Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonen560ti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
https://blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/

I just saw this blog post about a guy having 122GB collection of music, much of which he made himself, deleted locally from his hard drive because he signed up for Apple music. he did have the option to redownload them from the iCloud Music Library, but it would not only take 10s of hours to download, but they would be in a low quality compressed format. fortunately for him, he had backups to restore from.
anybody have any thoughts or experiences of this?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
anybody have any thoughts or experiences of this?
What is this, the now-lame Boy Genius Report, fishing for comments? Kidding...

This is all over the web, since last night. I don't buy it. I use iTM with my own music, never had an issue. Back up, back up, back up - really old advice, and I've never had an issue.

My 2¢ - back up, and never bother with clickbait. Cheers!

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
I don't think it does that though? I have a HDD that has my copies of .mp3's. When Apple Music was turned on all it did was find the files I had, if there was a match it matched them and then yes it would play the Apple matched copy or my uploaded copy from there on out.... However, my original .mp3's were left fine and intact on the HDD original. The iTunes program WILL NOT delete the files unless you tell it to. They are not overwritten either, as Apple Music's tracks that are cached are temporary and any stored for offline use are stored in the same big Apple Music directory not where all your original files are.

All in all, his claims seem to be BS and if I were to put some money on it would say that he was just in it to get a bunch of hits on his sub-par blog.

Reactions: MLVC and tonyr6

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
When I started my trial and then continued family subscription, I backed up my entire music library. Then I created a new library (named AM) and added all the tracks via AM. I added whatever tracks AM did not have to the my AM library and have had absolutely zero issues.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I don't think it does that though? I have a HDD that has my copies of .mp3's. When Apple Music was turned on all it did was find the files I had, if there was a match it matched them and then yes it would play the Apple matched copy or my uploaded copy from there on out.... However, my original .mp3's were left fine and intact on the HDD original. The iTunes program WILL NOT delete the files unless you tell it to. They are not overwritten either, as Apple Music's tracks that are cached are temporary and any stored for offline use are stored in the same big Apple Music directory not where all your original files are.

All in all, his claims seem to be BS and if I were to put some money on it would say that he was just in it to get a bunch of hits on his sub-par blog.
I am always amazed how so many people give the benefit of the doubt to anything posted by anybody that supports their negative views about Apple when it is posted anywhere on the web. It is like reading the comment section of a Yahoo article and quoting it as fact.

As for the OP's question. I am not at all concerned about it. I have backups of my files and I do that because I am more worried about a failing hard drive. I have zero concern that Apple Music will magically delete my music.

Reactions: MLVC

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I am always amazed how so many people give the benefit of the doubt to anything posted by anybody that supports their negative views about Apple when it is posted anywhere on the web. It is like reading the comment section of a Yahoo article and quoting it as fact.

As for the OP's question. I am not at all concerned about it. I have backups of my files and I do that because I am more worried about a failing hard drive. I have zero concern that Apple Music will magically delete my music.

No different than the divide of our politics today.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
just genuinely curious what other Mac users think of this. it could spark some interesting discussion about digital rights
No worries. Having read/skimmed through the few hundred comments and this post by Macworld - http://www.macworld.com/article/306...ple-music-doesnt-delete-your-music-files.html - there were two bits about the Pinkstone blog entry that bugged me. First, MW calls out and I read that "Amber" was incorrect, and most of the way down in the rant was this statement: "I recovered my original music files only by using a backup I made weeks earlier."

I don't like putting it this way - not to you - they're computers, and stuff happens. Backing up and restoring are two mundane, routine, essential tasks for each of us and it's not fun. Pinkstone backed up, and restored, then ranted - he didn't lose anything, but for the time taken that would have just been a simple drag-and-drop restore and reindexing by iTunes - he then doubled that amount of time by posting the rant and addressing a few dozen points in the comments section.

I'm not at all disputing what happened, nor that Apple's SW borked something. Being me, I would have reached for a couple of fingers of Bushmills 16-year and gotten to it - and I would have felt a lot better than he did when the restore was done. :p IMHO, Pinkstone's post was a waste of time, only offering that stuff happens and backups are pretty nice to have. Time for me to find a clean lowball glass now! Cheers!

