Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stephencovar

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2015
Pasadena, California
Hey everyone, I am hoping that someone would be able to give so pointers on what to do. My Apple Music is uploading certain songs that I know are in the iTunes library rather than matching them. An couple of examples are: AC/DC Back in Black and Aerosmith Nine Lives. I've already removed the albums from my iCloud library and my local library and added it back from my backup. Does anyone have any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is to make a copy of the music and try to upload that rather than my backup copy...

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I did edit the metadata. Everything was accurate as far as I could tell.

It's probably not important whether it's accurate, but whether the algorithm sees it as a different album or version.

Remember, Apple was pummeled mercilessly online for its initial matching algorithms simply "matching" many live, deluxe, remix albums to the standard offering in their catalog.

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
It's probably not important whether it's accurate, but whether the algorithm sees it as a different album or version.

Remember, Apple was pummeled mercilessly online for its initial matching algorithms simply "matching" many live, deluxe, remix albums to the standard offering in their catalog.

I understand that, but now it's literally matching nothing. Out of curiosity, I deleted an album it once matched, and re-loaded it from the same CD. It did not match. It uploaded.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Apple Music doesn't perform as expected in this regard.

Additionally, I had albums that were "matched" but when I play them from an iPhone the wrong tracks (different versions from different albums) would sometimes play. If I play Apple Music's version of the album this doesn't happen.

I'm in the process of wiping my music library of anything that is duplicated at Apple Music.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I understand that, but now it's literally matching nothing. Out of curiosity, I deleted an album it once matched, and re-loaded it from the same CD. It did not match. It uploaded.

That may be true in your limited testing, but I've positively had many tracks "matched" recently, not uploaded.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
The first question i would have asked is "Why are you matching it when its already on Apple music"

I've had the same problems.... so if i already have it i my collection and its also on Apple music, i delete my copy and just add it from Apple music. as its quicker then stuffing rund as to why something won't 'match' due to 'certain criteria'

It's probably 'on' and 'off' affair, but i won't take any chances.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I've had the same problems.... so if i already have it i my collection and its also on Apple music, i delete my copy and just add it from Apple music. as its quicker then stuffing rund as to why something won't 'match' due to 'certain criteria'

That's exactly what I've ended up doing. It's working well except that in iTunes AM thinks a lot of the albums I'm trying to add are already in my catalog...so it won't let me add. In every case I can add via the iPhone.

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
The first question i would have asked is "Why are you matching it when its already on Apple music"

I'm not entirely sure I will keep the service forever. I mean, if I get iTunes gift cards as gifts routinely enough to cover the cost, then it's a no-brainer. However, I like the security of knowing that if I ever cancel the service, I won't lose the songs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.