Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
I’m not picky, but there’s a small handful of products I’d have wanted to buy which would have required very little development or effort by Apple to bring to market.

That’s what this thread is about.

What this thread isn’t about are fanciful, theoretical products which would have required Apple to commit to heavy development, cost, and time to fabricate completely new components from scratch — like a dual-CPU PowerBook, an HD iSight FireWire camera, or a G5 Mac mini (perish the thought).

I’ll start.

I’m not complicated, but dang, I wish the the following six products had come to pass:
  • an A1243 extended keyboard (the extended aluminium wired keyboard sold from 2007), but with backlit keys
  • a wired version of the A1339 Magic Trackpad — particularly one which could have USB-docked with the A1243 keyboard
  • a Rev D clamshell iBook G3, with a faster 500MHz CPU and using four empty logic board RAM pads to ship with 128MB of onboard RAM
  • an Apollo 8-powered (PPC MPC 7448 CPU) PowerBook G4 of any size
  • a mid-2012 17-inch MacBook Pro A1297 (honestly, why wasn’t this produced for the users who needed it?)
  • a 12-inch PowerBook G4 with backlit keyboard and more onboard RAM (better distinguishing it from its iBook 12-inch sibling)

InAWhiteRoom

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2021
That would be awesome to see. Has anyone customised a backlit keyboard on a 12-inch G4? Could it be done?

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
That would be awesome to see. Has anyone customised a backlit keyboard on a 12-inch G4? Could it be done?

It would require a re-engineered backlighting sheet layer, as well as keyboard key bracketing with more holes to permit the backlighting sheet layer to reach and light up the clear glyph areas in the PowerBook 12-inch keys (whose keys are mechanically identical to and interchangeable with the keys of all aluminium PowerBooks and aluminium MBPs). Namely, there’s a hole through which the keyboard assembly is connected to the rest of the case, via a long screw which must be removed from the underside of the base. This hole didn’t exist on the 15 and 17-inch models, as those were part of the removable top case assembly which didn’t exist for the 12-inch model.

The other limitation, as memory serves (from tearing down my early ’05 12-inch into donor pieces and also working on the late ’05 15- and 17-inch versions), is the backlighting layer (that “sheet”, along with the location of the LEDs illuminating that sheet) is sliiiightly larger than the surface area of the keyboard itself — which, for the 12-inch model, might be an engineering problem along the left and right sides, whose keyboard reached right up to the edge of the case. On the 15- and 17-inch models, that sheet is integrated into the underside of the top case, which has room for its footprint to be slightly larger than the keyboard footprint.

That said, Apple could have engineered a variant sheet for the 12-inch model which had overlap both above and below the keyboard, minding the hard limit of the sides, but ultimately chose not to — or, something was planned tentatively, but further development on a backlit keyboard was halted when it was clear that migrating to Intel products was going to happen, and the need for a 12-inch model, with its dated 4:3 display ratio, was on its way out with the industry adoption of wide screens formats like 16:10, 16:9, and 8:5.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
a 12-inch PowerBook G4 with backlit keyboard and more onboard RAM (better distinguishing it from its iBook 12-inch sibling)
Add the Mobility Radeon 9550 from the Mid-2005 iBook G4 and the 2 GB RAM ceiling from its 15- and 17-inch siblings and you have a killer machine. Oh, and increase clock speed to (at least) 1.67 GHz if possible. :)

a dual-CPU PowerBook
That does exist as a prototype. :)

the need for a 12-inch model, with its dated 4:3 display ratio, was on its way out with the industry adoption of wide screens formats like 16:10, 16:9, and 8:5.
8:5 == 16:10 :) Joking aside, a widescreen 12" PowerBook or MacBook Pro would have been cool; on the other hand, its resolution would have been 1280×800 or 1440×900 at best (cf. ThinkPad X201): certainly a worthwhile upgrade over 1024×768; yet sticking to a 4:3 aspect ratio would have retained the possibility of installing a higher-resolution 1400×1050 panel.

Last edited:
Reactions: B S Magnet

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
Add the Mobility Radeon 9550 from the Mid-2005 iBook G4 and the 2 GB RAM ceiling from its 15- and 17-inch siblings and you have a killer machine. Oh, and increase clock speed to (at least) 1.67 GHz if possible. :)

All fair game! If the 7448 been added (implying a logic board redesign), I might expect they would have done something to the GPU situation to do it proper justice — even if the 12-inch would never have a DVI port like its bigger sibs.

