Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muasachi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
Just looked at the specs

The new iPad Pro doesn't support for HDR10 and Dolby Vision like its predecessor, for me it's quite a bummer, because I own a lot of iTunes Movies.

For those who have the new one, can anybody confirm if we can stream HDR10 or Dolby Vision via USB-C to HDMI adapter?

Thanks!

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
Yes you can.

"Now, you can still download or stream HDR10 and Dolby Vision formats and it'll do a bang-up job displaying them, regardless of where or how you're watching"

muasachi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
I just bought the new 12.9” and connected to my existing Apple Digital AV Adapter
Turned out the adapter doesn’t support HDR

Any idea which adapter I should buy? Not seeing any adapter specifically said that it has HDR support.
Thanks in advance

IMG_2441.jpg

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I just bought the new 12.9” and connected to my existing Apple Digital AV Adapter
Turned out the adapter doesn’t support HDR

Any idea which adapter I should buy? Not seeing any adapter specifically said that it has HDR support.
Thanks in advance

View attachment 804769
Have you tried any third party dongles? Let me try if mine works.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
The previous iPad Pro never listed HDR in its Tech Specs either. It still supports the same level of HDR that the previous iPad Pros supported

muasachi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
BTW
I only get this message for downloaded HDR movies.
If I try to stream iTunes movies from the cloud, it'd just stream SDR version without informing that the adapter doesn't support HDR
[doublepost=1542451144][/doublepost]
The previous iPad Pro never listed HDR in its Tech Specs either. It still supports the same level of HDR that the previous iPad Pros supported
I'm sure they did mention in the Gen 2 keynote, and tech specs before they announce the 3rd gen.
I think they just removed from the site and might save the HDR certified logo for OLED display on iPhone instead.

ipad-pro-hdr-presentation.jpeg

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
BTW
I only get this message for downloaded HDR movies.
If I try to stream iTunes movies from the cloud, it'd just stream SDR version without informing that the adapter doesn't support HDR
[doublepost=1542451144][/doublepost]
I'm sure they did mention in the Gen 2 keynote, and tech specs before they announce the 3rd gen.
I think they just removed from the site and might save the HDR certified logo for OLED display on iPhone instead.

View attachment 804772
Yes they mentioned it in the keynote, but I truly believe that it was never listed in the Tech Specs on the website. I even checked Wayback Machine for several iterations of the 10.5” iPad Pro’s Tech Specs page, and never saw a mention of HDR.

muasachi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
Yes they mentioned it in the keynote, but I truly believe that it was never listed in the Tech Specs on the website. I even checked Wayback Machine for several iterations of the 10.5” iPad Pro’s Tech Specs page, and never saw a mention of HDR.

You might be right, I might misremember it.
I think the worse thing is that on HDR support page, they still only listed iPad Pro 2017 as the only iPad that support HDR
I know they haven't updated the page since last September, but normally they don't miss this kind of things. And it can be confusing for some
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207949#what_content

Now that I can personally confirm it does support HDR on iPad Pro 2018
Still, figuring which type of connector I have to buy to play it on my OLED TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.