Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Howdy! So I have been working on a prototype Apple Pencil stand and travel case for myself to solve a few of the problems I've had with seeing other cases or chargers or whatever. I simply want to know what you guys think of it.

The pictures are pretty self explanatory, but a summary of features are:

- Stand for pencil
- Holds the charging adapter you receive with pencil so it can be charged easily be charged on the go
- Holds extra pencil nib so it doesn't get lost
- Has a securely attachable top portion to act as a travel case so it can be easily (and sorta carelessly) tossed into your bag for on the go.

There are already some changes to it I am going to make, but this is the basic concept. You'll have to pardon some of the imperfections on this piece too as I 3d printed it, painted it, electroplated it for the metal finish, and sealed it with a highly durable glossy finish.

So, what do you guys think? I am welcoming of any and all thoughts, criticisms, questions, etc...
_DSC0611.JPG
_DSC0616.jpg
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
_DSC0628.JPG
_DSC0641.jpg
_DSC0642.jpg
FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Javabird

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
i like your basic concept, and that you can just put the cover on and take it with you. Good job.
I'm not sure about the cone shape but overall it's a great concept. For myself I might prefer a case/holder that is lies horizontally on a desk, but that's just me.

Reactions: GrindedDown

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
i like your basic concept, and that you can just put the cover on and take it with you. Good job.
I'm not sure about the cone shape but overall it's a great concept. For myself I might prefer a case/holder that is lies horizontally on a desk, but that's just me.

Fair enough. Do you mean kinda like the trays at the apple store used for holding the demo pencils?

I come from a background of using wacom tablets, guess i got used to them being upright.

Even better if you could charge it while perpendicular.

Hmm, I think I remember seeing a charger out there like that. I might have to explore that idea some.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Are you going to go the Kickstarter route with this? Keep us posted!

It's certainly a possibility and I have been slowly preparing myself in the event that I do, but primarily I just want to share it and get feedback. It sorta started as an obsession of trying to create a pencil solution that I find adequate for myself lol. Thanks for checking it out Alli. I'll certainly keep updates going.

This is really cool man, except for the shape.
I would be loath to pull that out in public.

Lol, I can totally understand that. Could you be more descriptive about it? Why you don't like it or maybe what would a preferred solution for you be?

Thanks for looking and for the feedback btw!

Great job, very creative and esthetic! Best of luck with the project!

Thank you very much for taking the time to check it out.

Last edited:

ftlum

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
Looks good. I'd like to see the charging cord on the side so it charges while standing. Also, many people add pen clips and rubber grips-- it be good to be compatible with those. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it'd be great to be able to use it as a stand with the pencil tip pointing down and when you need to charge it, flip the pencil over and put in into the same slot to charge. Also, if possible, it'd be nice to see a version where the pencil goes in at an angle, like you see with some regular desktop pen stands.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Looks good. I'd like to see the charging cord on the side so it charges while standing. Also, many people add pen clips and rubber grips-- it be good to be compatible with those. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it'd be great to be able to use it as a stand with the pencil tip pointing down and when you need to charge it, flip the pencil over and put in into the same slot to charge. Also, if possible, it'd be nice to see a version where the pencil goes in at an angle, like you see with some regular desktop pen stands.

Certinaly some good feedback. I too would like to see it charge while standing upright. I'll have to do some work to see if can be done without sacrificing aesthetics. I may have some ideas...

I haven't actually seen the ones in the Apple Store. I guess I was thinking more of the rectangular pencil boxes I used to use when I was a kid.
oh yeah ok, I still have one or two of those around myself. They are pretty nifty.

Reactions: php123

Andy847

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2016
Chicago Suburb
I like the concept and agree about the shape. I'd like to see it charge while in upright position also. That would save space on the desktop, rather than laying it down. Also, with the shape, laying it down like that I think it would roll some with the pencil charging on a slippery surface. That's the problem the Apple pencil, because it's round. So charging upright would solve that problem also. Otherwise I would go with a square shape or something the wouldn't roll on it's side like that. Nice concept though, good luck with it!

php123

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2015
Certinaly some good feedback. I too would like to see it charge while standing upright. I'll have to do some work to see if can be done without sacrificing aesthetics. I may have some ideas...

oh yeah ok, I still have one or two of those around myself. They are pretty nifty.
Test

php123

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2015
I like the concept and agree about the shape. I'd like to see it charge while in upright position also. That would save space on the desktop, rather than laying it down. Also, with the shape, laying it down like that I think it would roll some with the pencil charging on a slippery surface. That's the problem the Apple pencil, because it's round. So charging upright would solve that problem also. Otherwise I would go with a square shape or something the wouldn't roll on it's side like that. Nice concept though, good luck with it!

