Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumoursmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2021
Hi all

There's been some postings deep inside some threads so I thought to start a dedicated thread about this.

As many of us know, Apple Music app on macOS does not support automatic sample rate switching, the way the app does on iOS.

You need to manually change sample rate with Audio MIDI to match the sample rate of Apple Music Lossless Hi-Res.

Does anybody know if this is planned to change with macOS Monterey coming soon?

Any clues seen in the beta versions?

Reactions: perspective7

rumoursmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2021
It’s not in any Beta 15 I have used, wish they would sort it out as it’s a bit of joke as it is.

Also hoping Airplay gets an upgrade to support Lossless Hi-Res

Whether that means Airplay3 and new hardware required I don't care

It's a joke that Airplay2 is lossy

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I have this, AppleTV, AirPlay ( as mentioned Above), a Windows app, and web support of hi res on my wish list.

For me, the main thing I would like to see resolved is AirPlay. It is the best way to use the iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad or HomePod as the controller. Their current remote app doesn’t incorporate all of their music service. I do think the easiest to fix is the Mac Music app, though. If third parties can do this, Apple’s engineers should have implemented it on day 1.

The best way to get this now is using an iPhone being controlled by an Apple Watch when you are across the room…. Unless you have the iPhone or an iPad docked with HDMI out to a display and control it with a Bluetooth keyboard. I have one for the iPad with a trackpad built in. Airplay support would be a lot better.

Reactions: rumoursmac

rumoursmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2021
For me, the main thing I would like to see resolved is AirPlay.
Agreed , Airplay protocol and hardware getting updated to support all sample rates that Apple Music Hi-Res Lossless supports (up to 24bit/192kHz) is ideal.

I don't care if it means I need to buy new hardware.

Reactions: Uofmtiger

foliovision

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bratislava
LosslessSwitcher will help. I'm on an M1 Max and Monterrey 12.6. LosslessSwitcher was failing a couple of months ago but works a treat now on my M1 Max.

I liked LosslessSwitcher enough to send $10 Vincent Neo's way. Surprised at how few people bothered to sponsor him though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.