Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcociccone

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
Hi guys, i'm planning to buy a new iPad Pro and use it as a laptop replacement every time I can.
I'm still not sure if opting the 12.9 or 9.7 (I think the latter as I will use it for work and personal, and bring it with me everywhere).

Still I don't know which keyboard to chose. I would chose a Logitech Keys-to-go keyboard or the microsoft universal one... only when I need to work, standing on a desk. I really like the smart cover and its flexibility.

The thing is that I've tried the apple smart keyboard in store and I find it awesome for typing. I like how it feels and I can type fast.

Few questions to help me decide:
- is there any difference in iPad's battery life using a bluetooth keyboard vs the apple smart keyboard?
- do bluetooth keyboards produce any lag when typing?
- last, are all the shortcuts available on a bluetooth keyboard too (if it's optimised for iOS)?

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
In my experience the same keyboard shortcuts are available via both keyboard types - and there are plenty of them. I can exit my current app and start a spotlight search in one command (CMD+Space), tab through all open apps, and much more. If you hold CMD inside any app it will list the shortcuts available for you. For me the magic comes in not needing to charge the Apple Smart Keyboard, or connect it via the settings. If I put the iPad in the typing position I can type. I also experienced what seemed like faster drain with a Bluetooth keyboard - though I didn't measure this so it's purely anecdotal evidence.

In your case if you pick up either of the keyboards you mentioned, you will of course have a keyboard that is closer to normal size and larger (or at least wider) than your iPad. I have the 12.9", but I've used plenty of keyboards the same size as my iPad Air 2 (I'm actually using my Logitech Ultrathin to write this), and I find that the reduced keyboard size is not a problem - though I do tend to look at the keyboard a little more than usual (though from experience, this is because I've not been typing on this keyboard size for quite a while, but a quick test now is showing me I can type without looking at the keyboard at all).

So consider; will you be happy charging the keyboard (not constantly, it depends on how much you use it, but most have got long battery lives)? Will you be ok with waiting for the keyboard to connect (it doesn't take very long, but you do have to switch the keyboard on and wait a moment)? Are you ok having a keyboard that is not connected to your iPad and is bigger? (Of course, you'll be able to leave the keyboard at home, but because it's bigger you might do this more? Take your own personal "laziness level" into account for this - I found when I had a bigger keyboard I left it at home a lot!).

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
Regarding the charging situation of bluetooth keyboards:

I have an Anker keyboard for my iPad and since I bought it about two years ago I have to charge it about once every 3 months or so. And I use it a lot. So that's not really a concern. What bothers me a little bit sometimes is the 2-3 second delay between hitting the keys and waiting for the iPad to respond when I didn't use the keyboard for some time (like when your MacBook would fall into standby). And also, I think the physical connection is more comfortable as I would not have to switch bluetooth on/off on my keyboard.

Despite the wake-up-delay, there is no perceptible delay when hitting the keys of my bluetooth keyboard. This came up in some prior discussions.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
keep in mind bluetooth has its benefits too:

-Can work in tandem with cases/stands that have multiple positions-- can also work with iPad in portrait, something SKB cant do
-Versatility across multiple devices
-Cheaper
-volume/media/home button/camera buttons, as opposed to short cuts (or no solution in some cases)

SKB is cool for using butterfly mechanism, being magnetically connected, and apple integrated,
and if you're a fan of the smart cover, its a good transition

never was a fan of the silicone feel of the SKB or the one color option available

cargobrian

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2015
Long Island NY
I have both the ASK for the iPad pro 12.9 and the Magic Keyboard 2. I honestly like the Magic Keyboard much better as it replicates the feel of a real keyboard for me while also offering the extra function keys.

In fact, I now need to find a way to sell the ASK 12.9 keyboard and Apple case as I never really ever used them and do not plan on doing so.

I use the stilgut leather case with Magic Keyboard 2 and thats all I need.

