Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Threejw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
for ios 9
I dont live in the US, so I changed the region hoping it would show on my home screen but it didn't, did apple disable this or the app is not available on my 12.9 ipad pro?

And on ios 10
Are there still regional restrictions on the app?

Thanks !

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yes. In certain countries, Apple News are permanently unavailable due to local regulation restrictions. You may need VPN to use this app.

Reactions: Threejw

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
US, UK, and Australia only.
For those countries, users living in those countries can use news app without problem.

For users living outside them, they can switch their iPhone region setting to US, or UK, or Australia to let news app showing on home screen. (Hope this trick still works)

However in certain regions in the world, even changing region would not bring news app at all.

Threejw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
I used to live in australia last year and now i'v moved back to saudi arabia and my phone's music, app stories went to the dark ages along with its news app and a few other Siri features...

I now pay alot of money to get a US itunes card just to change my region.. Apple needs to deal with this

Last edited:
Reactions: Iceage

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I am in Mexico and the Top Picks does not work and stories are not showing the most recents. Shame.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I used to live in australia last year and now i'v moved back to saudi arabia and my phone's music, app stories went to the dark ages along with its news app and a few other Siri features...

I now pay alot of money to get a US itunes card just to change my region.. Apple needs to deal with this
I used to buy gift card to change my account region, but after struggling over half a year, I give up and use separate account to use different stores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.