Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJ_NUFC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I just began getting used to the ASK with my iPP 12.9, and suddenly it started giving me serious connection issues. As soon as the iPP is idle or sleeps, the ASK disconnects. And sometimes simply disconnecting it from the smart connector and reconnecting fixes the issues (which is in itself annoying), and other times nothing works, including rebooting. And I just end up sitting there hoping it starts working again. And usually after the umpteenth reconnect to the case, it begins working again.

Anyone had similar issues? I read somewhere that Apple had a free replacement program going on for these things, is that still the case?

Thanks.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I have this issue and doing an alt tab fixes it. Not sure what the keys say exactly as I don’t have it on me. But the alt tab view that you use to switch through open apps works on my end. (Even when the keyboard isn’t recognized at all)

After I do that, everything works.

Reactions: LRAJK and DJ_NUFC

DJ_NUFC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Goddamnit! LoL. I really like the keyboard, but don’t know what to do. I’m gonna take it into the store and see what they say anyway. Surprised Apple would design something so dodgy. The 3 small connectors seem way too small and mine seem to be depressed all the way in, which could be the issue. But it’s brand new, lol.
[doublepost=1514225314][/doublepost]
I have this issue and doing an alt tab fixes it. Not sure what the keys say exactly as I don’t have it on me. But the alt tab view that you use to switch through open apps works on my end. (Even when the keyboard isn’t recognized at all)

After I do that, everything works.

Interesting, I’ll try that next time it freezes up.

TBFoxRDMS

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
Goddamnit! LoL. I really like the keyboard, but don’t know what to do. I’m gonna take it into the store and see what they say anyway. Surprised Apple would design something so dodgy. The 3 small connectors seem way too small and mine seem to be depressed all the way in, which could be the issue. But it’s brand new, lol.

Took mine back for Apple Care replacement. New one is fine so far.

DJ_NUFC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017

Just to let everyone know, this CMD+Tab tip just worked! Not sure if this is how it’s gonna be for this issue going forward, but it actually just worked right now after my keyboard stopped responding again. Someone let Apple know, lol.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Just to let everyone know, this CMD+Tab tip just worked! Not sure if this is how it’s gonna be for this issue going forward, but it actually just worked right now after my keyboard stopped responding again. Someone let Apple know, lol.

Glad to hear that worked for you. I thought it was weird when I first figured that out, but it's continued to work. Lol

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
Same thing happens and the same thing fixes it for me. I use my iPad Pro 10.5 as my main computer so I find myself doing this fix multiple times per day. Really annoying and strange to come from apple.

rachelsgoldens

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
I had this happen to me with my 12.9 2015 edition. I ended up with another iPad and it works fine. It’s a common issue on the Apple Support Page. Lots of people change out the keyboard if it’s under warranty and that works for them.
I had bought the first iPad on Swappa and the ASK with a Pencil on eBay. It worked for a while then quit. Got a great deal on another iPad with an ASK on Swappa. both keyboards work flawlessly with the 2nd iPad. So I sold the first iPad and kept the 2nd ASK. Wish I had known the Alt Tab, would have saved myself some time and money!

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I experienced this issue, and took it to Apple. They said my model of Smart Keyboard was recalled for connection issues, and gave me a new one. It's now flawless as far as I can tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.