Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idrewuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
...let us re-organise our Playlists in whichever order we want? It's such a simple feature yet it's stuck being alphabetical order. I've requested it numerous times in the support form but they don't seem to wanna play. Similarly, it'd be good to pull down and be able to search Playlists to quickly find one, instead of having to scroll forever. Apple, I'm getting into Apple Music, but help me out here!!

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Playlists on iOS are 'stuck' in the order the tracks were added (not alphabetical). The only (convoluted though) workaround is to create a new Playlist in iTunes and add the tracks in the order you want them. Then this new Playlist will show up on your iOS device in the order you want.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Playlists on iOS are 'stuck' in the order the tracks were added (not alphabetical). The only (convoluted though) workaround is to create a new Playlist in iTunes and add the tracks in the order you want them. Then this new Playlist will show up on your iOS device in the order you want.

I think OP is referring to the fact that the list of playlists itself can't be reordered in iOS. I agree it's a strange omission.

Songs within a user-created playlist can be reordered by tapping Edit, then sliding the songs up or down.

And you can search your playlists on the "Search" tab, but it's a bit inconvenient to have to jump tabs to do it.

3pp

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
I can confirm you can now sort playlists by playlist type, (Apple Music editor curated Playlist, Smart Playlist, Playlist), by Playlist Title, or by Date Added.

Not so fussed about this. More concerned at the height of each row for every playlist entry. I have 40+ playlists and scrolling through is a nightmare. Why can't the rows be the same height as songs? So ugly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.