Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anonymous420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
I just wanted to throw out some predictions about future Apple Silicon Macs. It would be outright retarded of apple to only use the M1 Pro & Max in only the MacBook Pro, my prediction is that they will stop selling the 21.5" and 27" iMacs and replace the 27" with a new 27" sized iMac Pro with the M1 Pro & Max, with something similar happening to the Mac Pro likely with an even more powerful option exclusivley for the Mac Pro. Maybe the option for the M1 Pro in the Mac Mini to kill off the remaining Intel Mac Mini which may be why the M1 Peo & Max are different chips, so in other words. M1= i5, M1 Pro= i7, M1 Max = i9 & ????? = Xeon (for the mac pro)

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
You don't need to be Nostradamus to see that's exactly what Apple will do. Of course they're going to replace the 27" iMac with M1Pro & Max... what else would they put in there? And of course there will be an even more powerful chip (or multiple chips) in the Mac Pro.

They stopped selling 21.5" iMacs quite a while ago, by the way.

Rumor has it that the new replacement for the 27" iMac will be released in Q1 2022. I doubt that rumor though since Q1 of 2022 for Apple is September 26 through December 25, 2021. Anything is possible, but my bet is it ships at the end of Q2 of 2022, which would be somewhere in late March of 2022. As far as the MacPro, I'm guessing it ships late in 2022.

Anonymous420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
You don't need to be Nostradamus to see that's exactly what Apple will do. Of course they're going to replace the 27" iMac with M1Pro & Max... what else would they put in there? And of course there will be an even more powerful chip (or multiple chips) in the Mac Pro.

Rumor has it that the new replacement for the 27" iMac will be released in Q1 2022. I doubt that rumor though since Q1 of 2022 for Apple is September 26 through December 25, 2021. Anything is possible, but my bet is it ships at the end of Q2 of 2022, which would be somewhere in late March of 2022. As far as the MacPro, I'm guessing it ships late in 2022.
Well, I just wanted to puy my opinion out there and lately apple seems to be very predictable, everytime a trusted leaker like Ming Shi Quo comes out with an Apple Leak its nearly always true, and the reason I thought the 27" Apple Silicon iMac would be the iMac Pro is because it has the Pro chips from the Pro MacBook so logically its the iMac Pro, especially since people rumour that it will come in space grey.

P.S. They are acctually still selling brand new 21.5" iMacs, they're just hiding it.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
yes, the bigger 27"+ imac could be called the imac pro and the smaller imac to be the one that is the light and colourful imac
The thing is if the 32 gpu cores could be under the current 27" intel one gpu and thats will be a first draw back since the transition started , since Apple will place the gpu in their charts under the 2 years old gpu from the current 27" imac

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
The most important thing here is the magnificent, bold, creativity-inspiring colors the new pro iMac will be available in... Gray, and Dark Gray!

[/end sarcasm]

Reactions: Bob_DM and JMacHack

Anonymous420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
The most important thing here is the magnificent, bold, creativity-inspiring colors the new pro iMac will be available in... Gray, and Dark Gray!

[/end sarcasm]
I think they might make a dark versions of the 24" iMac colours, imagine Navy Blue, Spruce Green and Molten Red coloured iMacs!

Anonymous420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
yes, the bigger 27"+ imac could be called the imac pro and the smaller imac to be the one that is the light and colourful imac
The thing is if the 32 gpu cores could be under the current 27" intel one gpu and thats will be a first draw back since the transition started , since Apple will place the gpu in their charts under the 2 years old gpu from the current 27" imac
Who knows. Maybe if they replaced the 21.5" iMacs (for some reason) it might be called the iMac Air and they might replace the 13" MacBook Pro with a 13" laptop just called the MacBook which would just be a MacBook Air with cooling fans. Maybe if that happens we could see the same thing happen to the non all-in-one desktop Macs so we would get a computer simpily named the Mac, which would be a next-gen Mac Mini with fans since I predict the next Mac Mini will be fanless.

Pro Apple Silicon

Suspended
Oct 1, 2021
You don't need to be Nostradamus to see that's exactly what Apple will do.
Especially considering we've already been told that's exactly what is happening.

In 2022 we'll get a:

Mac Pro mini w/ M1 Pro and M1 Max.
iMac Pro w/ M1 Pro and M1 Max.

Mac Pro w/ multiple M1 Pro/Max chips.

Anonymous420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
Especially considering we've already been told that's exactly what is happening.

In 2022 we'll get a:

Most likely correct, but what do you mean by "Pro Mini", do you mean the higher end Mac Minis that havn't been replaced yet?

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
First of all I don't think that M1 Max with 32 cores will be slower than 5700XT even though the initial geekbench scores suggest it. I think even inside the MBP, it'll surpass 5700XT when it comes to performance.

That being said, I also think that Apple will put 64 core GPU inside iMac 27" as a BTO option, which will be more than twice as fast as 5700XT.

And Mac Pro will get 64 or 128 core GPU's.

SirWill

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2021
Pacific Northwest

In 2022 we'll get a:

I thought that the new MINIs would be with the M2.. Pretty sure that was what I saw reported. I would expect if that is the case the new Mac Pro should have Multiple M2 Pro / Max chips. MINI will be M2, M2 Pro, and M2 Max. Just my thoughts. In fact I'd think any new machines coming out in 2022 at this point if the MINI M2 rumor is correct will be based on the M2 versions.

