Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
New York
Ok, I'm sure this has been probably been answered before, but can you create custom playlists on Apple Music without downloading the song to your phone? I currently use spotify but have been considering switching. Anyone else made the switch? Did you make the right choice?

bigmikeyp

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2006
Manchester, UK
Ok, I'm sure this has been probably been answered before, but can you create custom playlists on Apple Music without downloading the song to your phone?

Yup.

I currently use spotify but have been considering switching. Anyone else made the switch? Did you make the right choice?

Generally yes. I was considering switching back to Spotify for Discover Weekly and Release Radar, but now that AM has added it's equivalents, I'm much happier to continue and see how good/bad the music recommendations in those playlists are. So far, they've been very good and have uncovered some good new music for my tastes, and actually bought back a couple of songs that I'd forgotten about too.

Reactions: tonyr6

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I switched to Apple music from Google and love it up until iOS10. I am still paying for both because I value Youtube Red and i am paying student pricing on Apple music so all in all I am paying $7.99 for Google and $4.99 for Apple music which isn't bad...

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You can have a custom playlist in Spotify without downloading the songs...you just can't include songs that reside on your "computer only" without them being downloaded to you iOS device. This is because Spotify doesn't have anything like the "iCloud Music Library".

It seems that if you include a "computer only" song in a Spotify playlist you have to download the entire playlist...but that's only true if the "computer only" song(s) aren't already downloaded in another playlist.

My workaround is to create a Spotify playlist of "computer only" songs and to set that playlist to Download. Once it's in there, you don't have to download any other full playlists that it's on.

I'm currently switching from Apple Music to Spotify because AM is haphazardly dropping songs from my playlists. Researching the issue I found that others have had that problem since months ago. If they're not going to fix it I'm switching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.