Another nice thing I woud have loved to see (and which never came to pass), but at a component level, not at the model level (i.e., not directly relevant to this thread in particular): equipping the PowerBooks with the power adapter tested in 2004 and very similar to the Mac mini power adapter plug, except it had an LED indicator built in.

That does exist as a prototype. :)

I AM NOT CARRYING AROUND A BOX OF PLEXIGLAS

Kidding aside, that example was more a singular proof-of-concept and not a prototype (unlike that ’04 prototype with the Mac mini-style plug, which exists with the case and all parts needed to run and behave like a production unit).

8:5 == 16:10 :)

I CANT’ MATHS…

Joking aside, a widescreen 12" PowerBook or MacBook Pro would have been cool; on the other hand, its resolution would have been 1280×800 or

It could have been a remedy to pursue, in lieu of eventually producing the MacBook Air, but by the same token, there may have been few good options for a 12-inch widescreen display suitable for a laptop, ca. 2005–06 development.

1440×900 at best (cf. ThinkPad X201): certainly a worthwhile upgrade over 1024×768; yet sticking to a 4:3 aspect ratio would have retained the possibility of installing a higher-resolution 1400×1050 panel.

The trouble with the nearly-impossible-to-procure BOE-Hydis display is its tech specs weren’t finalized until 30 May 2006 — some two weeks after the 12-inch PowerBook was discontinued — and wasn’t put into production until later in ’06 for the Thinkpads. What vexes me is how only Lenovo seemed to be the only vendor to use that model of display for that short-lived X60/X61 tablet/laptop series. And finding one of those in original confition, even if well-used, is an exercise in futility (which at times makes finding a key lime clamshell iBook in excellent shape seem easy, comparatively speaking).

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
...Snow Leopard on PowerPC?
Power Mac G4s from 2001 and 2002 that didn't for whatever reason gimp themselves to 1.5GB RAM?
An iBook G4 with a 1400x1050, 1152x768, or 1280x854 display?
2005 laptops with 1MB L2 or 4GB RAM?
Rhapsody 5.2?
A laptop that actually did use the 7448?
ADC cards for PCs?
A high res (1600x1200@75Hz) 21" acrylic Studio Display?
Boinkout?
Halo (Macworld 1999)?

I see there's some more in-depth fantasy machines here. I think probably mine would be a 1.67GHz (or even 1.5 would be fine) 7448-powered 3:2 15" iBook I could put DDR2 in, I guess if the iBook survived into 2007. It'd be a pretty nice direct upgrade from my iBook G4 while being more durable than the metal case of the PowerBook G4. It doesn't even need the high-res display, 1280x854 would be entirely fine. I'm starting to really, really like 3:2, so it'd be a must have for me.
As for my perfect desktop... I guess just a PCIe 2.5x4 G5 that doesn't destroy itself? It'd be cool to have a 3GHzx4 G5, but that would require a new low power chip. A nice to have would be standard ATX power supplies, too... maybe a 7457-powered, 1.5GHz MDD. Or an 8641D based Mini.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
a wired version of the A1339 Magic Trackpad — particularly one which could have USB-docked with the A1243 keyboard
This prompted me to dig out my Logitech T651 Mac Edition. It came out about the same time as the first Magic Trackpad and was a cheaper alternative. Rechargeable to boot.

s-l1600.jpg

Officially only compatible with Intel Macs, it still works in a limited way with PPC Macs. Some gestures still work and it is quite usable. While you can use the trackpad while it is charging, the USB port only provides power to to the device and there doesn't appear to be any exchange of data. In short, you still have to connect via BT but at least you always had the option of not worrying about running out of batteries.

Reactions: eyoungren

ahurst

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2021
A 12" PowerBook G4 with a GPU that fully supports QE/CI? The opaque menu bar in Leopard always threw me off, especially since the top-end iBooks had better-supported GPUs.

A black polycarbonate MacBook with a Nvidia GPU, so it could run up to 10.11 instead of being stuck on Lion (I know people have done retrofit logic board mods). Actually, a supremely cool almost-Mac would be a black version of the Mid-2010 plastic unibody MacBook. I always liked that design.

