Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polyphenol

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Since the round of updates (Sequoia, IOS 18, etc.) Apple Pay has changed. I'm in the UK and have a bank debit card and a bank credit card known to Apple Pay.

Using Apple Pay on my phone - no obvious changes.

Using Apple Pay on my mini, the cards have been wiped from Wallet on that machine. I can set them up as Safari Autofill Credit cards. And, if I use them, they seem to work OK - and, as always, contact my phone to authorise (double-click on side after face ID).

Using Apple Pay on my MBP, the cards still exist in Wallet. But, whilst I used to be able to use touch ID, transactions now go to my phone. Seemingly no touch ID option.

Other than perplexity as to why the cards disappeared from the wallet on my mini, it isn't making much difference in practice. But probably means that I cannot pay using Apple Pay if my phone isn't to hand. Quite often it is elsewhere in the house, or left at home if I pop round to someone nearby - often done unintentionally!

(I've never used my watch for this and have no idea if that can authorise.)

Does this mean, no cards in wallet on machines without biometric? And no card use without phone even if they have touch ID? Is this different in different countries?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.