thread shows a comparison for you: :)
in case you're wondering how the new Charcoal Gray (2017) looks side by side with the original Black (right) and Storm Gray (left) I have attached a photo for comparison.

View attachment 727538

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Have you seen any videos or websites on how to spot a fake Apple leather loop?
I haven't but it's easy to spot a real one. Fakes won't have the laser engraving on the lug.

IMG_1108.JPG

Reactions: derryhumma

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Thank you for the gray comparison link. Storm Gray actually looks richer and darker to me than the pic. I'm sure there is a blue comparison too, I'll have to check for. I like my Bright Blue but the newest blue looks close.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I thought Storm Gray Leather Loop was the 1st year, Spring 2015. I'll check. Sorry, I was thinking of Bright Blue... These two and white are the rarest unless Charcoal and Cosmos are not continued.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I have a feeling that the midnight blue loop has recently (and quietly) been discontinued, even though it is listed a "currently unavailable" on the Apple site. None of the 50 states (that i saw) had any. Best Buy had the "midnight blue" loop on clearance and none of the other leather loops. Best Buy is now sold out of the loop. B&H, who sells loops, isn't even showing the loop on their site. Granted, we could be looking at the effect of some kind of manufacturing problem/availability of the single loop. My gut tels me that that isn't the case. Hopefully, I am wrong.

Last edited:

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Manufacturing defect after 3 years, nah, it's probably low demand. $150 for a 3 year old design, with many cheaper alternatives out there, and the LLs do show wear. Apple's weird color jumbling didn't help. Dropping black seemed odd. I expected the Link bands to go away, very low demand on those. When Watch was released the premium bands were in demand due to newness, but that has worn off. Maybe a slight redesign but I'd think it would have come out with the W3.

I sell the Watch accessories and not much demand for the leather loops. People want the cheaper bands, and at cheaper prices than Apple charges.

Last edited:

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
I have a feeling that the midnight blue loop has recently (and quietly) been discontinued, even though it is listed a "currently unavailable" on the Apple site. None of the 50 states (that i saw) had any. Best Buy had the "midnight blue" loop on clearance and none of the other leather loops. Best Buy is now sold out of the loop. B&H, who sells loops, isn't even showing the loop on their site. Granted, we could be looking at the effect of some kind of manufacturing problem/availability of the single loop. My gut tell me that that isn't the case. Hopefully, I am wrong.

I was shopping for an iPad Air 2 around the same time iPad and iPad Pro were released. I saw the exact same circumstances with the iPad Air 2. Sounds like the band is being discontinued.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
The Link Bracelets disappeared a couple of months ago but came back. For low volume items like these I wouldn't read too much into it. Apple knows these aren't money makers - just like the Stainless Steel and Edition Watches likely aren't moneymakers compared with the R&D and machinery costs - but it serves them well to sell it to keep the loyalists happy. They just don't pay much attention to it and hence the stock is a bit erratic.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002

The link bracelets were always gonna sell relatively poorly because of the high price, but they are stunning signature pieces and will never be completely retired. Sport and nylon bands are the cheap(ish) unit shifters and obviously here to stay. The milanese loops are very versatile and popular and part of the default stainless watch configurations for a reason. Regarding the leather bands, the clear winner seems to be the classic buckle as here choice has actually broadened massively over time; at first it was only available in black; I imagine they sell quite well to everyone who wants a more „formal“ band to dress the watch up; they certainly sold well to me in all those beautiful colours that followed. The leather loops are probably to weird/futuristic looking and not „formal“ enough for potential buyers of more expensive bands; I personally had two but later sold them due to rarely choosing to wear them. The modern buckles were always too expensive and also had a narrower audience due to only being sold for the 38 mm watch (and being the most overtly „feminine“ of all the bands; if the recent price drop doesn‘t help, I can see them disapperaing from the line-up completely, maybe together with the leather loops.

perezr10

macrumors 68010
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I think that Apple will soon discontinue the leather loop entirely and they won’t even be available online. The Classic Buckle soaks up most of the leather buyers. Apple will decide that they don’t really need two leather options.

I doubt that Apple will ever discontinue the expensive link bracelet. It’s the only metal band they have at that price point and it allows people a way to make their watch stand out from the rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.