I'm sure others will come to mind, but the last big one I can think of is still teetering on the edge of possibility: a 12" retina MacBook with an M1 CPU (and by consequence a ThunderBolt 4 port instead of a USB-C). Apart from the single port I thought that form factor was so slick, but the thermally-limited Intel M chips barely kept pace with Sandy Bridge MacBooks released 4 years earlier. With an Apple Silicon CPU (and maybe an extra port) it'd be a true spiritual successor to the 12" PowerBook G4.

Reactions: B S Magnet

ervus

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2020
I would have bought a 7448 12" PowerBook from apple. I finally have one and I don't see why apple wouldn't do it.

I would have also bought a quad (or more?) G4 desktop. There were quad 604 computers around, and I don't see why the G4 was limited to 2GB of RAM either. Motorola/Freescale also had a dual core G4 chip that should not have been too hard to hook up. These products would have needed at least a little development effort though.

I suppose in the cutthroat business of selling computers there is little room for refining old product lines because you need to be designing the next big thing all the time.

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
@ervus That (the MPC8641D) didn't come out until 2007, though. The G5 had already been out for five years, and should have been out for seven. Hence why I said the Mini when mentioning it. I'd love to make a quad board with them down the line, but I'd need a lot more experience than I currently do.

@ahurst Yeah, that's kinda weird... I mean, it's not cost since the PowerBook was prosumer.​

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
There were quad 604 computers around, and I don't see why the G4 was limited to 2GB of RAM either.
Yes, I'm not sure what the issue was. Even with G5s RAM was still limited to 2GB per application. If you wanted more than that you had to open another instance of Safari/Photoshop whatever. I suppose at the time 2GB seemed plenty but it didn't take that long for even the Mac Mini to accept 4GB when switching to Intel. I suppose Apple didn't think it was that much of a problem as it shipped the Mac Mini G4 with 512MB in 2005.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
ADC cards for PCs?
They use the AGP Pro slot for supplying power to the display; that slot was not that common on desktop-class PC motherboards. But ADC cards for PCs might have used a different way to handle powering the display...

You mean an 21" LCD? Or a CRT? The 21" CRT already does 1600×1200@85Hz IIRC.

I'm starting to really, really like 3:2, so it'd be a must have for me.
Same here. I love my two MateViews. I'm actually sort of considering getting a third.

a 12" retina MacBook [...] Apart from the single port I thought that form factor was so slick, but the thermally-limited Intel M chips barely kept pace with Sandy Bridge MacBooks released 4 years earlier.
I agree the 2015 was pretty slow (on par with a 2011 MBA as you say) but the last generation (2017) is supposedly quite a bit faster due to substantially higher turbo clocks.

even if the 12-inch would never have a DVI port like its bigger sibs.
You mean a full-size dual-link DVI port? I'd have been fine with a single-link mini-DVI port, but not that VGA thingy iBooks have. Come on, Apple. VGA?!?!?!

there may have been few good options for a 12-inch widescreen display suitable for a laptop, ca. 2005–06 development.
12.1" 1280×768 (15:9) LCDs existed in 2005 and were used in e.g. the Dell Latitude X1 and Samsung Q30.

Rhapsody 5.2?
Or Mac OS X Server 2.0... with the more modern underpinnings of 10.x but the old Platinum GUI.
Alternatively, OS X 10.x could have had themes, Aqua and Platinum being two options.
Or a final version of OS X Server 1.x for PCs... and by the time OS X 10.x with the Aqua GUI was released, Apple could have told PC users that if they wanted "the real deal", i.e. Aqua 'n' stuff, they'd have to get a Mac after all :)

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
You mean an 21" LCD? Or a CRT? The 21" CRT already does 1600×1200@85Hz IIRC.
21" ADC CRT, I thought that there was only a 17" that did 1600x1200@65Hz (but then again, my source is EM...)​
Same here. I love my two MateViews. I'm actually sort of considering getting a third.​
I would love one of those if I can't find a 10-bit VGA DAC (that's above 162MHz -- a frequency that is only useful for flat panels, let alone 1600x1200@75, or 640x480@144) for my recently acuqired Compaq MV920.​
Or Mac OS X Server 2.0... with the more modern underpinnings of 10.x but the old Platinum GUI.
I'd probably just call it something like Mac OS X 1.0 (though I'd not be the one in charge of that) if someone were to make it nowadays now that there's five versions of the canonical OS X, but that's something I'd love. Especially if there was a 1.4 that had Tiger program compatibility, as a fast but useful OS for G3s.​

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
...Snow Leopard on PowerPC?