Reactions: Synergie

Tacit37

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2014
I am still using my Logitech keyboard from the first iPad. Currently using Ipp 9.7

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I can answer that iOS is poorly optimized for the keyboard in terms of shortcuts

Not true, I have the Apple Smart Keyboard for use with my 9.7 iPad Pro and it provides a good number of shortcuts. Here's a partial list.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/11/20/ipad-keyboard-shortcuts-cheat-sheet/

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...84c-9c77-d2438e836ee1?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Shortcuts are App-specific, and you can see a list on the screen if you hold down the Command key.

I like the Smart Keyboard because it is portable and integrates well with the rest of the iPad to act as a cover. Since it is powered by the iPad itself through the Smart Connector, it does use some power, but that's the tradeoff for small and light. Your battery life may go down a tiny bit faster than if you were not using the keyboard, but in my observations it isn't much.

As for performance, it is surprisingly easy to type on, and has no lag. I might not want to use it all day, every day, but for me its a good keyboard for travelling.

Reactions: sracer and Booji

marcociccone

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
keep in mind bluetooth has its benefits too:

-Can work in tandem with cases/stands that have multiple positions-- can also work with iPad in portrait, something SKB cant do
-Versatility across multiple devices
-Cheaper
-volume/media/home button/camera buttons, as opposed to short cuts (or no solution in some cases)

SKB is cool for using butterfly mechanism, being magnetically connected, and apple integrated,
and if you're a fan of the smart cover, its a good transition

never was a fan of the silicone feel of the SKB or the one color option available

Using the keyword with other stands is exactly the main reason why I would opt for an external one. I love the flexibility of the Smart Cover while I read the Smart Keyboard is not flexible in terms of different positions. Another thing is different layouts: I'm Italian and the Smart Keyboard is available only with a US layout.

Thanks

Reactions: AlliFlowers

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I wish using the arrow keys could scroll within 3rd party apps and not just iOS apps. Other than that a lot of the keyboard short cuts in OS X are available in ios.
[doublepost=1464233149][/doublepost]
Still I don't know which keyboard to chose. I would chose a Logitech Keys-to-go keyboard or the microsoft universal one

I've actually just purchased the microsoft keyboard for the following reasons:

1. Great reviews(there's 100's of these keyboards out there)
  2. Price
  3. Ability to easily switch bluetooth connection to multiple devices
  4. Built in device stand(1up on the logitech keys to go)
  5. Useable on your lap
  6. Dedicated multimedia keys
  7. Size/mobility
  8. Built in cover
  9. Battery life
Only thing missing would be backlit, apple specific keys but you can't have everything I guess!

Last edited:

threee

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Atlanta
I bought the Keys-To-Go by Logitech. Its unbelievably thin and lightweight, and has a nice fabric cover similar to the Smart Keyboard. It's practically water resistant, and you could probably rinse it off, as long as you keep the water out of the micro-usb port at the end.

I really like the extra row of keys, which the ASK does not have. Media playback controls, volume, home, spotlight search, and more. I especially like that it's not attached to the iPad. I can sit comfortably back in a chair with the keyboard on my lap, if I want to, with the iPad on the table in front of me. I like this 'untethered feeling'.

It's bluetooth, but I don't notice much battery drain on the iPad, and no noticeable lag. Since it's so thin, i can slip it into the outside pocket of the iPad sleeve i have. You know, one of those pockets that are designed to carry a few papers in.Very nice fit. The main drawback is the price, which will cost you $70, if you buy it from Apple. Get it from Amazon, and save about $30.

IMG_1013.JPG

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
the keys arent as good as those on SKB (not surprised) but pretty nice and I just got the teal one myself

I like it :) also digging the media keys

UJND5qr.jpg

70oex10.jpg

Last edited:

threee

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Atlanta
Admittedly, I have never tried the smart keyboard. But I like the way typing feels on this one. Plus, with all the extra keys for volume control and music playback, it's much more convenient for me. I'm really baffled as to why apple didn't include those controls on their keyboard.

