Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacWinGuy:-)

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2023
Hi everyone on this fine forum,
I hope you can help me out. I got this Intel MacBook with a touchID. (16", i9, 64GB RAM, 5600M 8GB HBM - the last Intel MBP, ever?)

I was thinking to hook up a "magic" keyboard and, of course, wanting to continue to use the touchID on the external keyboard.

I was just about to hit the buy button, when I realized that the fine print stated "for Silicon".
And sure enough, Apple's "support page" stated that as well together with info about "Secure Enclave" and "PKA-block" but nowhere could I find the answer I was looking for. That's where Macrumors come in - right?! ;-)

I just couldn't find any clues or help to explain why I can't get a magic touch id keyboard to work with my MBP (that does have the touchID on it's laptop keyboard).

Long story short: I've only found references to "silicon" or M1 and not for my Intel machine. Which, for me, is very strange since I have the sensor and the software (running Ventura via OCLP which works great).

I was about to give up, when I came to think of this fine forum that have helped me more than once when looking for something out of the ordinary. But this specifik topic I couldn't find unfortunately.

Like they said in the 1st Star Wars: You are my only hope... LOL

Any way, if anybody can jump in and give me a push forward or just stop me in my tracks, I'd be grateful.
Either I can pursue or just forget about it (but not before you fine forum members have stated what gives).

Thank you all for reading.
I sure hope to get some kind of response.

Thanks and take care!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Touch ID on the external keyboard will not work on any Intel Mac at all. There's no way to trick it into working either.
You should be able to use the keyboard, just without the Touch ID functionality, but you might as well save money and get the regular Magic Keyboard instead.

Patchwork

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Near Preston, UK
As chrfr says touch id doesn't work with Intel macs. The key is the Secure Enclave part. Secure Enclave is a specific part of an Apple A-Series chips used to store especially sensitive information, such as Touch ID and Face ID, and runs a separate kernel to increase security. Being part of the A-Series chip is the reason why Touch ID on the new Apple keyboards require Apple Silicon Macs. Could Apple have made a version that works with older Macs? Almost certainly yes but when has Apple ever turned down the chance of getting users to spend more money.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2023
Touch ID on the external keyboard will not work on any Intel Mac at all. There's no way to trick it into working either.
You should be able to use the keyboard, just without the Touch ID functionality, but you might as well save money and get the regular Magic Keyboard instead.
Thanks for replying chrfr!
I had a bad feeling that it was a dead end… but givning up? Never! ;-)

Oh, I have keyboards cable and wireless. And they work.
I just wanted the darn Touch ID to work on an external keyboard.

Anyway, thanks again for replying!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2023
As chrfr says touch id doesn't work with Intel macs. The key is the Secure Enclave part. Secure Enclave is a specific part of an Apple A-Series chips used to store especially sensitive information, such as Touch ID and Face ID, and runs a separate kernel to increase security. Being part of the A-Series chip is the reason why Touch ID on the new Apple keyboards require Apple Silicon Macs. Could Apple have made a version that works with older Macs? Almost certainly yes but when has Apple ever turned down the chance of getting users to spend more money.
Thanks for that in-depth explanation Patchwork!

From the sound of it, the enclave is Apple’s proprietary tpm of sorts.
Well, that explains the many references to Apple Silicon I saw. But you explained it to me with 2-3 lines!

And I gather that backward compatibility wasn’t one of the main design targets or even considered since they had taken the step to go their own way. And perhaps the Touch ID function isn’t something users are willing to pay 50 bucks or more to get when acquiring a keyboard either?

Anyway, I have to swallow the hard fact but thanks for giving me what I hoped to get: an answer.
You and chrfr certainly helped me out.
Thanks fellas for your time and answers.

I will continue to use my excellent keyboard and new mouse from Logitech. It got 3 Bluetooth profiles on both which means that I can use them separately for my MBP and my 2 27 inch iMacs. Attaching a corded keyboard to go into single mode and to reset parameter ram.

Apple have succeeded in not getting my money and have succeeded to make me very aware.

Just adding to what you said about Apple and money: On one hand I think that Apple’s use of NEXT by using a Unix kernel with the MacOS interface and integrating their line-ups into their ecosystem with handoff, iCloud and more is excellent and worth something. There are no free lunches. Period!
On the other hand I think it’s a shame that Apple stop providing their users/customers with software upgrades after just a couple of years. Thankfully there are initiatives that let users to continue and use fully functioning hardware. Good for the planet and the wallet! Why fix something if it isn’t broken? ;-) But sure, they really squeeze their users. But aside of words like amazing, beautiful, excellence and what have you there always are long lines in queue to get the latest iPhone. That blows me away every time. Future will tell if Apple silicon will be a success (they are getting hotter and noisier). I was around with the PowerPC, need I say more? But I have also seen and used Windows since 1987-88 and Ctrl-C and other short cuts wasn’t the original keys. I stop here. I sound like an old relic and very much off topic. Sorry fellas.

All the best and thanks again for replying!

And thank you Macrumors for the arena of fine talented people - I sure am a fan!

Kontikonsumi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2020
Will this keyboard work with an old 2015 retina Macbook pro? Would be happy about any real life reports, thanks!

Kontikonsumi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2020
The keyboard itself will work, but the Touch ID won’t: as others already said this is for silicon only Macs, meaning Macs released after November 2020.
ok, thanks. Which model and os do you use, with this touch ID keyboard? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.