Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edjusted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
I've been using ARD for years, and am currently on version 3.8. I'm running it on Mac Sierra and connecting to Yosemite clients.

It seems like in the past year or so, latency has jumped off a cliff...even when the client only has a browser open (usually Chrome, if it makes a difference), controlling it remotely stutters like crazy...I'm talking about sometimes having to wait 30+ seconds for it to "catch up".

It's much much worse if I'm trying to control a running video (running on VLC). In the past, I've been able to control a client running a video on VLC very smoothly. Now, it might take upwards of a minute+ for even a keystroke to register. That is, if a video is running on the client...I ARD in and take control. I move the mouse around and it *sometimes* takes 30-60 seconds for the client to show that I moved the mouse around. Likewise, if I hit the space bar to pause/play the video, it might take another 30-60+ seconds for that to take effect.

FWIW, if I log in using a VNC client, the latency is gone and it works very smoothly like it used to.

I've tried to delete my ARD preferences, tried doing this from a new User (so all preferences/caches are "fresh), and get the same results.

Also, I'm connecting via wireless 802.11ac. Both the client and controller are literally about 10 feet away from the router. Though this used to work very smooth even when I was only on 802.11n.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Hopefully there's a fix, and it's not just that Apple's kicked ARD to the curb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.