This is a legit product which should have happened. My opening post was only considering hardware. SL-PPC was very much a thing and, with a nod from up top, would have come to fruition as a merchandised product.

Power Mac G4s from 2001 and 2002 that didn't for whatever reason gimp themselves to 1.5GB RAM?

I don’t know the story behind why those models were limited to 1.5GB.

An iBook G4 with a 1400x1050, 1152x768, or 1280x854 display?

As noted earlier, the iBooks — in particular, the 12-inch variant — was discontinued before the existence of the 12-inch, 20-pin LVDS 1440x1050p display, so that’s a non-starter.

I would need to look into when the first 14-inch 1440x1050p displays were being engineered and by which manufacturers, but my guess is the bulk of those models didn’t come out until after Apple had migrated to Intel. Moreover, a 14-inch display of that resolution on an iBook would have severely cut into sales of the 1440x960 display of the 15-inch PowerBook G4.

So I’m not sure any of these products were on cusp of existing, which is the topic of this discussion.

2005 laptops with 1MB L2 or 4GB RAM?

Do we know of any other 32-bit laptops being sold in 2005 (Intel or AMD) which managed to accommodate all 4GB of RAM? I know @JoyBed has tried to crack that nut with the DLSD PowerBook running PC2 RAM, but hasn’t been successful to date. Even if 32 bits could accommodate 4GB RAM, it doesn’t mean any 32-bit laptop was able to use 4GB due to other technical limitations.

Rhapsody 5.2?

OK, now you’re just spitballing. :p

A laptop that actually did use the 7448?

That was in my list above, as Apple were actively developing a PowerBook to use it before dilly-dallying about it after the Intel announcement, and then leaving Freescale’s development team on the hook until the bitter end. As we know, the redesigned logic board in the DLSD PowerBook models were engineered to accommodate a 7448 CPU.

ADC cards for PCs?

Do you know whether Apple were developing this? If not, then it probably doesn’t fit with this discussion. This isn’t so much about fantasy products as it is about “products which were in some stage of known, active development by Apple — or designed with planned forward-compatibility (like those unused RAM pads on the iBook clamshell logic board) for products which never came to pass, because the company responded to other factors which took the product line in a different direction (like the dual-USB “icebook” iBook G3 which hurriedly got rolled out in May ’01).

I’m aware Radius were always at the fore of high-end CRTs, including 21 and 23-inch CRTs used in the design industry (replete with detachable hoods), but do you know of a vendor at the time which could have supplied Apple with a 21-inch CRT with the ability to display 1600x1200 at 75Hz? If no, then this isn’t an on-the-cusp product.

Boinkout?

What?

Halo (Macworld 1999)?​

Halo wasn’t an Apple product, so nope.

I see there's some more in-depth fantasy machines here.​

Indeed. And a “fantasy machines” thread would be perfect for talking about this kind of stuff — the stuff which was never actually in the works by Apple or technically achievable with the most minor of modification to the production of that product (such as designing a variant of the Magic Trackpad for USB use and not for battery/Bluetooth use).

I think probably mine would be a 1.67GHz (or even 1.5 would be fine) 7448-powered 3:2 15" iBook I could put DDR2 in, I guess if the iBook survived into 2007. It'd be a pretty nice direct upgrade from my iBook G4 while being more durable than the metal case of the PowerBook G4. It doesn't even need the high-res display, 1280x854 would be entirely fine. I'm starting to really, really like 3:2, so it'd be a must have for me.
As for my perfect desktop... I guess just a PCIe 2.5x4 G5 that doesn't destroy itself? It'd be cool to have a 3GHzx4 G5, but that would require a new low power chip. A nice to have would be standard ATX power supplies, too... maybe a 7457-powered, 1.5GHz MDD. Or an 8641D based Mini.​

These deserve their own fantasy thread!

