Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I find Apple Maps displayed speed limits to be:

• 25% accurate

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 50% accurate

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 75% accurate

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • 100% accurate

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

one more

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I find Apple Maps displayed speed limits rather inaccurate and would like to collect some more data from different countries. Please note the Maps speed limits accuracy for you and mention your country or state.

one more

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
In South-East France it is quite random at the moment, so I could rate it as 50% accurate.

NoGood@Usernames

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2020
United States
In the USA, so far I have found them completely accurate everywhere I’ve been, even on small back roads where the data is available. Obviously, this is likely to be quite location dependent and much less available/reliable outside the USA (as is sadly common across most Apple services).

Reactions: blueeyes2die4

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Would have to compare for other places, but the one issue is it will always show 15 in the one school zone even outside of the hours.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I travel predominantly in England and Wales in the UK and I'd say it's around 90% accurate. Apple don't seem to have a process where speed limits have been reduced for safety reasons, as most of the inaccuracies are where there have been changes in the last year.

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
The USA is pretty consistent when it comes to speed limits and they are rarely "adjustable."

There are obviously exceptions for school zones and similar temporary time based changes like construction zones.

I've always wondered why they are unable to adjust or at least issue a warning of some sort that one is approaching or driving through a school zone...at a minimum. I understand the difficulty of adding the coomplexity of a time based/day based setting, but at least give a pop up which I can ignore on the weekends or over the summer.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
The USA is pretty consistent when it comes to speed limits and they are rarely "adjustable."

There are obviously exceptions for school zones and similar temporary time based changes like construction zones.

I've always wondered why they are unable to adjust or at least issue a warning of some sort that one is approaching or driving through a school zone...at a minimum. I understand the difficulty of adding the coomplexity of a time based/day based setting, but at least give a pop up which I can ignore on the weekends or over the summer.
Seems to pick up on the construction ones if they put a different speed limit sign there. Which is also why it does the 15 for school zone. It just isn't programmed to see it's a school zone sign and adjust based on date/time

one more

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Thank you for the feedback, guys. I have turned speed limit display off for now, as it is rather inaccurate for me, but will check it out again in a few weeks. ✋ Still think Apple should use their AI tools to cross-verify them, at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.