Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
On my iPad Air I will begin an email using Apple Mail. My settings in iOS9 are to use my default gmail address as the default email "FROM" address.

During typing some emails, Apple Mail will switch the FROM address to another account at gmail. WHY???? Usually I never realize until I get a bounced email refusing to accept the sent email from the unknown mailbox address.

Do we have to manually always check before sending email, or have I told Apple Mail to switch in some preference setting?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You should check before sending. In Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars under Default Account my iPhone reads "Messages created outside of Mail will be sent from this account by default." So I guess that's the only behavior promised.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
On my iPad Air I will begin an email using Apple Mail. My settings in iOS9 are to use my default gmail address as the default email "FROM" address.

During typing some emails, Apple Mail will switch the FROM address to another account at gmail. WHY???? Usually I never realize until I get a bounced email refusing to accept the sent email from the unknown mailbox address.

Do we have to manually always check before sending email, or have I told Apple Mail to switch in some preference setting?
It could be that the outgoing servers for the two accounts are different, and one of them is unavailable. If the outgoing server is unavailable, I assume that IOS will try to send it via another server. I know for certain that this is the way OS X mail works, and assume that IOS does it the same way.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
It could be that the outgoing servers for the two accounts are different, and one of them is unavailable. If the outgoing server is unavailable, I assume that IOS will try to send it via another server. I know for certain that this is the way OS X mail works, and assume that IOS does it the same way.
Sounds plausible, but I immediately sent the email again and it is accepted as it is sent from the default account. Just weird behavior.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Sounds plausible, but I immediately sent the email again and it is accepted as it is sent from the default account. Just weird behavior.
It would certainly be easy enough to look at the outgoing server settings on your device. At least that would help you narrow down the problem...As it stands right now, we are just guessing.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
It would certainly be easy enough to look at the outgoing server settings on your device. At least that would help you narrow down the problem...As it stands right now, we are just guessing.

Why would Apple create a command for choosing the default mailing account, then allow "whatever" to change it while typing an email? There has to be some command I have changed to interfere with changing the default email account as I type a standard email message.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm not sure where you're getting the notion that Mail and the "Default Account" would behave in the manner you're expecting. I don't see anything at Apple's support site that implies this.

Certainly, I wish it were the case.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Its done this for a while. It senses who you normally email to and from what account and auto switches the "from" account accordingly.

There's no way to undo it except manually adjust the from address until iOS re-learns it.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Its done this for a while. It senses who you normally email to and from what account and auto switches the "from" account accordingly.

There's no way to undo it except manually adjust the from address until iOS re-learns it.

I don't understand why I am given a choice of default account to mail from, then iOS determines something completely different. I am not changing what account I mail from, I ONLY want mail to go from the default account. I NEVER want any other account!

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't understand why I am given a choice of default account to mail from, then iOS determines something completely different. I am not changing what account I mail from, I ONLY want mail to go from the default account. I NEVER want any other account!

Per my post above that is not the way the default account works. Has iOS selected something other than your chosen default account when creating a message outside of mail?

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Per my post above that is not the way the default account works. Has iOS selected something other than your chosen default account when creating a message outside of mail?
As I explained above:
I choose a default outgoing mail account in iOS Mail preferences.
Later, I open iOS Apple Mail and choose a contact to send to.
As I am typing my message to the contact,
iOS Mail switches the outgoing mail account to something other than my default outgoing account.
WHY????????

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
As I explained above:
I choose a default outgoing mail account in iOS Mail preferences.
Later, I open iOS Apple Mail and choose a contact to send to.
As I am typing my message to the contact,
iOS Mail switches the outgoing mail account to something other than my default outgoing account.
WHY????????

You are correct. It seems the default account setting seems to be useful only when sending an email to a new recipient no matter if you start the email in Mail or via an outside app. The "From" account likes to switch, it appears to me, to the one that is either most associated, or last associated, with previous mail to or from that contact. What actual data it refers to to make the switch is a mystery to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.