Last edited:

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
I’m aware Radius were always at the fore of high-end CRTs, including 21 and 23-inch CRTs used in the design industry (replete with detachable hoods), but do you know of a vendor at the time which could have supplied Apple with a 21-inch CRT with the ability to display 1600x1200 at 75Hz? If no, then this isn’t an on-the-cusp product.
Yeah, they were around at the time. According to EveryMac (I know), the previous VGA 21" could do 1600x1200@85Hz, which is probably what Amethyst1 was talking about. Sony could definitely do it, considering the FW900 released prior to July 24, 2000.
You are right about the other stuff, I kinda lost track of the thread. However, I know. Just because we have 10.6 PPC doesn't mean it ever sold!​

Last edited:

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
A 12" PowerBook G4 with a GPU that fully supports QE/CI? The opaque menu bar in Leopard always threw me off, especially since the top-end iBooks had better-supported GPUs.

The 12-inch PowerBook was an oddball for a number of reasons, and I’m about 98 per cent certain the design team of the 12-inch PowerBook was the same team behind the design of the 12- and 14-inch iBooks (as opposed to the team involved with the design of the 17- and 15-inch aluminium models). As to why that team didn’t manage to improve the GPU or the onboard RAM remains kind of a mystery to me.

A black polycarbonate MacBook with a Nvidia GPU, so it could run up to 10.11 instead of being stuck on Lion (I know people have done retrofit logic board mods). Actually, a supremely cool almost-Mac would be a black version of the Mid-2010 plastic unibody MacBook. I always liked that design.

Indeed! I never understood why the 2009 A1181s were only brought back in white!

Related: the top case assembly of all A1181s (including the 2009 variant capable of running 10.11) had the physical room to accommodate the backlighting tech already in use on the aluminium ’books and, later, used in the unibody MBPs (whose keyboard assembly construction used the same form factor keys from the A1181s) — even if it were only an add-on option. For the Blackbook, this feature would have come in especially handy in low light settings.

I'm sure others will come to mind, but the last big one I can think of is still teetering on the edge of possibility: a 12" retina MacBook with an M1 CPU (and by consequence a ThunderBolt 4 port instead of a USB-C). Apart from the single port I thought that form factor was so slick, but the thermally-limited Intel M chips barely kept pace with Sandy Bridge MacBooks released 4 years earlier. With an Apple Silicon CPU (and maybe an extra port) it'd be a true spiritual successor to the 12" PowerBook G4.

Those are all good points, and ones I hadn’t thought to consider before.

Last edited:
Reactions: ahurst

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
Now this one hopefully exists as a 15" or 17" prototype somewhere as they appeared to build some boards
  • a mid-2012 17-inch MacBook Pro A1297 (honestly, why wasn’t this produced for the users who needed it?)
A slightly different one from me - a 2012 Unibody Macbook Pro with a retina display. Of course this wasn't created as it would have created confusion with the retina models, but would have been amazing... imagine if they'd kept the unibody 15" with retina through to 2015... I'd probably still be using one now.

• a 12-inch PowerBook G4 with backlit keyboard and more onboard RAM (better distinguishing it from its iBook 12-inch sibling)
I really wanted this on mine from 2004-5; it seemed such a strange omission.

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
OK, now you’re just spitballing. :p
I am, but it was something they had and could potentially have released! It branched off into X Server and X DP according to Shaw, and was going to be released but got pulled last minute.​
Do we know of any other 32-bit laptops being sold in 2005 (Intel or AMD) which managed to accommodate all 4GB of RAM? I know @JoyBed has tried to crack that nut with the DLSD PowerBook running PC2 RAM, but hasn’t been successful to date. Even if 32 bits could accommodate 4GB RAM, it doesn’t mean any 32-bit laptop was able to use 4GB due to other technical limitations.
I looked to try to answer and no, I can't think of any. Even the $4000 Alienware laptops maxed out at 2GB. Still, 1MB cache would be nice and that's something PowerBooks have had since at least 1999! I guess that ties in with the 7448 thing, though.​
Moreover, a 14-inch display of that resolution on an iBook would have severely cut into sales of the 1440x960 display of the 15-inch PowerBook G4.
1400x1050, sure, but 1152x768 hadn't been used on PBs since like 2002, and they definitely had the display technology available!

