Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swimtech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Hello folks,

I work at an Adobe enterprise environment, and I have been trying to keep users from updating Adobe Applications. In a mixed environment, there are all kinds of fun issues that can occur from minor patch releases. Silly things like colors varying slightly, and interface changes that drive my creative folks crazy. But when one person updates, many times others have to update. Thus it becomes a nonstop cycle of updating when we don't want to.

There are many ways I can do this through an enterprise update server, but I decided to dig into this way.

After deploying an Adobe Enterprise package, I noticed there was a ServiceConfig.xml file that Adobe Creative Cloud desktop references. This is located at: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE/Configs/ServiceConfig.xml.

There are a few things you can enable and disable via this xml, but I just wanted the end user to not be able to update, as well as hide the App panel inside the Cloud app altogether. This prompts a call to my engineering group and thus we have an opportunity to talk about the update and what is needed for it. It cuts down on surprises.

Anyway, I created an automator that stops the necessary desktop apps and services on the mac, gives a selection and reconfigures (after deleting) the xml file. I thought I would share. I am sure there are cleaner ways to to do this.

I created an Automated to run AppleScript and cleared out the data and replaced with this:
-------
try

do shell script "pkill -9 'Adobe Desktop Service'" with administrator privileges

do shell script "pkill -9 'Creative Cloud'" with administrator privileges

end try

try

do shell script "rm '/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE/Configs/ServiceConfig.xml'" with administrator privileges

end try

set AdobeChoices to {"Disable Updates", "Enable Updates"}

set AdobeChoice to choose from list AdobeChoices with prompt "Select your option for Adobe Updates:" default items "Disable Updates"

if AdobeChoice contains "Disable Updates" then

do shell script "sudo echo '<config><panel><name>AppsPanel</name><visible>false</visible></panel><feature><name>SelfServeInstalls</name><enabled>false</enabled></feature></config>' >> '/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE/Configs/ServiceConfig.xml'" with administrator privileges

display dialog "Restarting services" giving up after 5

else

do shell script "sudo echo '<config><panel><name>AppsPanel</name><visible>true</visible></panel><feature><name>SelfServeInstalls</name><enabled>true</enabled></feature></config>' >> '/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE/Configs/ServiceConfig.xml'" with administrator privileges

display dialog "Restarting services" giving up after 5

end if

try

do shell script "open -a '/Applications/Adobe Creative Cloud/Adobe Creative Cloud'" with administrator privileges

end try

---

Best of luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.