Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I was in Sydney in early December and I used Apple Pay everywhere. In fact, it was accepted nearly everywhere there--much more than anywhere I've been in the USA.

Last edited:

tonyduffe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2018
Australia
[doublepost=1547776968][/doublepost]
I was in Sydney about four weeks ago and I used Apple Pay everywhere. In fact, it was more accepted there than anywhere I've been in the USA.

We have the highest acceptance rate of contactless payments anywhere in the world.

Last edited:

tonyduffe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2018
Australia
The Commonwealth Bank and Bankwest support for Apple Pay that was teased late last year as coming in January. Launch today at midnight, Official launch press will probably be pushed at midday.

I'll be tracking features implemented and they will be reflected on my spreadsheet based on reports over the next couple of days.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I thought it's time I start a dedicated Apple Pay in Australia thread on here.

My sister used Apple pay as grocery store.. Belmont Forum, Perth, WA. Spreadsheet looks like it only covers banks though. Any plans to improve on this or not ?

tonyduffe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2018
Australia
Spreadsheet looks like it only covers banks though. Any plans to improve on this or not ?

That's correct it shows the banks that support Apple Pay and what features they have chosen to implement. Improve on it in what way? By adding retailers/merchants? That would be unnecessary in Australia.

tonyduffe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2018
Australia
Whirlpool members have noticed that Citibank in Australia has finally added support for debit cards they have supported credit cards in Australia for quite awhile.

I have now updated my spreadsheet to reflect this.

tonyduffe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2018
Australia
Suncorp added eftpos Support for Apple Pay on Tuesday, 7 May 2019 Notably for dual-network cards joining ANZ to be the second bank offering this functionality.

apple-pay-iphonex-cardadded-281x558.png

Like with ANZ you manually have to re-add your card once you do so you'll be presented with a menu that allows you to choose which payments network the card will use. Can read more about the process here in Apple's Support Documentation.

This will now allow for Suncorp Visa debit customers to get cash out at point of sale at select merchants in Australia and avoid credit/debit surcharges on contactless payments that normally are incurred when you use the Visa payment network at merchant that choose to surcharge.

Press Releases: eftpos and Suncorp

Last edited:

tonyduffe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2018
Australia
NAB (National Australia Bank) Australia’s fourth largest bank announced Apple Pay finally today alongside there subsidiary UBank. This now only leaves one of the major banks in Australia holding out which is now Westpac.

The breakdown of the bank's implementations of Apple Pay how complete they are will be posted probably later today on the spreadsheets.

Last edited:

tonyduffe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2018
Australia
Some recent updates... Woolworths Credit Cards now have Apple Pay Support.

credit-cards-apple-pay-iphone_446x778.jpg

Woolworths and the following institutions have been added to the Apple Pay bank support list here however, the following institutions haven't made it to the support article yet.
  • Coles Financial Services
  • Paywith
  • Vault Payment
  • Wildcard
Apple Pay doesn't appear to be switched on as of yet at Coles or Wildcard.

Wildcard's implementation is going through various stages at the moment as has been reported in our chat room here. they appear to be working on the final stages of their implementation which is card verification.

Status of the last two, Paywith and Vault Payment is unknown.

Thanks to members of our UserNext: Digital Banking discord community Kyle-K, TonyDuffe and BeauGiles.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
Bank of Queensland have been talking about Apple Pay since it was first announced. At this rate they'll be the last to actually roll it out.

tonyduffe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2018
Australia
Wildcard's implementation is going through various stages at the moment as has been reported in our chat room here. they appear to be working on the final stages of their implementation which is card verification.

They have now reverted back. So you cannot add your card to Apple Pay terms and conditions will continue to pop up but you'll be unsuccessful in adding your card.

This is most likely been done to stop people adding their card and trying to verify the card which is physically impossible at the moment.
[doublepost=1561795968][/doublepost]
Bank of Queensland have been talking about Apple Pay since it was first announced. At this rate they'll be the last to actually roll it out.

Yeah we've only got one major bank Westpac that hasn't rolled out Apple Pay and probably three or four of the largest credit union mutual banks which also haven't rolled out Apple Pay as of yet.

Notably Heritage Bank and Bank of Queensland.

tonyduffe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2018
Australia

This has now gone live with in app card provisioning.

While pushing out the news regarding the launch of wildcard I noticed that the following have been removed from Apple’s website.
  • Coles Financial Services
  • Paywith
  • Vault Payment
  • Wildcard

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.