Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porthole0676

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2023
So, I need to send my Macbook pro 16 inch M1 Pro in for service via mail-in to Apple's Czech republic location. I don't have any important data in the laptop and I don't want to back it up, but I still want to know what are the chances that I get a replacement instead of a repair.

Please let me know if you have had an experience getting your Macbook sent to Czech and if it got repaired, or replaced and how long did it take?

Thank you!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I have no experience with European Mac repairs.

But unless it is "un-fixable" via repair, they are going to "repair" it v. replace it.

What was WRONG with it?

Reactions: Fred Zed

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
I thought machines only got replaced when multiple repairs couldn't fix an issue.

I thought machines only got replaced when multiple repairs couldn't fix an issue.

Machines get replaced and not repaired when the cost of labour to repair it exceeds the cost of a one-for-one replacement.

Especially more so these days, the machines are less repairable than they are replaceable, and that is by design. For example, as far back as during the unibody MacBook Pro days, if the keyboard failed, the Apple repair centre wouldn’t replace the keyboard (as this can be done, but it also takes a couple of hours of labour as well as also handling north of fifty short, micro-sized screws which fasten the actual keyboard to the underside of the top case). Rather, they replaced the entire top case (which came with the back-lighting sheet already in place) and transferred your logic board assembly and display assembly to the new top case.

For the opening poster: it’s probably a prudent plan to go ahead and to back it up as if you were getting a different machine which, depending on what’s faulty on your own unit, might be what they do in lieu of just replacing parts within.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.