Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
The age old question, should I get an iPad Air or a MacBook Air? I know that answer for my needs, an iPad Air with a keyboard. Now that the iPad Air will be released with a 13" Screen, the Apple to Apple comparison can be made. ;)

The costs.........

13" MacBook Air M2, $850, 8gb/256gb at Best Buy. $999 at Apple.

13" iPad Air M2 with Keyboard, $1148, 8gb/128gb at Apple. Add another $100 to get to 256gb.

That is quite the price difference and downright confusing to me. An iPad satisfies all of my needs but the price tells me I should buy a MacBook, which is overkill for my needs, I think? Am I not seeing something correctly here? Is an iPad with an M2 a superior processing device over an M2 MacBook that I am not aware of? Does Apple now consider an iPad more useful than a MacBook and warrants a premium?

Last edited:

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Honestly, an iPad Air, with superior front and rear cameras and a touchscreen, is a technically more advanced device than a similarly spec'd Macbook Air. It seems strange, but it is true.

I have to agree from a hardware perspective. I just find it hard to grasp that a "computer" can no longer do everything today but I can't deny that there are some great apps that just don't run natively on computers. I know with an iPad, I won't miss anything I do on a MacBook but on a MacBook, I would miss some apps so I just ponied up. ;) Looking forward to delivery next week.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
This is interesting as I am in a similar quandary now. Our daughter's 2017 MacBook just died and we're trying to decide whether it should be replaced with a iPad Air or an MBA.

If it were me it would be a no brainer as I do a lot of stuff on a computer that I can't see doing on an iPad: Libre Office, simple coding via iTerm2, photo editing with Graphic Converter and that sort of thing. On the other hand, I'm sure the kid doesn't do any of those things and, I'm guessing here, probably spends most of her time watching videos.

So, I guess I need to shred my biases and go with an iPad?

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
Different device category's with different use cases and like someone already said the iPad is the 'superior' device from a hardware standpoint (better screen, better camera's, same soc/storage/ram).

Also competition wise the iPad basically has no competition while the Mac has competition from Windows laptops which has a factor in the pricing.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The frustration to me isn’t that iPad is more expensive - I get that, due to the technical differences.

What’s frustrating to me is that an iPad STILL is literally not able to replace tasks that are relatively simple on a
Mac, due to the app just not existing. My MacBook Pro runs iPad apps easily, but my iPad is hobbled by the App Store offerings.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I feel like iPads are really “add-on” devices to the Apple experience. If I had to choose, it would be a MacBook which has more versatility.

The iPad to me is more of a luxury consumption device. During my personal time I use it more than my MacBook, but for some tasks (anything related to planning or productivity) I would 100% prefer a MacBook Air.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
If you really want the iPad, you might be happier with that in the long run. Last year I sold my base 12.9" M1 iPad Pro (with MKB) and got a base M2 MacBook Air (along with a little bit of money back!). Both devices 100% satisfy my needs, but I had lot more fun working on the iPad and regret getting rid of it.

Though with macOS 15 and iOS 18, I think having the MacBook is a lot more practical to me as I can mirror my iPhone to it. Either way, both devices will last you years and you can't really go wrong with either.

If you live in the US, keep an eye out for Best Buy open box sales. When I bought my MacBook, it was on sale, plus I got an extra ~$100 off because it was open box. It was in perfect condition.

Reactions: Buadhai

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
The iPad Air is probably the better buy if you are going with 8GB or ram. I feel like it manages the ram way better.

iPad Air is a great machine in both sizes. So is iPad frankly. All of the iPads, with large touchscreens, good cameras, compatibility with a lot of peripherals, are great tech devices.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
This is interesting as I am in a similar quandary now. Our daughter's 2017 MacBook just died and we're trying to decide whether it should be replaced with a iPad Air or an MBA.

If it were me it would be a no brainer as I do a lot of stuff on a computer that I can't see doing on an iPad: Libre Office, simple coding via iTerm2, photo editing with Graphic Converter and that sort of thing. On the other hand, I'm sure the kid doesn't do any of those things and, I'm guessing here, probably spends most of her time watching videos.

So, I guess I need to shred my biases and go with an iPad?
It really depends what your daughter needs it for. Is it for school? My kids are still young enough that they don’t need a laptop, and an iPad is way more useful to them. If my kid was in high school, or going off to college, I still think a MacBook / laptop is more of the right tool for them for what they may need. It’s still better even for simple word processing / spreadsheets / writing reports. In 10 years, who knows if that’ll still be the case, but today, I still think so.

If it’s more a consumption device than a “school-work productivity tool”, in that case, an iPad Air + MK might be able to pull double-duty. And as the OP originally said, the iPad Air is generally priced more expensive because it is the more versatile and ”technologically advanced” device.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
Our daughter is a 30YO live at home adult. I'm sure that the failed MBA was much more of a consumption device than a productivity device. (Although how do you know when the "kid" is usually in her room alone when not at work?)

I agree, the iPad is probably more appropriate. If she ever actually become productive we can always get the MK.

Thanks.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

Reverend Benny

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
@MacAndMic

Both devices are great but have different use cases, that's how I view it.
As far as I know you can run iPad apps on the MacBook, but since it lacks touch the user experience won't be the same.