To suggest something more on topic: a 21" VGA Studio Display that didn't have ugly legs for support.​

Last edited:

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
Now this one hopefully exists as a 15" or 17" prototype somewhere as they appeared to build some boards

I have little doubt there were mules kicking about internally (they were, after all, actively working with Freescale — up to a point — on that product), but I also couldn’t guess how many survived from being destroyed, as most prototypes and mules ultimately end up. The logic boards — sans CPUs — were the ones used for the final run of PowerBook 15- and 17-inch models, as the new boards were intended to be used beyond when they actually were. Inside the DLSD PowerBooks, there are a few labels and inscriptions found on flat cables specifying “for use on 1.67 GHz or higher” configurations.

A slightly different one from me - a 2012 Unibody Macbook Pro with a retina display. Of course this wasn't created as it would have created confusion with the retina models, but would have been amazing... imagine if they'd kept the unibody 15" with retina through to 2015... I'd probably still be using one now.

Probably, yes.

I was disappointed with the company’s emphasis on “thinning” behind the re-engineering of the unibody form factor, as doing so we as consumers lost many invaluable ports (including an integrated ethernet port) and parts modularity — leading to fundamental problems like RAM which could not be upgraded as one’s needs required it during the span of ownership.

I have no idea whether Apple even attempted to shove a retina-resolution display into a unibody mule. But a 17-inch unibody with such a display would have been devastatingly amazing to work with.

I really wanted this on mine from 2004-5; it seemed such a strange omission.

I suss it to the engineering constraints of the tight form factor itself and also being unable to use an adapted version of the system from the larger PowerBooks. The 12-inch PowerBook was, frankly, a chip off the old iBook’s block, and the placement and overall construction of the internals hew to the iBooks far more than the larger PowerBooks.

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I would love one of those if I can't find a 10-bit VGA DAC (that's above 162MHz -- a frequency that is only useful for flat panels, let alone 1600x1200@75, or 640x480@144) for my recently acuqired Compaq MV920.
Plugable have a USB-C (i.e. DisplayPort Alternate Mode) to VGA adapter that can go quite high (330 MHz?). If you don't have a USB-C port supplying video to hook this up to, adapters from DisplayPort or HDMI to USB-C do exist but can be a bit pricey. I use a Wacom Link Plus which is like 70 bucks.

I would need to look into when the first 14-inch 1440x1050p displays were being engineered
The ThinkPad T21 was released in 2001 and had an optional 14" 1400×1050 panel.

I have no idea whether Apple even attempted to shove a retina-resolution display into a unibody mule. But a 17-inch unibody with such a display would have been devastatingly amazing to work with.
I wonder how difficult it would be to retrofit a HiDPI display into a 2012 13"/15" unibody MBP. I mean, the hardware is largely the same as the retina MBP. As for a 17" 3280×2050 retina MBP... yummy!

21" ADC CRT, I thought that there was only a 17" that did 1600x1200@65Hz (but then again, my source is EM...)
Ah, I missed that ADC bit. I thought you were referring to a non-ADC 21" CRT. Sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: lepidotós

Doq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
If that dual G4 PowerBook prototype came to be, that'd be pretty nice. Or a G5 PowerBook. Actually that's for the other thread.

Reactions: lepidotós

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
If that dual G4 PowerBook prototype came to be, that'd be pretty nice. Or a G5 PowerBook. Actually that's for the other thread.

I think there’s good reason why the dual G4 laptop has only ever been seen ensconced within a voluminous plexiglas case: the amount of cooling needed to handle two discrete CPUs and the GPU and the memory controller inside the usual 17-inch G4 case would have, at the very lest, necessitated a third fan and a total re-engineering of the heat sinks/ductile/ventilation system — including longer “gill” slits along the sides (the ones closer to the user, not the display). At the time, it was probably not feasible beyond a one-off board as a basic proof-of-concept. For all anyone knows, the dual-CPU configuration was requested from up top, and its outcome being one of the nails in the coffin for continuing to use the PowerPC architecture, especially for portables.

I wouldn’t even begin to fathom where one might have found room within the case for all that extra stuff.

Reactions: Doq
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.