Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resseh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
I currently have iTunes Match. I much prefer my own music as I have a lot of obscure music that won't be available on streaming services.

Ive got a few Apple HomePods - the sound is great but the interface is awful. Quite often I will ask Siri to turn off my lights/play a song. And she will tell me for about 15 seconds that she is thinking about it and then give up. I don't want to hear her voice, I just want it to work. So I airplay songs to it instead. Or I control my lights with the phone. (I would have thought that the wifi signal of the HomePod would be stronger than a battery operated phone?)

So I wish to ditch my HomePods and replace it with something else. But I really like how iTunes stores my music with iTunes Match. Are there any other options that will allow me to access iTunes Match?

From what I gather, iTunes Music can do this - but I haven't had it confirmed if that will work over Android?

Otherwise, Im tempted to try and set my iTunes music up on a home server. It just feels like added complications when there is a cloud system.

thank you
[doublepost=1550316568][/doublepost]Damn, unless I'm being blind - I can't see an Apple Music App available for my Sony TV or Nvidia Shield. I just want to be able to easily create playlists and access them across all devices. This has always been my main reason for sticking with apple as usually 'it just works'

seems amazon had a decent option but its been closed for a year :(

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cu...dm_amp_storage_subs_lrn_more&nodeId=201379330

Last edited:

jbryant705

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2011
You could replace Homepods with Google Homes and use Google's free upload/match feature with Google Play. It does the same thing as iTunes Match but it's free.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

SinbadtheSailor

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
Buy a cheap Mac mini and use it to run iTunes as a server for movies and music. I use apple TVs and sonos. It works great. I’ve a 2014 mini running iTunes, plex and the sonos controller, it has no keyboard or monitor attached just two large hard drives attached. One for media and one for time machine backup I log in remotely from an iMac for oocssional maintenance.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
You could replace Homepods with Google Homes and use Google's free upload/match feature with Google Play. It does the same thing as iTunes Match but it's free.

that's what im doing (as we speak). slowly but surely downloading my music from iTunes Match and its automatically uploading to google. the main benefits are :

ill save the money from iTunes Match, not a lot mind you
ill save money from google music, I've got google home boxes and I like telling them to play music but I pay 7 euro a month
it'll stop google from playing crap if I set up my playlists better

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.