Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meetmeinmontauk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2017
Hi,

Minecraft was released dec 19th 2016 for apple TV. Presumably running on 3rd gen apple TV hardware.

(4K apple TV was announced Sept 2017)

Ok so we have 9 months of Minecraft being available and running on 3rd gen hardware.

A friend of mine went to the apple store yesterday and was told very plainly that if they wanted to play Minecraft on apple TV they would need to purchase a 4K model.

Apple now also have a compatibility check site https://screencast.com/t/FIpJrhnFzm

Again confirming that gaming controllers and Minecraft only function on the latest model.

Gaming controllers for Apple TV have been around probably since 2015 maybe longer.
Minecraft was out 9 months before Apple TV 4k...

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Was the game/OS patched to only run on the 4k model?

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Minecraft runs fine on the Apple TV 4 (the one that came out in 2015) and the Apple TV 4K (which came out this year). It does not run on the old Apple TV 3 (which I presume is what you mean by "3rd gen"), which has been around since 2012.

Poontaco

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2014
Hi,

Minecraft was released dec 19th 2016 for apple TV. Presumably running on 3rd gen apple TV hardware.

(4K apple TV was announced Sept 2017)

Ok so we have 9 months of Minecraft being available and running on 3rd gen hardware.

A friend of mine went to the apple store yesterday and was told very plainly that if they wanted to play Minecraft on apple TV they would need to purchase a 4K model.

Apple now also have a compatibility check site https://screencast.com/t/FIpJrhnFzm

Again confirming that gaming controllers and Minecraft only function on the latest model.

Gaming controllers for Apple TV have been around probably since 2015 maybe longer.
Minecraft was out 9 months before Apple TV 4k...

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Was the game/OS patched to only run on the 4k model?

Minecraft was released for the 4th Gen. Apple TV.
The 5th Gen. Apple TV (Apple TV 4K) is now available.
Mine craft works on the 4th and 5th Gen. Apple TV's.
It has never worked on the 3rd Gen. Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.