Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Apple has put up statement about how ipad unibody is made:

"iPad Pro unibody enclosure design.
Learn more about how the enclosure is made and tested."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209403

Published Date: January 5, 2019

End of write up reads:

"If you believe you have an issue with your iPad Pro enclosure
If you believe your new iPad Pro does not meet the specifications described in this article, please contact Apple Support. Apple offers a 14-day return policy for products purchased directly from Apple. Apple also provides up to a one-year warranty on our products and will cover damage if it has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship."

Last edited:
Reactions: newellj

Hansl

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2018
Apple has put up statement about how ipad unibody is made:

"iPad Pro unibody enclosure design.
Learn more about how the enclosure is made and tested."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209403

Published Date: January 5, 2019

End of write up reads:

"If you believe you have an issue with your iPad Pro enclosure
If you believe your new iPad Pro does not meet the specifications described in this article, please contact Apple Support. Apple offers a 14-day return policy for products purchased directly from Apple. Apple also provides up to a one-year warranty on our products and will cover damage if it has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship."

Such a disappointing response once again.

And are they also implying that the bend is only on the LTE models?

Reactions: jimmy_uk

janezblond

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013

How is it a dissapointing response? They are on the record saying the new iPad Pro is designed to be flatter than the old iPads and that the cellular model is more likely to appear curved while still being within the 400 micrometer tolerance along any edge.

Any bending curvature outside this is not as intended and can be returned/replaced under warranty.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
How is it a dissapointing response? They are on the record saying the new iPad Pro is designed to be flatter than the old iPads and that the cellular model is more likely to appear curved while still being within the 400 micrometer tolerance along any edge.

Any bending curvature outside this is not as intended and can be returned/replaced under warranty.
Probably because the answer was simply repeating Apple's return and warranty policies.

"...cover damage if it has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship"

This phrase should cause concern for anyone who is past the 14 day return window and notices that their iPad is bowed. Then each individual will have to try to convince the Apple geniuses that the bow was a result of defect in materials or workmanship. Apple's response will vary from store to store and even genius to genius.

Hansl

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2018
Probably because the answer was simply repeating Apple's return and warranty policies.

"...cover damage if it has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship"

This phrase should cause concern for anyone who is past the 14 day return window and notices that their iPad is bowed. Then each individual will have to try to convince the Apple geniuses that the bow was a result of defect in materials or workmanship. Apple's response will vary from store to store and even genius to genius.

Yes exactly. It's merely repeating what they have previously said. Only thing that has changed from the previous statement is that it seems to confirm that only the LTE models are affected.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK

Agreed. And this description still allows for some disagreement:

"The new straight edges and the presence of the antenna splits may make subtle deviations in flatness more visible only from certain viewing angles that are imperceptible during normal use. These small variances do not affect the strength of the enclosure or the function of the product and will not change over time through normal use."

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
I for one appreciate Apple’s publishing of this. This at least set some standards. It could be presumed that deviations along any side of the device greater than .4 mm could be considered a defect in the workmanship. Here is a picture of my 11 inch LTE model. I returned it out of an abundance of caution during the return period. I can always buy it again. Truthfully, the bigger reason for me for the return was the in ability to use a glass screen protector. I wanted to keep the device long time. I want to use it around my workbench with various debris present.

With the help of my wife, a reliable straight edge and a pair of calipers, we measured deviations on the short sides (gaps to the straight edge) of about 1.5 mm and very close to 2 mm. With my use case involving using the device in rapidly changing temperatures such at my garage workbench in the winter and then in the heat in the house, I was concerned about temperature fluctuation metallurgy changes.

https://flic.kr/p/2cCxymN

AlexiTQ

macrumors member
May 22, 2016
This is exactly what could and should be expected by Apple.

They’ve set the standards. If your unit deviates from them you will be serviced by their return policy.

That’s straight up fair play.

thedemoncowboy

Suspended
Jan 2, 2019
I for one appreciate Apple’s publishing of this. This at least set some standards. It could be presumed that deviations along any side of the device greater than .4 mm could be considered a defect in the workmanship. Here is a picture of my 11 inch LTE model. I returned it out of an abundance of caution during the return period. I can always buy it again. Truthfully, the bigger reason for me for the return was the in ability to use a glass screen protector. I wanted to keep the device long time. I want to use it around my workbench with various debris present.

With the help of my wife, a reliable straight edge and a pair of calipers, we measured deviations on the short sides (gaps to the straight edge) of about 1.5 mm and very close to 2 mm. With my use case involving using the device in rapidly changing temperatures such at my garage workbench in the winter and then in the heat in the house, I was concerned about temperature fluctuation metallurgy changes.

https://flic.kr/p/2cCxymN
So what did you do about it?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

What’s dissapointing about it? If you think your iPad has an issue you take it in to apple.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Apple’s response seems straight forward and reasonable to me. When looking at mine from some angles it seems like there is a small (and I mean small) bend but less from other angles. On previous iPads including my 10.5 when looking on the edge, yes there was a small curvature on it also. People are blowing this out of proportion. If you have a bend and you don’t like it return it. If it bothers you don’t buy it.

jacojac

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017

When I went in for my first iPad Pro they told me I had accidentally damaged it! 3 iPads later they now know I didn't all bent out of the box! But they won't replace them anymore.

Attachments

• BEND.jpg
    BEND.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 192

AlexiTQ

macrumors member
May 22, 2016
What’s dissapointing about it? If you think your iPad has an issue you take it in to apple.
Yep, and Apple has now officially stated that more than 400 microns curvature is out of spec and eligible for return.

If you think that’s unfair you should attack their return policy.

I personally don’t know if the return policy is good or bad. Where I live you can return a faulty product within two years, if the issue is a cause of the product and not the buyer. Within 6 months any issue is presumed to be the product and the burden of evidence is on the seller. So, I’m not too worried myself.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yep, and Apple has now officially stated that more than 400 microns curvature is out of spec and eligible for return.

If you think that’s unfair you should attack their return policy.

I personally don’t know if the return policy is good or bad. Where I live you can return a faulty product within two years, if the issue is a cause of the product and not the buyer. Within 6 months any issue is presumed to be the product and the burden of evidence is on the seller. So, I’m not too worried myself.
I think even out of warranty products if you speak to them nicely normally they replace them.

jacojac

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
This is exactly what could and should be expected by Apple.

They’ve set the standards. If your unit deviates from them you will be serviced by their return policy.

That’s straight up fair play.

I've had 4, all 1-2mm out. They didn't want to replace them, I've now got the fourth and they have said they're not going to replace the device again. Here's a picture of the bend on the fourth unit

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 180
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.