Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I like to wheel and and deal on Craigslist a lot. Since deals are usually first come first serve, I want to be notified via alert when the seller replies to my inquiry. The challenge is the the sender's ( or from ) address is a dynamically generated address at the sales.craigslist.com domain.

I created a rule ( screenshot attached ) in Apple Mail that says it will send a notification when any mail from that domain is received, but it hasn't work for me.

Has anyone gotten this to work or perhaps has a better way of accomplishing my goal?

I'm on 2018 Mac Mini running macOS 10.15.5.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 10.13.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 10.13.25 PM.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 253

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I can confirm that the notification isn't showing here with a test of that functionality. The rule *does* trigger: a simple AppleScript will fire, and show a notification, but the built in "Send Notification" seems to have a bug.

Reactions: jagooch

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
I like to wheel and and deal on Craigslist a lot. Since deals are usually first come first serve, I want to be notified via alert when the seller replies to my inquiry. The challenge is the the sender's ( or from ) address is a dynamically generated address at the sales.craigslist.com domain.

I created a rule ( screenshot attached ) in Apple Mail that says it will send a notification when any mail from that domain is received, but it hasn't work for me.

Has anyone gotten this to work or perhaps has a better way of accomplishing my goal?

I'm on 2018 Mac Mini running macOS 10.15.5.

in the case you have other rules in Rules, its always advisable to add as the last term in each Rule the term "Stop evaluating rules" as the last condition in each rule.

"Sending a notification" is working on my system.

Last edited:
Reactions: jagooch

polishedStaple

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
in the case you have other rules in Rules, its always advisable to add as the last term in each Rule the term "Stop evaluating rules" as the last condition in each rule.

"Sending a notification" is working on my system.

jpn, can you please explain why this is important to do? I have about 50 rules, and it would take some time to go in and add this to the bottom of each one. But maybe this is the fix for my current problem.... the Send Notification action doesn't always work. It seems sporadic.

polishedStaple

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
You can use a script for this.

Yes, but can someone explain to me why it's important to end each rule with "Stop evaluating rules"? I was under the impression that once one of the rules applied to an email, that Mac Mail would go on processing the next incoming email. Thank you for your patience with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.