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Lol, I can totally understand that. Could you be more descriptive about it? Why you don't like it or maybe what would a preferred solution for you be?
I think the thing people might be thinking but not saying is: it looks like a vibrator or a medical tool, specifically a plastic anal dilator. That was certainly my first reaction anyway. :}

Other than that though I love the concept. I don't know what I'd do to make it look less questionable.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
I think the thing people might be thinking but not saying is: it looks like a vibrator or a medical tool, specifically a plastic anal dilator. That was certainly my first reaction anyway. :}

Other than that though I love the concept. I don't know what I'd do to make it look less questionable.

In hindsight, i definitely agree with you on that one. It looks like a dildo haha.

I'll tell you, I use the stand all the time and I love it.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Canada
I think this is the reason Steve Jobs hated the idea of a stylus. It makes too many problems that people feel they need to solve.

Your design looks solid, almost too solid. The pencil has been attached to my iPad case for as long as I've had it and never had an issue, I wouldn't be inclined to buy something that takes up more space and adds weight. Unless the Pencil becomes a digital must have tool, like a pointer, remote, drawing tool, and more I can't see people needing to protect it to this degree.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
I think this is the reason Steve Jobs hated the idea of a stylus. It makes too many problems that people feel they need to solve.

Your design looks solid, almost too solid. The pencil has been attached to my iPad case for as long as I've had it and never had an issue, I wouldn't be inclined to buy something that takes up more space and adds weight. Unless the Pencil becomes a digital must have tool, like a pointer, remote, drawing tool, and more I can't see people needing to protect it to this degree.

Yeah I think you are right in some regards. I think one of the flaws of the pencil is the use of several, very small, and very easy to misplace tools like the cap, pencil tip, and charging adapter. I have found that the problem really isn't that bad though because those pieces aren't totally required for on the go use.

How are you keeping your pencil attached to your pro? How about when you take your ipad with you when your out and about or traveling?

Personally, I am constantly finding it tough to store my pencil on the go, whether it is in my bag or while I am working on the iPad. In my case, I have used wacom tablets for several years now and have found the stand they include with their stylus to be pretty damn great.

One major problem I have with my own design here is that I don't really ever use the top piece that attaches to the pencil for carrying it. I really only use the stand itself. Protection for the pencil was never the goal. The goal was to make an easy to use stand for quickly grabbing the pencil that makes it difficult to lose the easy-to-lose pieces. To my own delight, it works surprisingly well and I use it all the time.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Andy847

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2016
Chicago Suburb
I use the pencil a lot on the go and I use the magnetic Sleeve by Moxiware for easy access to the pencil when using the IPad. It sticks to my smart cover or the Ipad itself. I also just either attach it to my Zoogue case which can hold the pencil with the sleeve on it and I throw it in my Laptop bag I use for the IPP and any cords or chargers I need to bring with. Works for me.

I admit, most people want minimal amount of stuff to carry around, and if that were the case I could just take my Zoogue Case with the pencil attached. Either way is fine for me, but I like to carry by the handle of the laptop bag, rather than holding the actual IPP with the Zoogue case itself.

I did want to add, with your design, I think it would be fine without the top part that slims down. You could use just the bottom part for a stand or for charging. Really don't understand the need for the top part, other than the rolling away if on it's side.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Well I like your feedback. I agree that the top part is rather unnecessary actually. I made it so the stand would also act as a transport, but with the various sleeves and cases like the ones you have, transporting isn't enough of a problem to warrant the case the way it's designed.

I may remove the top piece altogether and iterate the stand to make it more compact. That would make it for easier travel too. I'll admit tho, I love using the stand.

Thanks for the input! It's helpful to see how everyone is actually using the pencil and carrying it around. Heck, I don't even use the top because it's simply too big to carry around with me. I wouldn't be opposed to a dedicated case, but my own proposed solution is rather subpar. And, as others have mentioned, it sorta looks like a dildo....

Andy847

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2016
Chicago Suburb
Yeah, there's that..... LOL. Hey, at least you designed something yourself and it works well for you. More than most would do on here and it's good to see other ideas people have. You can help the next guy who's trying to design something for the AP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.