I have both an iPad Pro M1 11" with Logitechs keyboard case and the MacBook Air M1 and if I had to choose between them (and not taking into account all the other laptops and gadgets I have) I would go for the MacBook Air.
But that's if I had to choose what to use as a main device for my needs.

Both are great devices tho, I would miss my MacBook if I didn't have it and miss my iPad if I had to let that go. But in fairness, I only really use my iPad for watching movies and playing the occasional game and so on, a cheaper iPad but with 5G would suit my needs just as well.

But in your case after viewing your second post maybe an iPad would suit all your needs.

Why not have a lookout for a sale on the M2 iPad Pro 12.9 (Face ID is great) and tie that with a Logitech keyboard (great protective case and detachable keyboard). They can prob be found at decent prices now when the new iPad Pro is out.

ILoveCalvinCool

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2012
To me, these devices are in different categories. One of them is a media consumption device and one is a computer. I need a computer, so the ipad is just not an option. If you think the ipad is an option, then it's probably the device you need and you should get it. But I don't think these are really comparable devices in the way OP suggests.

Reactions: Buadhai and gusping

nStyle

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2009
The prices of iPads have balooned so much that anything over the regular iPad I would not even consider, especially since they restrict what should be basic features like 120hz to the Pro model. And you look at the Mac, it's either stayed the same price or gotten cheaper with more features.

Even for consumption these days I prefer a laptop. Sold my 12.9" M1 Pro and haven't missed it at all. If I want another iPad, I'll get a basic one, but I haven't had the itch to be honest. Only time I really "need" it is on the plane but I've adapted to my phone for the most part.

Reactions: Buadhai and gusping

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
@MacAndMic

Both devices are great but have different use cases, that's how I view it.
As far as I know you can run iPad apps on the MacBook, but since it lacks touch the user experience won't be the same.

I have both an iPad Pro M1 11" with Logitechs keyboard case and the MacBook Air M1 and if I had to choose between them (and not taking into account all the other laptops and gadgets I have) I would go for the MacBook Air.
But that's if I had to choose what to use as a main device for my needs.

Both are great devices tho, I would miss my MacBook if I didn't have it and miss my iPad if I had to let that go. But in fairness, I only really use my iPad for watching movies and playing the occasional game and so on, a cheaper iPad but with 5G would suit my needs just as well.

But in your case after viewing your second post maybe an iPad would suit all your needs.

Why not have a lookout for a sale on the M2 iPad Pro 12.9 (Face ID is great) and tie that with a Logitech keyboard (great protective case and detachable keyboard). They can prob be found at decent prices now when the new iPad Pro is out.

I ended up going with the M2 13” Air and Apple Keyboard. I love this setup, it works great for my needs. I do have a M1 Air MacBook and have since given it to my wife to replace an aging MB Air she had. I have not missed the Mac at all, except once! Printing to my networked printers. They are older and do not work with the iOS printing system. Not a big issue, I have a “big” machine that I use for work or I could just jump on my Wife’s M1 Air but I print maybe a handful of times a year.

One HUGE thing for me was an iOS mapping app that interfaces with my fish finder / mapping network on my boat. Garmin does not make that app for Mac so for me, the 2 worlds came together. I started playing some games too, something I never did on my M1 Air. Touchscreen makes a difference. If Apple would only add touch to a Mac……..

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Can your workloads work just as well (if not better) on an iPad Air than a MacBook Air, then get the iPad Air? The cost difference will even out when you consider how much less overhead you have when compared to a proper computer (e.g. Mac, Windows PC, etc.).

If your workloads still require a proper computer, get a Mac (or Windows PC, if you prefer) and maybe get a smaller iPad like a 10th Generation iPad, a mini, or an "11-inch" Air to supplement.

Personally, The iPad Pro vs. MacBook debate mostly got solved for me. Now it's MacBook on the 13-inch/14-inch side of things and iPad mini from here on in!

Last edited:

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
I ended up going with the M2 13” Air and Apple Keyboard. I love this setup, it works great for my needs. I do have a M1 Air MacBook and have since given it to my wife to replace an aging MB Air she had. I have not missed the Mac at all, except once! Printing to my networked printers. They are older and do not work with the iOS printing system. Not a big issue, I have a “big” machine that I use for work or I could just jump on my Wife’s M1 Air but I print maybe a handful of times a year.

One HUGE thing for me was an iOS mapping app that interfaces with my fish finder / mapping network on my boat. Garmin does not make that app for Mac so for me, the 2 worlds came together. I started playing some games too, something I never did on my M1 Air. Touchscreen makes a difference. If Apple would only add touch to a Mac……..
The one thing to consider assuming you are in the USA and still have time to return the 12.9 iPad air is the 12.9 iPad Pro. The screen is a substantial jump, it it does HDR content unlike the air, and it had promotion unlike the air. The price is the same right now in Best Buy. A 128 gb pro is 799. The Magic Keyboard is comparable, the only disadvantage is you have the face id camera on the side, and it uses the regular apple pencil but you get a superior screen with promotion, face id, better speakers for the same price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.