Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Does anyone know when (or if!) Apple Pay Cash is coming to the UK?

Thanks

It’s been on the cards for a couple of years seemingly. However I think we won’t see it till Brexit is completed...and probably then some. God knows why we haven’t had it for ages...there is no practical reason.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Since it launched in the US Apple have not really mentioned it ever again, I don't think any further rollout is imminent. Perhaps it was not that successful.

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
It's all down to the Banks, just like the initial Apple Pay rollout (some still don't support this in the UK!).
[doublepost=1561805684][/doublepost]
It’s been on the cards for a couple of years seemingly. However I think we won’t see it till Brexit is completed...and probably then some. God knows why we haven’t had it for ages...there is no practical reason.

Nowt to do with Brexit.

Reactions: cableguy84

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
It's all down to the Banks, just like the initial Apple Pay rollout (some still don't support this in the UK!).

Nowt to do with Brexit.

I hope you’re right. I’m only going by rumours I heard last year.

lartola

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2017
There is indeed a practical reason for the delay: Apple needs to find a bank to partner with in each country to offer the financial services related to Apple Cash, such as Green Dot bank in the US. I suppose they are having a hard time finding one in the UK.
[doublepost=1564199968][/doublepost]

Nowt to do with Brexit.
With the additional matter that for apple cash to roll out, Apple also needs to find a specific bank in each country to partner with to offer the financial services related to apple cash like they did with Green Dot in the US.

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
This is showing up for me in Dev Beta 5, but doesn't actually show anything to enable it in settings. Either it's accidental, or maybe the UK will be getting it when iOS 13 gets released to the public! Will see.

IMG_3088.jpg

Shiverme

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
This is showing up for me in Dev Beta 5, but doesn't actually show anything to enable it in settings. Either it's accidental, or maybe the UK will be getting it when iOS 13 gets released to the public! Will see.

View attachment 850693
And if you change your region to United States in Settings, the option appears in settings for Apple Wallet

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany

View attachment 850693
Means nothing. I had the APC option in Messages for a whole year without basic AP even being announced for my country back then. Don‘t get your hopes up high.

Does it actually enable it and work though?
You need a valid US SSN to activate it, so you wont get far.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
Means nothing. I had the APC option in Messages for a whole year without basic AP even being announced for my country back then. Don‘t get your hopes up high.

You need a valid US SSN to activate it, so you wont get far.

It popped up in a beta last year for the UK and never came to anything, so thought maybe this time it was a possibility. Usually is, Canada & Australia tend to get these things in the second wave. Will see.

lartola

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2017
As in you actually used it? With a uk bank account?
I have used Apple Cash while physically located outside the US, but I did set it up with a US bank account and debit card. Being physically outside the US does not prevent the use of Apple Pay or Apple Cash, but not having a US card, US bank account or US Social Security number might indeed still prevent the use of such features. In other words, changing the region does completely enable the Apple Cash feature, but only US based iPhone owners can actually use it for now.

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
I have used Apple Cash while physically located outside the US, but I did set it up with a US bank account and debit card. Being physically outside the US does not prevent the use of Apple Pay or Apple Cash, but not having a US card, US bank account or US Social Security number might indeed still prevent the use of such features. In other words, changing the region does completely enable the Apple Cash feature, but only US based iPhone owners can actually use it for now.

Oh, so in the context of this thread, and my question, that’s actually a no then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.