Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tekzilla

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Shoreham, NY
So I've had Apple Music for a while now and I download it directly to my phone due to terrible service during my commute. It looks like everything in my Music app has a Cloud download icon on it, does that mean I have to manually download every single item again?

I figured it would come back with the backup when I restored.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

justme1

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Same question for me, except my stuff is a mixture of my own ripped tracks and some recent Apple Music material. Just updated to a Xs using an iTunes backup, but none of my songs came over. They are all sitting on my iMac drive. I REALLY don't want to have to manually download all 9,000 tracks to my new iPhone. I must be missing something easy, and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tekzilla

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Shoreham, NY
Same question for me, except my stuff is a mixture of my own ripped tracks and some recent Apple Music material. Just updated to a Xs using an iTunes backup, but none of my songs came over. They are all sitting on my iMac drive. I REALLY don't want to have to manually download all 9,000 tracks to my new iPhone. I must be missing something easy, and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I asked in several forums and never got an answer so I spent 2 hours last night manually downloading a lot of music form Apple Music. Highly annoying that the backup doesn't cover that. Also weird that no one else besides us is asking this. Ah well...

DHA

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2014
Same for me. I use it in my car mainly, don't always have signal to stream so perfer it on my phone. No idea why it has happened. Doing the manually add each track now, it seems items that are on my iTunes library that I imported add immediately but apple music tracks sit and think about it before adding.

Annoying. And as Tekzilla says strange its not mentioned elsewhere

justme1

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Finally figured it out. I discovered that you have to turn off iCloud Music Library in settings on the phone, then when I attached the phone to iTunes it transferred all my purchased and ripped from CD tracks, except for the one I had added from my Apple Music subscription. Then I turned iCloud Music Library back on, and manually downloaded the stuff I added from that service, which for me was just a few albums.

abriolitto50

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
Transfer your iCloud backup to your new device
Turn on your new device. FetLife
Follow the steps until you see the Wi-Fi screen.
Tap a Wi-Fi network to join. IMVU
Sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID and password.
When asked, choose a backup. Canva

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.