Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
When Apple Maps is in progress of giving directions, mapping data (updated visuals, voice feedback, etc) suddenly stops. It resumes once the phone is picked up.

I’ve been trying hard to find the cause and I think I figured it out. When driving I put my phone between the seat and my thighs. It seems that:
1) auto brightness causes the bug (to an extent)
2) the more firm against the body the more the bug is apparent.

I kept auto brightness on and simulated a dark environment (like my thigh/seat would cause) and the maps data doesn’t update. With auto brightness off it does.

I then put the phone as firm as possible (half the display between thigh and seat and half out) without AB. And I get the same results as if AB is off.

I might have a weird usage pattern but I’m hopping others can help/replicate it so I can submit a bug.

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
More likely, your phone is auto-locking.

Even though the map is showing, it will still go into auto lock unless you unlock the phone again and open Maps.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
I have an issue from time to time where maps works, shows my route and my current location, however guidance and the information at the top (turn by turn directions) as well as voice, ceases. I have to end the route and start it again to get those features back.

It's happened a handful of times and is annoying.

Reactions: rtomyj

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
I have an issue from time to time where maps works, shows my route and my current location, however guidance and the information at the top (turn by turn directions) as well as voice, ceases. I have to end the route and start it again to get those features back.

Interesting. My arrow icon (indicating my position) doesn’t even update until I take the phone out. I can see the screen (or most of it) as the screen lights up on an update but then ceases to update after that. Glad I’m not the only one getting these. They can also be rather dangerous. Be careful, man.
[doublepost=1548812237][/doublepost]
More likely, your phone is auto-locking.

Even though the map is showing, it will still go into auto lock unless you unlock the phone again and open Maps.
Prior to iOS 12 I never had an issue with the phone locking though.

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Hard restart??

;)

I haven’t experienced any of these issues and I don’t think they have been reported as widespread. Hate when that happens lie that. So hard to figure out.

Reactions: rtomyj

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Hard restart??

;)

I haven’t experienced any of these issues and I don’t think they have been reported as widespread. Hate when that happens lie that. So hard to figure out.
I did that too unfortunately... I just reset all settings in hopes it fixes the issue. Really hoping I don’t have to start from a fresh install.

babens

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012

I've found that happens if I do the routing starting from a specific address rather than using "my current location" in the starting location field.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.