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
No worries. Having read/skimmed through the few hundred comments and this post by Macworld - http://www.macworld.com/article/306...ple-music-doesnt-delete-your-music-files.html - there were two bits about the Pinkstone blog entry that bugged me. First, MW calls out and I read that "Amber" was incorrect, and most of the way down in the rant was this statement: "I recovered my original music files only by using a backup I made weeks earlier."

I don't like putting it this way - not to you - they're computers, and stuff happens. Backing up and restoring are two mundane, routine, essential tasks for each of us and it's not fun. Pinkstone backed up, and restored, then ranted - he didn't lose anything, but for the time taken that would have just been a simple drag-and-drop restore and reindexing by iTunes - he then doubled that amount of time by posting the rant and addressing a few dozen points in the comments section.

I'm not at all disputing what happened, nor that Apple's SW borked something. Being me, I would have reached for a couple of fingers of Bushmills 16-year and gotten to it - and I would have felt a lot better than he did when the restore was done. :p IMHO, Pinkstone's post was a waste of time, only offering that stuff happens and backups are pretty nice to have. Time for me to find a clean lowball glass now! Cheers!
It does seem that he was overly upset for someone with a backup. However, it sure has gotten him a lot of notoriety in short order. It didn't hurt Dalrymple's exposure, either.

I think I will wait a month or so and merge the Dalrymple rant with the Pinkstone rant and use them as my basis for a similar rant on my blog...then try to get it covered on the main Macrumors page. You guys will be arguing over poor me and all that time I will be getting great exposure for my site. Heck, maybe I will even get a few appearances on MBW as the new expert on the Apple Music service. I am working on growing a beard now.

Last edited:
Reactions: jgelin and campyguy

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I posted this on a similar thread. BTW, I also had a back up of my iTunes from Time Machine, which ended up not working to restore the music due to the files not being uploaded. I ended up using a back up of songs, which restored most of my music, but all data related to playlists, play count, skip out, etc was gone forever.

I will briefly explain my experience losing all my music in iTunes. Back in November, my iTunes Match sub was renewed. On the day it was renewed. All my music, playlists, and music data, about 3000 songs, was automatically deleted on all my devices.

I called Apple Support, which they looked into it with a few different levels of techs all the way to the software engineer.

They first thought it was a payment issue, since it happened on my renew date.

After seeing that the payment charge went though okay, then they blamed it on Apple Music. I had never set up an Apple Music account, but that was their best guess because they had so many similar issues at the time about Apple Music deleting libraries.

After a week going by and many phone calls some over 2 hours long, their final determination of my iTunes Match issues was that I never had any music uploaded to iTunes Match. According to everything they looked at, I never used iTunes Match, even though I know I did.

Basically, some glitch of their, maybe Apple Music related, deleted my Library, and they did not have anything more to say about it than I never uploaded anything to iTunes Match.

Luckily I had a backup with almost all my music, maybe 90%, but all the playlists, and music data was gone forever.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I agree back up. I have all my music backed up and it is even on Google Drive and One Drive.

ok,, but a cloud service is NOT really a backup .... What if a cloud service goes down ? what do u do if backup services designed for such can't be accessed?..... probably very rarely at the same time, or can't access, but i'd feel safer with local backups instead of relying on the cloud at all. Even your own NAS would be safer.

jonen560ti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
ok,, but a cloud service is NOT really a backup .... What if a cloud service goes down ? what do u do if backup services designed for such can't be accessed?..... probably very rarely at the same time, or can't access, but i'd feel safer with local backups instead of relying on the cloud at all. Even your own NAS would be safer.

I agree. I use a Home server running open source cloud software for backup. 3rd party cloud services can be useful to give you Even more redundancy, buy they shouldnt be your primary method of backup

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

I am always amazed at those who think anyone who had an experience different to theirs must be making it up.

Reactions: Juicy Box

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
just genuinely curious what other Mac users think of this. it could spark some interesting discussion about digital rights

I think that you should have backups in case of disaster, be it theft, software bug or user error.

Did iTunes delete his stuff? Maybe. If you've got a backup it is a minor inconvenience.

If you don't have a backup you've got a lot more serious things to worry about.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I am always amazed at those who think anyone who had an experience different to theirs must be making it up.
If you believe everything you read on the web, send me your email address, I have a letter from a lawyer in Nigeria for you.

