Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Well, it's not a conspiracy nut article, claiming Apple deliberately hold off on production to artificially inflate demand. So it's already more true than a lot of the comments you read here. :D

Reactions: Geert76

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I think the reason for shortages is very simple.

Demand for these new iPhones is off-the-charts, people have understood these are the best iPhones Apple has ever made, and people are incredibly motivated to go out and buy one.

I predicted this would happen months before the launch. I was swimming in a sea of pessimism, people telling me the new iPhone would be boring, no compelling reasons to upgrade, sales would suck etc. etc. Well those doomsayers have been utterly proven wrong, Apple has lost none of the old magic and has built two magnificent new iPhones that anyone and everyone wants to own.

Reactions: HEK and bhodinut

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands

Demand for these new iPhones is off-the-charts, people have understood these are the best iPhones Apple has ever made, and people are incredibly motivated to go out and buy one.

I predicted this would happen months before the launch. I was swimming in a sea of pessimism, people telling me the new iPhone would be boring, no compelling reasons to upgrade, sales would suck etc. etc. Well those doomsayers have been utterly proven wrong, Apple has lost none of the old magic and has built two magnificent new iPhones that anyone and everyone wants to own.

is it you, Tim (Cook)???

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Well Apple doesnt use ship for customer orders (they fly them in as we know) but here is what probably happened. The stock in advance of 9/16 was to be carried in via ship for stores etc. It was held hostage by this mess at sea and Apple had to pull/divert customer order stock to the stores thus creating a shortage and preorder nightmare.

I think that pretty much would explain the shortage. Demand is strong/high, yes, but no one knows to what level.

Reactions: Geert76

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago

I haven't seen demand numbers, but it does seem that Apple underestimated the demand. My guess -- which is pure conjecture -- is that Apple ordered fewer iPhones than usual this year because it expected to take a hit based on the non-inclusion of the headphone jack and because it was making relatively minor external changes for a non-S year. I'm further guessing that Apple allowed the early leaks with respect to the headphone jack so buyers would have time to absorb the news (rather than being hit by surprise with bad news at the keynote). And, somewhat to everyone's surprise, the under-the-hood improvements really amounted to something. When you combine those factors with the Samsung debacle, that's a formula for higher-than-expected demand.

Also relevant is the apparent fact, based on a fair bit of anecdotal evidence from the field, that a higher percentage of people are opting for the 7 Plus this time, as opposed to the prior percentage. I'm guessing that Apple is seriously scrambling right now to catch up with demand.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I haven't seen demand numbers, but it does seem that Apple underestimated the demand. My guess -- which is pure conjecture -- is that Apple ordered fewer iPhones than usual this year because it expected to take a hit based on the non-inclusion of the headphone jack and because it was making relatively minor external changes for a non-S year. I'm further guessing that Apple allowed the early leaks with respect to the headphone jack so buyers would have time to absorb the news (rather than being hit by surprise with bad news at the keynote). And, somewhat to everyone's surprise, the under-the-hood improvements really amounted to something. When you combine those factors with the Samsung debacle, that's a formula for higher-than-expected demand.

Also relevant is the apparent fact, based on a fair bit of anecdotal evidence from the field, that a higher percentage of people are opting for the 7 Plus this time, as opposed to the prior percentage. I'm guessing that Apple is seriously scrambling right now to catch up with demand.
So in effect, you are saying Apple should stop basing their sales projections on macrumors posts and go balls out with production. Makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.