Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced the Apple Pencil Pro with a new squeeze gesture, gyroscope, haptic feedback, Find My support, and more.

Apple-Pencil-Pro-Newsroom.jpg

A new sensor in the Apple Pencil Pro allows users to squeeze the accessory to bring up a tool palette to quickly switch tools, line weights, and colors. In addition, a new gyroscope allows users to rotate the Apple Pencil Pro for precise control of shaped pen and brush tools.

Equipped with a new haptic engine, the Apple Pencil Pro provides a light tap when users squeeze, use double-tap, or snap to a Smart Shape.

Apple-Pencil-Pro.jpeg

Apple Pencil Pro is the first Apple Pencil with support for the Find My app, which helps users find the accessory if it is misplaced.

Apple Pencil Pro pairs, charges, and is stored on the side of the newly-announced iPad Pro and iPad Air models, which feature a new magnetic interface. It is not compatible with any other iPad models.

In the U.S., the Apple Pencil Pro is priced at $129. It is available to order starting today, and launches Wednesday, May 15.

Article Link: Apple Pencil Pro Unveiled With New Squeeze Gesture, Haptic Feedback, Find My, and More

Last edited:

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 65816
May 11, 2010
Lol absolutely laughable they’re splitting the pencil product line. No end to their idiocy and greed.

Pencil Pro 😂 what the hell.

Then artificially lock it to use on the new iPads only. On top of the not reducing the price of the 2nd gen pencil. Poor business ethics.

Last edited:

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Lol absolutely laughable they’re splitting the pencil product line. No end to their idiocy and greed.

Pencil Pro 😂 what the hell.

It has always been a mess. iPad X used Apple Pencil 2 yet iPad Y, released after iPad X still used Apple Pencil 1 and now we had iPads that had different ways to plug in the same pencil.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
So existing iPad Pro/Air users who already have a Pencil 2 will need to get a NEW pencil if they want to upgrade to the latest Pro. Do I have that right?

Reactions: transpo1

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 65816
May 11, 2010
Was about to buy one for my ipad mini but then saw that it only works with the new ipads announced today

Scam. It’s the same connector and interface lol but of course they software lock it so you buy the new ipad. shareholders suck, apple should be private
Blame Tim Cook. He started paying dividends after Steve Job’s died. Steve’s Jobs didn’t pay a penny to shareholders. Zero.

cnnyy20p

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2021
Was about to buy one for my ipad mini but then saw that it only works with the new ipads announced today

Scam. It’s the same connector and interface lol but of course they software lock it so you buy the new ipad. shareholders suck, apple should be private
I think they use a different charging mechanism. Because of the new front facing camera position...

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The answer that everyone is looking for: no, Apple will not take your money today because Pencil Pro doesn’t work with your iPad. You’ll need to buy an all new iPad for that.

IMG_0845.jpeg

A couple of major points that I noticed is that with a Taptic Engine, the new Pencil Pro opens up some really interesting capabilities:

1. Surface simulation. Writing on glass is one of only a few downsides of a digital Pencil, but one that can be overcome by the Taptic Engine simulating a rough surface of paper or brush strokes on a canvas.

2. visionOS support. Drawing in air or tapping items in Spatial computing with the Pencil Pro could produce a satisfying click, like the Magic Trackpad does so convincingly.

Last edited:

RobertoDLV

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2021
So existing iPad Pro/Air users who already have a Pencil 2 will need to get a NEW pencil if they want to upgrade to the latest Pro. Do I have that right?
Seems right to me according to their pencil comparison. Mother Nature would be so proud.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
Another question is: Does all Apple Pencil Pro features also work on iPad Air or not? Cannot find info. Like for example Apple Pencil 2nd Generation only hover works on Pro but not on Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.