Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
Does Apple Remote Desktop allow connections to Mac-Mini-M1's outside! of the same network with login screen access (no monitor connected)? (aka. does it work like teamviewer)?

(one time payment of 80usd sounds better to me than 30usd for teamviewer every month)

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Apple Remote desktop is primarily designed for remote management and assistance rather than as a replacement for TeamViewer.

Personally, I use Jump desktop to access my macs remotely and regularly use it to access a headless M1 mac mini and windows machines in my office while working from home: you just need to install an agent app on any machine you want to access and while the agent isn't M1 native yet (the main app is M1 native), I've had no issues with it. I also put an HDMI dummy plug on any headless machine I want to access (not sure it's really necessary but I've had issues with some machines and low resolution if no monitor is plugged in and for around $5 a plug, it's not a big cost)

It's not the cheapest app around and if you want it on an iPad and a Mac you have to buy it from each store separately, but for me it's been worth every penny (and it's a one off rather than recurring charge)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.