Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriscl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
I have just subscribed to Apple Music (coming from Spotify) and I took the opportunity to create my Playlists again, and I found what I think is a weird bug in Apple Music on iOS.

I like making compilation Playlists of an Artists' albums, in order. Reasonable enough?

Open Apple Music, search for an Artist - scroll down a bit to Albums, then go "Show All" and you get them in date order, newest first. Cool.

Go to the first album (the oldest) press it and choose "Add to Playlist.." and create a new Playlist for that Artist.

Go and look at the Playlist, there is the Album, all tracks, in order. Now go back to the Library view, find the second-oldest Album, press it and choose "Add to Playlist..." and add it to the same Playlist you just made. What that should do, is add the tracks to the new Playlist in order, after the First Album you just added.

Now go and look at the Playlist - the tracks for the second Album will be there, but the track order is completely random... and this happens for subsequent Albums you add, too - the first Album is always OK, but other Albums, once added, the track order gets mixed up.

I can replicate this on an iPhone and iPad, both running 15.3 - unfortunately for me, I didn't spot this until I had created about 20 Playlists. Even deleting the whole Playlist and recreating it doesn't work, the same behaviour happens.

On a couple of occasions, the second Album I added was in the correct track order, but anything else added just messes up the Track order (which is a pain, especially for "Live" Albums). I cannot recreate this on my MacBook because (at the moment) my MacBook refuse to sync Anything from Apple Music (that is a whole different issue...)

Can anyone else replicate this, just to make sure I am not going mad?

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Perhaps I misunderstood what you were trying to do (as I generally makeup Playlists on my Mac not my iPhone) but I started with The Beatles on Apple Music (not in my library), went to the album view, selected the first album shown (Get Back) and created a new playlist (I called it Beatles Albums). I then added the second album shown "Let it Be Naked" and added it to the existing playlist (songs were added in the order they are in the album itself to the end of the existing playlist), then continued with the next few albums and they were all added to the end in the correct song order when I did it on my iMac as I Usually do it. But when I tried on my iPhone you are right - it added the albums in the correct order at the end of the existing playlist but the order of the songs within the albums were incorrect. Strange.

Reactions: chriscl

chriscl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
Perhaps I misunderstood what you were trying to do (as I generally makeup Playlists on my Mac not my iPhone) but I started with The Beatles on Apple Music (not in my library), went to the album view, selected the first album shown (Get Back) and created a new playlist (I called it Beatles Albums). I then added the second album shown "Let it Be Naked" and added it to the existing playlist (songs were added in the order they are in the album itself to the end of the existing playlist), then continued with the next few albums and they were all added to the end in the correct song order when I did it on my iMac as I Usually do it. But when I tried on my iPhone you are right - it added the albums in the correct order at the end of the existing playlist but the order of the songs within the albums were incorrect. Strange.

Exactly! If I create a playlist on my MacBook, it creates the tracks in the correct order, and syncs - in the correct order - to my iOS devices.

It’s just if you create a playlist on iOS 15.3 - the second (and third, and fourth…) albums, it messes the track order up.

I reported it to Apple anyway, maybe they’ll do something about it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.