Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vapourtrails

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2016
My Apple Pencil shows the onscreen connection animation but never shows connected. It will not draw. The connection animation takes a while and seems to make the iPad unresponsive until it stops. Any suggestions?

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
You can try several tricks that worked for me over the years may be it can work now.

1. Please check the compatibility with the iPad. You can check the Apple Pencil Pro compatibility here.
2. Toggle off and Toggle on Bluetooth on your iPad. It will fix the temporary issues connecting with your Apple Pencil Pro. Also, try the forget device option!
3. Enable Scribble mode on your Apple Pencil Pro. It will test your Apple Pencil thoroughly and improve the compatibility with other apps and features.

Try these fixes, and let me know if that works for you!

vapourtrails

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2016
Thanks for the input. I ended up taking it to the Apple Store and it turns out my VPN was somehow stopping the connection from working. After turning it off the pencil connected. The iPad is the 13’ pro and the pencil pro.

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
Thanks for the input. I ended up taking it to the Apple Store and it turns out my VPN was somehow stopping the connection from working. After turning it off the pencil connected. The iPad is the 13’ pro and the pencil pro.
That's unexpected. 😅 I thought you must have checked that first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.