Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
Hello,

I will buy new iPad Air 4. I know that I will buy Magic Keyboard for it. Considering buying Apple Pencil 2.

I am not an artists. I am normal user. I will watch movies, Netflix, AppleTV +, listen to music, browsing web and probably I will play something.

Do you recommend me to buy Apple Pencil 2?

Regards,
J.

Reactions: cdcastillo

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I think the Magic Keyboard would be a better investment. I'm not an artist either, but originally used the Apple Pencil more as a stylus/mouse pointer. Once I got the Magic Keyboard, the Pencil just sits on my desk.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
The keyboard makes a great addition to the iPad. For those times when the iPad is free from the keyboard and in a hand held positions for the purpose of surfing and or other function and in conjunction with IOS 14 the pencil adds another dimension to the iPad, the ability to scribble on any text field. That for instance, you can hand write a quick reply to an incoming text and it translates to tectx, and or even enter into a safari search bar and bingo off you go. In addition with the notes app and or other note taking apps its a wonderful tool to take hand written notes. Both work well together and complete the iPad.

Reactions: Arran

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
I ended up picking up an Apple Pencil clone from AliExpress a few months ago ($17) just to play with it. Aside from the initial few days when I got it, and the few days of iOS 14 (messing with Scribbles)...I never use it.

If you're really unsure you'll use it, another option is you can always try an Apple Pencil clone then get the genuine Apple Pencil 2 if you find you're really using it.

Reactions: Dino F and philrock

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
From the OP’s usage description, I wouldn’t buy it.

Personally, I’ve been using my Pencil more because of Scribble.

Reactions: kazmac

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
I ended up picking up an Apple Pencil clone from AliExpress a few months ago ($17) just to play with it. Aside from the initial few days when I got it, and the few days of iOS 14 (messing with Scribbles)...I never use it.

If you're really unsure you'll use it, another option is you can always try an Apple Pencil clone then get the genuine Apple Pencil 2 if you find you're really using it.
Do the clones have much of the same functionality? I purchased a Apple Pencil yesterday but haven't opened it yet lol

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Do the clones have much of the same functionality? I purchased a Apple Pencil yesterday but haven't opened it yet lol
It depends upon the "clone". Alternatives like the Adonit Note use the same technology as the Logi Crayon... so no need to pair, supports palm rejection, but no pressure sensitivity and no tilt capabilities. I bought one for my wife to use on her 2018 iPad and it works great for the limited use cases she has.

For basic notetaking and sketching, the clones should be fine. I use my Apple Pencil with my iPad Mini 5 heavily as my digital journal/project notebook and I could just as easily use the Adonit Note or other alternatives.

One reason to keep the Apple Pencil is if you decide to buy an iPad case with a slot to store the Pencil. The clones aren't the same size and so they won't store the clones well. There is a stick-on spandex sleeve for the Pencil that would work with clones. It is a less elegant solution, but it can be added to virtually any case.

I have a case with dedicated slot for the Pencil for my Mini 5. Works great... I need to always have the Pencil with my iPad. But I also have 2 smartcovers for it, one has the spandex sleeve, which is also very hand... especially since the smartcover removes easily allowing it to function as an ereader. (without having any cover flipped back on the iPad)

Reactions: philrock

43moon

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2015
I am not an artist. I purchased a clone pencil. I ended up using it a lot more than I expected to. I like using it when scrolling through the browser, I like using it to take notes, and I found that I have missed simply doodling in the digital world. I ended up getting the official Apple Pencil 2 for the wireless charging and the pressure sensitivity and the ability to see the charge level. By no means at all am I suggesting that anyone on the fence buy it, but I am surprised how much I enjoy it. Especially since I figured the clone was going to be a novelty at best for me.

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
I am not an artist. I purchased a clone pencil. I ended up using it a lot more than I expected to. I like using it when scrolling through the browser, I like using it to take notes, and I found that I have missed simply doodling in the digital world. I ended up getting the official Apple Pencil 2 for the wireless charging and the pressure sensitivity and the ability to see the charge level. By no means at all am I suggesting that anyone on the fence buy it, but I am surprised how much I enjoy it. Especially since I figured the clone was going to be a novelty at best for me.
Sounds like you took a practical approach. A clone at 1/3 the price is a good way to test the waters.

I purchased the AP2 as much for my daughter as for me. She is a budding artist and enjoys the coloring apps--she's 7. Between the two of us it will for sure get use, was just wondering if it was overkill.

Thanks for your insight input @43moon and @sracer

Reactions: Dino F and sracer

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014

The clone I purchased has palm rejection and didn't need to pair to my 2018 11" Pro. There's no tilt nor pressure functionality. I don't have access to official Apple pencil so can't tell the size but it's appears to be the same size. Mine also sticks magnetically to the side of my iPad. It charges via usb c. It turns on and off by double tapping the other end of the pencil.

I find I barely use the Apple Pencil clone. I don't draw nor sketch that much aside from the honeymoon phase. It was useful when I tried a solo writing board game.. Scribble is near feature but not useful for me in real use. My Pencil clone just sits there but I don't feel bad for spending $17 on it. Lol

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
I'm leaning toward returning the AP2. I got a good deal on it but still cost me $116 otd. Sounds like the bulk of things can be accomplished using a clone at a fraction of the cost... I can always get another if it turns out I need more.

Reactions: tops2 and sracer

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I use it most of the time because the iPad Air 4 seems to leave a lot of finger print smudges compared to my old iPad Pro 10.5. it’s bothering me when I scroll on white pages

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I haven’t been drawing since school, and that’s awhile ago to say the least. Bought the AP2 mostly for taking notes.

But I’ve heard of Procreate and thought I might give it a try. Been stuck with it for hours following guides on YouTube. It’s really fun, relaxing and rewarding. I love my Pencil now, I was really on the fence about it, but glad I gave in!

Reactions: philrock

mikiee

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2020
Can you use these pencils to highlight text. When using the “notes” app, when I paste text into a note and bring up the markup feature, it will not let me draw or under line on the text using my finger. It only lets me scribble at the bottom of the page. Would the pencil let me write or highlight in the text area.

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
I returned the AP2 and have a JAMJAKE on the way. Got it for $24 as a lightning deal. That's $90 back in my pocket (for now.) If this turns out useful and need more/better functionality I'll get the AP2 again.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
An interesting thread as I have recently bought a 2020 iPad Air and now considering getting an Apple Pencil/clone.

Think I will go for a clone to try it out first to see how I get on.

Anybody know how these would work with a tempered glass protector - is the sensitivity of the pencil reduced at all (does it even work at all?!) ?

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
...is the Apple Pencil overkill for just browsing an iPad then (if you're not using it for notes) ?!
For me, no, I use it almost as much as I use my IPad Pro. The only time I dont use it is when I am using my Magic Keyboard. Besides using it as a stylus for moving about, taking notes, look at a new feature called “scribble”. This allows you to write with the pencil in any texts field, and the written text is converted to typed text and you move on, or go to the web site for instance.

• Love
Reactions: LibbyLA and Dino F
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.