Macworld contacted him to get idea of what happened:

"I don’t know exactly what happened to this user. I contacted him by email trying to get more information, and he told me that he no longer uses Apple Music, so he really can’t help elucidate the issue"

Too bad he was more interested in a rant than helping other users avoid this (supposed) problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: jgelin and whsbuss

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I agree. I notice this is happening a lot on these forums lately.

When I was having issues with my ATV4 last fall, people on this forum and others would assume it was an user related problem("you're using it wrong") and just dismiss it. If they did not have the issue, then they assume it is not real.

But, looking at the Apple Support Forums, lots of other people were having the same exact issue.

It takes an article being posted on the front page of the MR site for people on here to recognize that the issue might be true, and even then, people still have the attitude that if the problem did not happen to them, than the problem is probably made up.

If you believe everything you read on the web, send me your email address, I have a letter from a lawyer in Nigeria for you.
Just because it is posted on the web, doesn't make it not true either.

Moi Ici

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
What is this, the now-lame Boy Genius Report, fishing for comments? Kidding...

This is all over the web, since last night. I don't buy it. I use iTM with my own music, never had an issue. Back up, back up, back up - really old advice, and I've never had an issue.

My 2¢ - back up, and never bother with clickbait. Cheers!

It did it to my music when I signed up for match. It ruined my albums, the quality of albums and screwed up art work. I am a massive apple fan, but years of ripping music to very high quality & some rare stuff gone, also lost some music, so please -other responders and imore- don't say it doesn't happen. It has happened to me. This was from a few years ago and I'm still pissed.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
It did it to my music when I signed up for match. It ruined my albums, the quality of albums and screwed up art work. I am a massive apple fan, but years of ripping music to very high quality & some rare stuff gone, also lost some music, so please -other responders and imore- don't say it doesn't happen. It has happened to me. This was from a few years ago and I'm still pissed.
You've got me empathy, believe me. FWIW, I did offer this in my second post: "I'm not at all disputing what happened, nor that Apple's SW borked something."

As for being pissed, I'm too old now to get pissed off about stuff like this now. I had a PowerMac 8500 drive crash on me back in the early '90s, on an eve of a presentation for a new clients after spending dozens of hours in ProE. I was up until 4:30 am recovering data - disks were soooooooooooo sloooooooowwww back then, but it was that experience that led me to make sure I have backups, and I still burn a bit from time to time. Then, I get a couple of fingers of Bushmills and all is good with my world again...

Moi Ici

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
You've got me empathy, believe me. FWIW, I did offer this in my second post: "I'm not at all disputing what happened, nor that Apple's SW borked something."

As for being pissed, I'm too old now to get pissed off about stuff like this now. I had a PowerMac 8500 drive crash on me back in the early '90s, on an eve of a presentation for a new clients after spending dozens of hours in ProE. I was up until 4:30 am recovering data - disks were soooooooooooo sloooooooowwww back then, but it was that experience that led me to make sure I have backups, and I still burn a bit from time to time. Then, I get a couple of fingers of Bushmills and all is good with my world again...

When I realized the extent of the mess and then went to use my time machine back up, it didn't work. The thing that annoys me the most and "iphoto" goes into this equation also, was the lack of explanation given. I still have a lot of apple gear but do not trust their services at all. Far too complicated and far too easy to screw up.

Reactions: campyguy

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
What I did was I made a playlist with all my offline music, downloaded all my offline music, then backed up my entire iTunes Library on an external hard drive. Then I deleted the songs locally in the offline playlist.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
When I realized the extent of the mess and then went to use my time machine back up, it didn't work. The thing that annoys me the most and "iphoto" goes into this equation also, was the lack of explanation given. I still have a lot of apple gear but do not trust their services at all. Far too complicated and far too easy to screw up.
FWIW, I resemble those remarks... TM's a PITA for me and it failed the two times I attempted to migrate from an old to a new Mac. I have had no issues with iTunes except for artwork issues (which I've solved with no help from Apple), matching (several dozen songs still can't get matched so I also tote around my 80GB iPod Classic to get some of my obscure music fix on the road), then there's my old email address that's my Apple ID that's getting spammed silly (but I can't change it...), et cetera, so on and so forth, ad nauseam...

It's a good thing iTunes is free software, IMHO there could be millions made by therapists keeping iTunes users from going bats*** crazy... :confused:

Reactions: Moi Ici
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.