With a separate keyboard, I have the freedom to use any case, cover, or stand that I want. Actually though, I like to keep it simple. I didn't want to add much weight or thickness to an already heavier device (the 12.9"), so I have a bestskinsever skin on the back for some nice scratch protection, and the apple smart cover on the front. For me, it's the perfect combo. It's working out very well.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my ASK. I think I type faster on it than I ever have on any keyboard (and I was really skeptical), and I used to type quite a bit for a living back in my pre-kid and grandkid days. It is just so easy and you barely have to touch the keys.

I love that it's connected as soon as I attach it, and never has to be charged. It's just really an awesomely done keyboard.

I can usually base how much I love something on what I would do if it broke or I lost it. I would replace my ASK immediately if something happened to it.

Reactions: Precursor

threee

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Atlanta
Not enough space?

Well yes, in it's current design, there is not enough room for another row of keys. But if you look at it when the cover is closed, it sure looks like they had plenty of space they could have used, to make it large enough to accomodate that extra row.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well yes, in it's current design, there is not enough room for another row of keys. But if you look at it when the cover is closed, it sure looks like they had plenty of space they could have used, to make it large enough to accomodate that extra row.

And what about the part of the cover that folds into a stand? If they make the keyboard part bigger, what happens to that?

threee

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Atlanta
And what about the part of the cover that folds into a stand? If they make the keyboard part bigger, what happens to that?

Ah yes, I see your point. Please excuse me, that was just me not thinking three dimensionally. It's just a shame though, since those extra keys are super convenient for those who like to listen to music from their iPad Pro while they are doing other things, like trying to be productive.

Things like changing volume and skipping tracks are so much easier when you already have your fingers on the keys But alas, I think I'm just showing my lazy side.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Not enough space?

Admittedly, I have never tried the smart keyboard. But I like the way typing feels on this one. Plus, with all the extra keys for volume control and music playback, it's much more convenient for me. I'm really baffled as to why apple didn't include those controls on their keyboard.

With a separate keyboard, I have the freedom to use any case, cover, or stand that I want. Actually though, I like to keep it simple. I didn't want to add much weight or thickness to an already heavier device (the 12.9"), so I have a bestskinsever skin on the back for some nice scratch protection, and the apple smart cover on the front. For me, it's the perfect combo. It's working out very well.

Maybe they're keeping them for the Smart Keyboard version 2. ;)

Reactions: eyeseeyou

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I bought the Keys-To-Go by Logitech. Its unbelievably thin and lightweight, and has a nice fabric cover similar to the Smart Keyboard. It's practically water resistant, and you could probably rinse it off, as long as you keep the water out of the micro-usb port at the end.

I really like the extra row of keys, which the ASK does not have. Media playback controls, volume, home, spotlight search, and more. I especially like that it's not attached to the iPad. I can sit comfortably back in a chair with the keyboard on my lap, if I want to, with the iPad on the table in front of me. I like this 'untethered feeling'.

It's bluetooth, but I don't notice much battery drain on the iPad, and no noticeable lag. Since it's so thin, i can slip it into the outside pocket of the iPad sleeve i have. You know, one of those pockets that are designed to carry a few papers in.Very nice fit. The main drawback is the price, which will cost you $70, if you buy it from Apple. Get it from Amazon, and save about $30.

View attachment 633105

If the microsoft mobile keyboard doesn't work out I'll definitely look into this logitech keyboard.

Tcbmac

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
Zagg keyboard is awesome for IPP. Only negative to me is the weight, but many more positives... Screen at any angle, easy to separate, backside always protected, 2 year battery life, etc.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Zagg keyboard is awesome for IPP. Only negative to me is the weight, but many more positives... Screen at any angle, easy to separate, backside always protected, 2 year battery life, etc.

Zagg was good for all the reasons you've listed. At the same time it made me want to switch back to a 9.7 due to the overall increase in weight which made it resemble my macbook a lot more which imo made it a lot less a tablet.

Reactions: Night Spring
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.