Pro Apple Silicon

Suspended
Oct 1, 2021
I thought that the new MINIs would be with the M2.. Pretty sure that was what I saw reported. I would expect if that is the case the new Mac Pro should have Multiple M2 Pro / Max chips. MINI will be M2, M2 Pro, and M2 Max. Just my thoughts. In fact I'd think any new machines coming out in 2022 at this point if the MINI M2 rumor is correct will be based on the M2 versions.
Some people seem to be in such a hurry for an M2 to come to existence. Apple isn't. They've demonstrated that.

The product we're talking about is the Mac Pro mini, a new product aimed to replace the high end Intel Mac mini.

Anonymous420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
Yes. Mac Pro mini seems a better name than "Mac mini Pro", especially if it has a new design.
Since the "Mac Pro Mini" inbetween the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro, I think it would be a better idea to simpily call it the Mac, or to not get confused with the entire mac brand, the Mac Mid/Midi, maybe even Classic.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
First of all I don't think that M1 Max with 32 cores will be slower than 5700XT even though the initial geekbench scores suggest it. I think even inside the MBP, it'll surpass 5700XT when it comes to performance.

That being said, I also think that Apple will put 64 core GPU inside iMac 27" as a BTO option, which will be more than twice as fast as 5700XT.

And Mac Pro will get 64 or 128 core GPU's.
with 64 gpu cores of course will surpass ..even higher gpu than that..not to mention that the bigger imac should have better cooling even than the 16" Mbp

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Since the "Mac Pro Mini" inbetween the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro, I think it would be a better idea to simpily call it the Mac, or to not get confused with the entire mac brand, the Mac Mid/Midi, maybe even Classic.
I vote for “Mac Pro, Mac Pro Pro, and Mac Pro Max”

Pro Apple Silicon

Suspended
Oct 1, 2021
Well regardless, what we've heard is that it is a Mac mini with an updated design and M1 Pro/Max chips.

Pro Apple Silicon

Suspended
Oct 1, 2021
I wonder if/how Apple will do multiple M# chips, or if they'll stick with a single chip with several dozen more cores? M1 Ultra perhaps? If they do multiple chips, since they're SoCs (ie CPU, GPU & RAM all in the same chip), what kind of interface would they have?
The rumors we've heard about the Mac Pro chips sound like a multiplication of M1 Pro/Max chips. And there are some that think Apple can't build a single SOC that large because it would be unheard of. It seems most likely there will be multiple M1 chips running in parallels.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
No. Mac is the name of the entire line of computers. It wouldn’t make sense to have a computer just named “Mac”.

“Today we are announcing some major updates for the mac” (wait which one? The lineup? Or the Mac mini style computer?)
Yes. Mac Pro mini seems a better name than "Mac mini Pro", especially if it has a new design.
IMO They’ll just call it the Mac mini.
They still sell the 21.5” on their website. It’s hidden pretty well but it’s there, same with the core i5 Mac mini too.

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
My guess:

- Mac Mini: Gets choice of M1 Pro or M1 Max

- iMac Pro: This one get a little tricky since as others have pointed out, the M1 Max wouldn’t quite give the GPU performance leaps that Apple has tried to do for each model being transitioned. Therefore I'm thinking the iMac Pro gets a choice of: M1 Max or a newly introduced M1 Ultimate with 20 CPU cores and up to 64 GPU cores.

- Mac Pro: This one is also tricky… Does Apple start Mac Pro on the M2 generation chips or does Apple complete the M1 generation with the Mac Pro? My guess would be the Mac Pro gets a choice of M1 Ultimate or an M1 ??? that would basically be (2) M1 Ultimates together giving us the rumored 40 core CPU and 128 GPU.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

They stopped selling. Retina 21.5" iMacs. Apple has no shame in selling non-Retina , old-as-dirt 21.5" iMacs with Intel Gen 7 , MBA processors from 2017 as "brand new" in almost 2022.

Rumors do not use Apple fiscal calendars to mark time. They just use the regular calendar. If there were folks talking about Apple fiscal reporting that is the only sensible time to map in Apple's fiscal calendar. Not product launch predictions. Those are about when folks can buy and/or manufacturing has started. Customers are spending money on their own time; not Apple SEC reporting schedule.

IF the iMac is using Max SoCs for much of its line up then it will probably will be delayed by the initial demand bubble of the MBP. The larger bubble the longer the slide will likely be.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I think its is reasonable to conclude that any product that has the M1 Pro inside of it will have Pro in the product name. There really is no reason to think otherwise.

iPad Pro --- M1.

lots of reasons.

That Apple has. "topped" the adjective "Pro" with "Max" means it is whatever Apple pulls out their butt goes.

P.S. wouldn't be surprising if the bigger Mac Mini chassis ( perhaps the current one if mainstream ones gets thinned out) gets called the Mac Mini Max. ( triple M ).

P.P.S. perhaps even extended up since "Pro" is midde-class , non pinnacle now there is a Mac Max ( instead of a middlingly Mac Pro ) for the. Max 2 and Max 4 ( Jade2C and Jade4C) SoC configurations.

Last edited:

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
That Apple has. "topped" the adjective "Pro" with "Max" means it is whatever Apple pulls out their butt goes...
I've never liked the "Pro, Plus and Max" monikers Apple chose to use on their products, now they've made it even worse by naming chips with them. As you point out, the product naming/marketing is going to be messy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.