Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
I have an appointment with my medical doctor next week and would like to be able to make a spreadsheet of data about heart (BP and pulse) and weight to print and bring along.

So far I have been able to export all data into the export.zip containing the export.xml file, but I have had no luck with importing this xml file into Excel.

Is there a simple way to make a spreadsheet from Apple Health?

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
I have the Withings Health Mate app on my iPhone. Maybe I could sync/import the relevant data from Apple Health into the Withings app? Withings Health Mate is able to export data easily in pdf format.
I have years of valuable health data in my Apple Health app and am afraid to mess things up. Has anybody exported Apple Health data via Withings Health Mate or other third party apps?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I have an appointment with my medical doctor next week and would like to be able to make a spreadsheet of data about heart (BP and pulse) and weight to print and bring along.

So far I have been able to export all data into the export.zip containing the export.xml file, but I have had no luck with importing this xml file into Excel.

xml is the only option from Health app directly. I seem to recall a post a long time ago in the AW forum, try searching there, or maybe the iPhone forum

Reactions: bjolester

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Shortcuts has the ability to query for health data, and thus can create one's own csv file. But can be slow and timeout if asking to dump too much data. So if going this route, need to do bite sized pieces (month? week?) until have historic data dumped. Then can use Automations portion of Shortcuts to do extracts on a schedule (eg. start or end of one's week).

And yes, there are apps in the App Store that might do some of this. Have not looked into these as have not had need to (can easily enter day's BP reading [and a handful of other values] into a spreadsheet, anything more is a bit overkill for me).

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
Shortcuts has the ability to query for health data, and thus can create one's own csv file. But can be slow and timeout if asking to dump too much data. So if going this route, need to do bite sized pieces (month? week?) until have historic data dumped. Then can use Automations portion of Shortcuts to do extracts on a schedule (eg. start or end of one's week).

And yes, there are apps in the App Store that might do some of this. Have not looked into these as have not had need to (can easily enter day's BP reading [and a handful of other values] into a spreadsheet, anything more is a bit overkill for me).
Thank you! I have zero experience with Shortcuts, but I will follow your suggestion and look into the app.
For my MD appointment I need only a few parameters (BP, BPM and weight), but I need to bring data from at least the last 12 months. My MD asked for a spreadsheet in Excel.

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
I have managed to successfully sync Apple Health with the Withings Health Mate app, and import the parameters I need for my MD (BP, heart BPM and weight) into Withings. From the Withings app I am able to export all data in CSV format, which works fine in Excel. I have found a solution that works for me.

Attachments

• IMG_4062.jpeg
    IMG_4062.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: jz0309

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I see you have been able to export your health data but maybe also for other readers there are also apps in the App Store that can export data to e.g. CSV.

A few apps that appear to have export options:

- Heart Reports (3.99 dollar via in-app, no subscription) by Viszt Peter - website

- Simple Health Export CSV (free, optional tip developer) by Eric Wolter

- Health Record Export (4.99 dollar via in-app, no subscription) by HealthyApps LLC

- Health Auto Export - JSON+CSV (24.99 pay once or subscription) by Lybron Sobers - website

- Health Export CSV (subscription either month or year) by Tomas Parizek - website

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
I have now finished exporting Apple Health data to Excel via the Withings Health Mate app. When looking thorough the Excel document I realise that a lot of measurements are missing. Maybe one in five BP measurement is missing in the Withings app. The sync with Apple Health is unreliable or buggy.

I am giving up on trying to export Apple Health data into Excel. Instead I have gone to Apple Health "Blood Pressure" < "Show all data", and taken screen shots of all my measurements. I will print the 25 screenshots and bring this along for the appointment with my MD. A low-tech solution, but I have full control and the print out will be 100% accurate👍 Who needs Excel anyway😄

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle

I exported my health data as a test. It produces a 2.6GB file. Not something to casually work with. That files is a complex XML file with a series of different data types. Without having an app to ready and interpret it or convert parts of it, it’s not going to be very useful.

From my experience with doctors and this kind of data, they generally don’t use the detailed data that we log every day. You are probably better off doing screen shots of the heart rate graphs, print those out, and show those to your doctor who will browse it quickly for trends but not really get into the details.

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
You are probably better off doing screen shots of the heart rate graphs, print those out, and show those to your doctor who will browse it quickly for trends but not really get into the details.
Exactly! I printed 25 pages of blood pressure measurement screen shots and brought along to the appointment. My MD browsed the BP measurements quickly and concluded that I had done a very good job with my lifestyle modification goals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.