Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enrincon89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Apple should make an Apple Watch Upgrade Program. The Apple Watch is getting more expensive every year. Last year the watch went up $50 and this year the price went another $100(I’m basing the price of a SS Apple Watch) i think the aluminum went up $70 this year. Another thing this watches don’t have good resell value.

What you guys think or I’m i the only one that thinks they should do this ?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I think you should look before you post.

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 9.10.49 AM.png

exgymnast

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2015
I think they should do the upgrade also, which is very different from the trade in. I would bet they would sell more if people could upgrade each year vs. getting a terrible trade in value.

Rian Gray

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
NJ, United States
I'm guessing what OP meant was installment program or an upgrade program, not a trade-in.

At any rate, from the look of it, Apple seems to be not sure where the smart watch line has to stand. From what I can remember, the original Apple Watch lines came with gold edition, worth 16k. It's hard to see a market (at least not in traditional smartphone installment sense) for a smart watch, when the price range is that big, especially when nobody was sure how the market itself would play out.

If Apple keeps only the current, more tech-centric lines, then I can see it happening as early as next generation of products. Actually even if Apple does release another 16k watch, it and other companies (like carriers) may as well refuse to finance that particular line but the rest.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I'm guessing what OP meant was installment program or an upgrade program, not a trade-in.

At any rate, from the look of it, Apple seems to be not sure where the smart watch line has to stand. From what I can remember, the original Apple Watch lines came with gold edition, worth 16k. It's hard to see a market (at least not in traditional smartphone installment sense) for a smart watch, when the price range is that big, especially when nobody was sure how the market itself would play out.

If Apple keeps only the current, more tech-centric lines, then I can see it happening as early as next generation of products. Actually even if Apple does release another 16k watch, it and other companies (like carriers) may as well refuse to finance that particular line but the rest.

The prices for the watches are really getting into instalment territory to be honest.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I agree. They are getting not expensive and Apple will only give me $125 trade in credit for mine, so I might as well pass it down to my daughter.

Marzel

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2018
The issue is that there loads of models with different materials and bands. In addition, the trade in value goes down very fast even more so for the SS watches and that’s a problem for Apple as well. They could do one for base aluminum configurations but that would greatly cannibalize SS sales which also generate crazy amounts of profits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.