Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lightningsalesuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2017
England
So I got my hands on a Dual 2.5GHz G5 for a low price. The graphics card was almost dead. Now replaced I have got into the system and seen that only 4GB of the 8GB of RAM installed on the board is showing up. In errors an error reads :
Last Run: 01/01/1970 01:00
Result: Failed
Failure type: Memory
Memory slots: DIMM0/J11, DIMM1/J12, DIMM2/J13, DIMM3/J14

Are the slots dead or is this a software error?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Swap the RAM sticks around or test them individually per slot. This will isolate if there are certain faulty sticks or a number of slots which won't read.

lightningsalesuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2017
England
Sp3w2rx.jpg

The RAM slots with the RAM Removed will not boot the system. Only the ones with the RAM in let the system boot.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Sp3w2rx.jpg

The RAM slots with the RAM Removed will not boot the system. Only the ones with the RAM in let the system boot.

Aah so if you try those same four RAM sticks in the middle four slots rather than the outer ones, no luck?

And just to confirm, you've tried one stick at a time in all eight slots? It will boot from any of the outer slots but none in the middle? I appreciate it's time consuming but it's necessary to try and get to the root of the problem.

lightningsalesuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2017
England
Yes. I also tried booting with 2 in working slots and 2 in non-working slots and it did not boot. It sees when 2GB are in working and 2GB in not working, It will not boot either.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to go through those troubleshooting steps. Sounds like you've isolated the issue is relating to those slots, so that's where the fault lies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.