Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
I am still looking for a replacement product for the Apple DVD-R pack media. I do not understand why the production of this media was halted. :mad: I have looked at Delkin, Memorex, and now Taiyo Yuden as recommended by someone in the Apple forums, but I am not seeing what I want. :(
I miss the high-quality, error-free media that was Apple-certified. I miss the high-quality, clear plastic cases with white-coloured labels in which each DVD was packaged. I do not want a huge spindle of DVDs. I do not want the DVDs to be packaged in some odd-looking case that won't fit on a shelf. I do not want to be forced to buy aftermarket cases and labels. I want to pay not more than $3 per disc with the case.
What should I buy to replace the defunct Apple DVD-R media?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I am still looking for a replacement product for the Apple DVD-R pack media. I do not understand why the production of this media was halted. :mad: I have looked at Delkin, Memorex, and now Taiyo Yuden as recommended by someone in the Apple forums, but I am not seeing what I want. :(
I miss the high-quality, error-free media that was Apple-certified. I miss the high-quality, clear plastic cases with white-coloured labels in which each DVD was packaged. I do not want a huge spindle of DVDs. I do not want the DVDs to be packaged in some odd-looking case that won't fit on a shelf. I do not want to be forced to buy aftermarket cases and labels. I want to pay not more than $3 per disc with the case.
What should I buy to replace the defunct Apple DVD-R media?

I think DVD media has gotten to the point where everyone makes very good stuff... except TDK who always makes junk. I never bought the Apple DVD-R media since it was a rip off no matter how good it looked and I am pretty sure that Apple rebranded someone elses stuff which they usually do and which usually jacks up the price 15% or more.

Taiyo Yuden makes the best one I have seen so far... the camp I work for burns amost a hundred of them a week during the 8 week summer and 200 of them a few months afterwards and we have never had a problem with them. If you are looking for paying not more than $3 for the DVD and case then you are in luck... since supermediastore.com sells them (many times in bundles) for way less than that. If you are looking for something that has labels from the same company on both the cases and discs :confused: then I think you may be a bit helpless. It's cheaper to buy them separate and since the price is SO LOW in bulk. Supermediastore give bulk buyers a big break by packaging deals when you buy 100 or more... they throw in 100 clear cases or sleeves.

I say grab some inkjet printable DVDs and clear cases. The Taiyo Yuden packs don't come with spindles that you never know what to do with afterwards, in fact they usually don't come with a case. Since you can write on them you won't have to buy labels, or you can print on them (if you have a capable printer) and the cases are clear and cheap... so you win out... unless you are just really picky.

p.s. Apple certified means rebranded and higher priced. It may have been checked by some Apple rep but it isn't worth raising the price 15%... and yes... this doesn't really have anything to do with photography.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Apple's DVDs were rebranded, but it was a good product. I've put thousands of photos on them and never had a retrieval problem or "coaster" outputs.

I like the looks of the Taiyo Yuden product. Thanks for the reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.