Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Red Or Saddle Brown?

• Red

• Saddle Brown

Results are only viewable after voting.

dandan234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2018
Hello! So today I ordered my first apple leather case after having 3 silicone ones. I've decided to switch for the premium feel, and the leather ofc! But I ordered it in the NEW (Late 2017) Product Red color. I was snooping around the forum and thread related to my question, but none of them seem to really answer it. It has been some months since Apple released the new Product Red color, and I wanted to see if anyone has had it for a while to see how the wear and tear show up, and the aftermath of that. Now, I've seen pictures of the saddle brown from brand spanking new to months of use. And must I say WOW! I love the color, and the way it's 'personalized' to you! But I wanted to see the Red option too. I'm really in the middle, but leaning a bot to returning it and switching to saddle brown color. Please post your pictures below, and any advice! I will make a choice based on how the red looks, and the saddle brown after months of use :) thanks! (iPhone 8 Plus - Space Grey)

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I bought my wife a Product RED leather case and she used it for a few months before switching over to silicone. I wasn't a fan of the patina as it had more of a dirty look IMO.

I still have it in a drawer at home so I can post a picture later tonight.

Reactions: Surratt14

angiexm

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2018
I got a red and a brown one before. I would say the brown one aged better than the red one after a few months of use.

Hello! So today I ordered my first apple leather case after having 3 silicone ones. I've decided to switch for the premium feel, and the leather ofc! But I ordered it in the NEW (Late 2017) Product Red color. I was snooping around the forum and thread related to my question, but none of them seem to really answer it. It has been some months since Apple released the new Product Red color, and I wanted to see if anyone has had it for a while to see how the wear and tear show up, and the aftermath of that. Now, I've seen pictures of the saddle brown from brand spanking new to months of use. And must I say WOW! I love the color, and the way it's 'personalized' to you! But I wanted to see the Red option too. I'm really in the middle, but leaning a bot to returning it and switching to saddle brown color. Please post your pictures below, and any advice! I will make a choice based on how the red looks, and the saddle brown after months of use :) thanks! (iPhone 8 Plus - Space Grey)

TheRedOx

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
Chicago, IL
I wasn't a fan of the patina as it had more of a dirty look IMO.
Agreed. The patina on my ProductRed leather case isn't nearly as attractive as the saddle brown. I feel it's more from being in my pocket of my blue pants. The patina on my saddle brown case is mostly artificial though - I just got it last week and sanded it; used some Venetian Cream and then left it to bake in the sun all day.
https://imgur.com/UvPMTE0

UvPMTE0

Last edited:

cobracnvt

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
I had the saddle brown one and it looked great after a few months. Still using it after a few years. I didn't like it at first because it was very slippery waxy feeling, but that wore off after a few weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.