Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
I am astounded at just how much worse Apple made its Apple Music app in iOS 10 versus iOS 9. Let me count the ways:

1. Radio: Click "play less like this," and nothing happens. You have to advance past the undesired song manually. Bug!

2. Radio: Start a station based upon a currently playing song, and the song starts over! Bug. Previous version in iOS 9 did it right. Just keep playing the song, idiots. Don't ruin the mood. Programmers responsible for this: come into my room. You're all fired. Go apply for a job at Quicken, where crappy software rules the day.

3. Color: Yuck! The all-white interface sucks. You lose the color ambience previously created in the iOS 9 Apple Music by the album art.

4. For You: Sometimes you scroll right, sometimes down. WTF??!? Apple, you think this nonsense is cute, right? Dumb!

5. Fonts: I'm all for bigger, readable fonts, but aren't these a bit excessive?

6. Radio: Why not let us store a long list of our favorite user-created radio stations rather than give us a piddly list of "recently played" stations? You won't supplant Pandora this way, not by a long shot.

7. Browse: There's the dumb right-left/up-down confusion of an interface again, along with not much to browse, actually. Totally worse than Apple Music in iOS 9.

8. Song selection in Radio: You really need to buy Pandora while it's for sale. Your song selection algorithm sucks. Sometimes my mouth hangs open when stuff like this happens: You're listening to a quiet, peaceful, cello-infused "David Darling" radio station, and a Kenny Loggins hard-rock song punches you upside the head next, with bass drum pounding and fuzz guitars turned up to 11. Huh?!? Add to this the bugginess with "play less" mentioned previously, and you've got a Radio component that qualifies for the bottom-of-the-barrel award.
Who are these fools at Apple who are effing up the apps? I guess the ghost of Jobs has long since left the building.

Additional note to Apple: STOP automatically downloading iOS 10 to my iPhone 6 Plus. I don't want that POS software. It's my phone, and you have no right to force me to upgrade. STOP IT NOW.

Last edited:

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Wow!

I thought it was so much easier to use than the previous version.

Far easier to find things and no more annoying propmpts to buy the streaming service.

Oh well can't design for everyone.

You do know their's a selection for auto downloading?

Reactions: hojx

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
I am astounded at just how much worse Apple made its Apple Music app in iOS 10 versus iOS 9. Let me count the ways:

1. Radio: Click "play less like this," and nothing happens. You have to advance past the undesired song manually. Bug!

2. Radio: Start a station based upon a currently playing song, and the song starts over! Bug. Previous version in iOS 9 did it right. Just keep playing the song, idiots. Don't ruin the mood. Programmers responsible for this: come into my room. You're all fired. Go apply for a job at Quicken, where crappy software rules the day.

3. Color: Yuck! The all-white interface sucks. You lose the color ambience previously created in the iOS 9 Apple Music by the album art.

4. For You: Sometimes you scroll right, sometimes down. WTF??!? Apple, you think this nonsense is cute, right? Dumb!

6. Radio: Why not let us store a long list of our favorite user-created radio stations rather than give us a piddly list of "recently played" stations? You won't supplant Pandora this way, not by a long shot.

7. Browse: There's the dumb right-left/up-down confusion of an interface again, along with not much to browse, actually. Totally worse than Apple Music in iOS 9.

8. Song selection in Radio: You really need to buy Pandora while it's for sale. Your song selection algorithm sucks. Sometimes my mouth hangs open when stuff like this happens: You're listening to a quiet, peaceful, cello-infused "David Darling" radio station, and a Kenny Loggins hard-rock song punches you upside the head next, with bass drum pounding and fuzz guitars turned up to 11. Huh?!? Add to this the bugginess with "play less" mentioned previously, and you've got a Radio component that qualifies for the bottom-of-the-barrel award.
Who are these fools at Apple who are effing up the apps? I guess the ghost of Jobs has long since left the building.

Additional note to Apple: STOP automatically downloading iOS 10 to my iPhone 6 Plus. I don't want that POS software. It's my phone, and you have no right to force me to upgrade. STOP IT NOW.
You care

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Try Spotify. Much better music suggestions IMO and the interface is classy and simple. I also like some of the little touches, like keeping your finger on a playlist or an album to get a quick preview of some of the songs.

