Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Usman.F

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2020
I've recently gotten into collecting. Started off with a few iphone 5 scams that had perfect serial codes. Apple said they were never activated, yet upon opening the box, charger was fake and so was the whole box. Text on the stickers in the back of the box had typos. Yet im still astonished as to how the serial was fakes. the box serial matched the outside of the phone and the inside software. It was running a late ios so it was definitely activated and probably refurbished.

My question is that when checking for serial codes, some say that the purchase date is not validated. does that mean that the phone/ipod might be new or never activated? ive seen many examples such as
1607716942207.png

what does this indicate? does it indicate that the product might be new but they dont have a date for it? or does it mean that it is activated but the purchase date is unknown?

I've seen others which say they have a valid purhcase date but say the warranty has expired according to an estimate date. does this show that the product might be new but the warranty that was purchased along side was never activated and eventually expired? or does this mean it has been 100% activated?
1607716877263.png

I am a total noob compared to most people on this forum so cut me some slack.
I would appreciate any help
Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.