Reactions: janeauburn

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
I see I'm not the only one who thinks this version of Apple Music stinks. The folks in the comments section here are brutal:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/52wcpo/how_do_you_like_ios_10_music_app/#bottom-comments

You don't think there are people who comments that don't have AM and just want to whine?
Of course there will be people that dont like everything with AM,same with Spotify.

If this is a big deal for you sign up for open beta testing and submit your complaints.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
Apple music is a fail.
You have the right to you're opinions. There are plenty of music services out there. Find the one that works for you. However, actually hard numbers show that Apple Music is not a "fail". Sucks that you've had a bad experience. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
To each their own. I personally love the redesign, think it's fun and easy to use and has a nice whimsical quality. Personally dislike Spotify's interface, find it bland, uninspiring, and not consistent with the aesthetic of iOS. I also had a significant iTunes library of 20k songs and have now nearly converted fully to streaming, so only Apple Music can blend my iTunes library and new streaming stuff seamlessly. Any bugs I had before don't happen anymore.

Reactions: hojx

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
You have the right to you're opinions. There are plenty of music services out there. Find the one that works for you. However, actually hard numbers show that Apple Music is not a "fail". Sucks that you've had a bad experience. Hope you find what you are looking for.

I think it's important to remember that it wasn't this bad and they've gone from better to worse. It's not as if this is the first version and they're finding things out

I know it's a workaround but I find it pretty disappointing to have to use non native apps when apple customers pay premiums for the software

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
I see I'm not the only one who thinks this version of Apple Music stinks. The folks in the comments section here are brutal:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/52wcpo/how_do_you_like_ios_10_music_app/#bottom-comments
You are certainly not. Apple Music as an app is an abortion of an app on iOS 10, and the service in general is embarrassing compared to the competition. The UI is trash, the radio algorithms are horrid, the stability is laughable, and the audio streaming performance is a ****ing giggle next to Spotify's.

The single and only reason I use it is because Apple won't allow third party apps to have out-of-app scrubbers.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Pretty much all has been covered quite well some months ago: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-new-music-app.1982085/

Also as I recall there have been numerous replies about how to keep iOS 10 away from your device if you don't want it in various other threads were you have also brought it up, why is it something that you are still struggling with?

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
Im not sure if apple realise this (I'm going off their software releases) but it's a major turn off when the native apps are junk. The benefits of iOS breakdown pretty badly

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Another solution is to buy a Samsung and enjoy your life without Apple completely.

You defeat yourself by keeping the iPhone and then complaining about its eco system. The Samsung is a great product and well tested OS so why are you bothering with the iPhone?

But of course in social circles the iPhone has a higher status.

Last edited by a moderator:

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Another solution is to buy a Samsung and enjoy your life without Apple completely.

You defeat yourself by keeping the iPhone and then complaining about its eco system. The Samsung is a great product and well tested OS so why are you bothering with the iPhone?

But of course in social circles the iPhone has a higher status.

Good point.

Social circles? Ha. I'm like Charles Bukowski.

“Do you hate people?”

“I don't hate them...I just feel better when they're not around.”

Reactions: Babu Life

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Yes, but while we can't live with them we certainly can't live without them.

Just think, no people, no music to stream and no one to complain about the service to.

:mad:

Thanks!

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
It sounds like you only wanna bash Apple, not look for any solutions. Just move to android. Then use a 3rd party app to meet your high maintenance needs. Apple isn't for you. Good that there are other options out there for you.

Reactions: Lappen71

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
It sounds like you only wanna bash Apple, not look for any solutions. Just move to android. Then use a 3rd party app to meet your high maintenance needs. Apple isn't for you. Good that there are other options out there for you.

I can understand it. It's frustrating being cornered by apples profit making strategies. Sure nobody forces us to buy apple again, but the bigger picture is that a long term relationship (which I don't think Tim Cook sees it that way) is going sour.

It's yet another workaround for yet another aspect of iOS, and they rarely satisfy when a logical solution could often be so easily implemented in the software.

Move to android? Yes that's an option but it isn't a great one. There was a time when phones weren't about settling for the least bad option.

Sorry for the sentimentality

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
No need to move to Android, if you don't like the music app use a third party one. (Cesium for example).

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Try Spotify. Much better music suggestions IMO and the interface is classy and simple. I also like some of the little touches, like keeping your finger on a playlist or an album to get a quick preview of some of the songs.

Best comment so far. It's very old Apple Music app. Logical and nice cool touches

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.